Veg oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mymini007

Car
Mini (real one) CLS320
I am looking again at selling my CLK, to get an old diesel, can anyone tell me if a an old merc diesel will run on veg oil without modification

Thanks

Treated with what?

If you put old veg oil in, say from your local chippy it will have lots of crap in it which will clog your filter and probably the pump too. There is a cleaning process that it goes through before it is deemed suitable to use in you car. Some people get all the gear to do it themselves in the garden shed and some buy it already treated.

I am looking again at selling my CLK, to get an old diesel, can anyone tell me if a an old merc diesel will run on veg oil without modification

Thanks

Yes it will. Pre 2000 better but CDI's will with conversion.

Read, read and then read again :D.

Your 306 D Turbo will do it too if you want to keep the CLK.

I sometimes stick a few dozen litres of sunflower oil in the vito if it is cheaper than diesel.

It then runs quieter, quicker and smoother.

Once there is a high percentage sunflower oil the fuel sender start getting unpredictable, I speculate that the fuel is getting foamy in the tank but it is only a guess.

I remember reading something about Lucas versus Bosch fuel pumps being something you should check but it might have been twaddle.

It is a plain 108d, a non turbo engine.

Last edited:
Everthing you need to know is covered by the web forum in Andyy's link above.
I ran a C250TD for 3 years / 25K mainly on my homebrewed bio.
I wouldn't say they're the easiest IDI engined cars to run on wvo/svo - those darn push fit fuel pipes, the all-embracing inlet manifold covering all the bits you need access to, the twin saddle tanks that can run dry with thick fuel when it's very cold.

Bosch equipped Pug 405, 306 seem easier, as mentioned above

Just remember that your vehicle will find it hard to start in the current temperatures we're having as it's alot thicker and the standard pump will struggle to 'pull' it through.

The lift pumps fitted to the OM 617, 603, 605, 606 etc are incredibly strong and could suck up coal tar. What I think happens when it's cold and there's a high percentage of veg oil being used is that the plastic pipes' O rings can 'fail', admitting air.

Alll I know is a friend used to collect old oil from chip shops, do a simple filter process in his gearage and use it 50/50 with normal diesel, it save him much money over a few years.

Think it was a 1998ish Mondao and he did no mods to it.

As a poster mentioned, starting in cold weather can be a prob if mix is too hi, 50/50 in a normal Uk winter was never a prob, guess running this veg oil in winter car should have a battety in good order, think he went upto 70/30 mix in the summer.

Good Luck.

I used to put 100% in the Summer in my Peugeot 406, in the winter I would put 70% veg oil and 30% diesel in, I couldn't bring myself to put 10% petrol in instead like some people do.
I think the Merc 250/300 engines are pretty robust on the stuff but from personal experience the 1.9TD found in many Peugeots and Citroens was great on it, just make sure it has a Bosch fuel pump as mentioned above, Lucas ones tend to fail, a bit like thier electrics and everything else they seem to do really.

Would it be able to run out of curiosty on heating oil or would that burn too hot ?

Would it be able to run out of curiosty on heating oil or would that burn too hot ?

Heating oil works perfectly but it is as illegal to use as red diesel.

the 306 had a lucas pump so would not work, but its also now dead, hence the inquiry.

Sorry forgot to mention the Lucas issue in my last post!, they seem to be common on 306s compared to 406s for some reason:dk:.

Heating oil works perfectly but it is as illegal to use as red diesel.

I was going to post about using Heating Oil (kerosene) as I have to buy 2000ltr every couple of months or so.. :( But at 70p a ltr, it looks to be nicely cost effective at the moment, as veg oil is as expensive as normal diesel...

Plus there is a shortage of 'used veg oil' with many chippies/restaurants leasing their oil...

Such a pity using heating oil is illegal :thumb:

Heating oil does not have the lubrication properties required so running neat will work but eventually expensive things like fuel pumps will FUBAR.

Just wondering if you could filter and then somehow treat used engine oil for the purposes of running a diesel car with it?

Old engine oil is really plentiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom