VED: Government finally owns up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
So, the "majority of drivers" would benefit from the VED changes, eh?

Gordon Brown and other ministers repeatedly insisted that only a small number of drivers would be left worse off. There is a technical term for this: a lie.

Today the Treasury attempted to slip the real figures out in a parliamentary answer.

21.9 million cars will be on British roads by 2010/11.

43 per cent - 9.4 million - will pay higher VED

39 per cent - 8.4 million - will be no better off.

18 per cent - 4.1 million - will actually benefit.

Of the 9.4 million of us who who will be worse off, 1.18 million will be dragged into the highest two tax bands.

Once again a stupid attempt to mislead the public and parliament has blown up in their faces:mad:

Still won't stop it becoming the law though.

I know we shouldnt talk politics but......

can I just say :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Does anyone know from what registration year they are looking to start this from?
As previously and until present my january 2001 SL is the same as my 1996 C Class?????

Raj

I am finding it increasingly difficult to stop my self from writing a very politically incorrect and defamatory post concerning the state of politics in the UK at this present time.

Does anyone know from what registration year they are looking to start this from?
As previously and until present my january 2001 SL is the same as my 1996 C Class?????

Raj

I'm afraid it'll affect your SL badly.
Make it practically worthless, I reckon.
Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for, say £5k.
Doing you a big favbour, but cutting off my own hands, guv.
;)

I am finding it increasingly difficult to stop my self from writing a very politically incorrect and defamatory post concerning the state of politics in the UK at this present time.

Dont worry, it'll all be sorted out hopefully within 18 months.

I'm actually one of the ones who will benefit but only by £10 per annum by which time the rates will have gone up anyway.

I'm afraid it'll affect your SL badly.
Make it practically worthless, I reckon.
Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for, say £5k.
Doing you a big favbour, but cutting off my own hands, guv.
;)

Nice to know i have the option.......LOL

Thanks..... ( i think)

Raj

Now come on; did any of us actually believe the law is being changed so the effect would be "revenue neutral"? This government is in need of more money from us to fund all the worthy projects they have on the go.

Anyone know what the revenue shortfall on Stamp duty will be this year with house sales almost half what they were this time last year?? a few billion maybe - where will that "have" to come from.

The lickspittles in power make me want to hurl!

I very much doubt that any taxation change has been 'revenue neautral' for some time now!

David

I am surprised anybody is surprised by this

Gordon Brown and other ministers repeatedly insisted that only a small number of drivers would be left worse off. There is a technical term for this: a lie.

I'm actually one of the ones who will benefit but only by £10 per annum by which time the rates will have gone up anyway.

Presumably by dint of changing your car for a newer, lower Co2 outputting vehicle.

Without getting into the politics/taxation arguments it has to be said that this is a good method of encouraging people to switch to lower emission vehicles.
There may be a general increased burden in year one but as people switch cars, which they do regularly, they will be inclined to choose a model with a lower emissions rating, due to the focus this is generating.

As Alfie has found they will then actually be better off than under the current system. That will alter the figures of who is better/worse off considerably.

If one took a car such as a Ford focus diesel (a pretty mainstream car in the UK), then then owners of those cars will be better off under this system.

As DM has indicated taxation is a good way of changing behaviour. Without saying if I agree with need to reduce vehicle emissions or not the aspects of the governments approach to this I find absolutely unacceptable are the backdating elements of the policy and the dishonesty with which it is presented.

Dishonesty in pretending this is a green tax and nothing to do with raising revenue, even Greenpeace think its a bad idea, and dishonesty in pretending that most people are going to either unaffected or better off.

As DM has indicated taxation is a good way of changing behaviour. Without saying if I agree with need to reduce vehicle emissions or not the aspects of the governments approach to this I find absolutely unacceptable are the backdating elements of the policy and the dishonesty with which it is presented.

Dishonesty in pretending this is a green tax and nothing to do with raising revenue, even Greenpeace think its a bad idea, and dishonesty in pretending that most people are going to either unaffected or better off.
I have just listened to the Chancellor being questioned on this issue and he is saying it is to:

'encourage us to change our driving habits'!!

There is no way we can avoid making this political, and in mitigation I would suggest this is a motoring topic on a motoring forum.

Regards
John

There is no doubt in my mind that the motorists are being used to make up the shortfall in taxation revenue in all other areas. And its being hyped up under the green banner. Which as we all know is utter rubbish.
I would rather they were honest with us and tell us the truth and say its to maintain levels of income to treasury coffers.
Although perhaps the word "honest" is pushing it a bit. The last honest PM in my opinion was Macmillan.

I have made the ultimate green sacrifice(in my eyes at least) and I now cycle 22 miles a day to work and don't use my car to go shopping etc. I only use when absolutely necessary. However over the proceeding years I'll be taxed more and more to have my car sat on the drive, as far as I am concerned this taxation encourages me to use my car more to justify the expenditure! If tax was hiked on fuel I would use my car less but then the tax revenue would go down. I am not going to buy a new car a) because this is the least environmentally friendly option and b) because the goalposts will only change anyway.

I have just listened to the Chancellor being questioned on this issue and he is saying it is to:

'encourage us to change our driving habits'!!

There is no way we can avoid making this political, and in mitigation I would suggest this is a motoring topic on a motoring forum.

Regards
John

Think that is fair enough: directly on topic, especially so as "Heathcliffe" Brown also manged to announce whilst at the G8 meeting that by 2020, he wants all new cars sold in Britain to be electric or hybrid vehicles producing less than 100 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre, presumably whilst we eat all our crusts up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/07/08/eabrown108.xml

That, my friends, apart from being utter nonsense shows just how much in contempt the cash cow motoring public is held.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom