Veg Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
Hi There.

I'm thinking of starting to use Veg oil to run my W124 (250 TD)

Is it legal in UK? I've seen varying opinions, and am struggling to find out the truth.

I've done this before with a similar model when living in Germany, it ran well on 100%, (SVO) so I'm not looking so much for advice on how to, but am interested in the legalities.

Cheers all.

yes up to 2,500 litres per year is tax free.

find a good cash & carry to buy it - currently around 85p a litre

That's what I thought - can anyone point me to legislation stating that? Would be nice to see it written down. Can't find anything on HMRC site.

I've found it in Costco for 87.8 ( ina 20l drum) so that seems pretty good.

see the forum link on one of your replies above and look on that site - lots of info there and links

I've found it in Costco for 87.8 ( ina 20l drum) so that seems pretty good.

careful - if its KTC then check its not soy or soyabean oil - this causes the car to struggle to start in my expeirence and can cause polymerisation.

i'm keeping with rapeseed from now on. soy is ok if mixed with diesel - if you are going 100% stick to rapeseed.

do a search on here for veg oil - lots of stuff already and still in discusssion regarding veg in mercs. I run 2 W124's on veg.

Hi there, I still believe that incorrect advice is being given in the mistaken hope that those already using Veg oil are exempt from Duty that those producing their own Biodiesel are.

A thread was recently run with just these arguments:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48816&page=8

I would implore you to check the references I have given and if still in doubt contact HMRC directly.

By all means run your car on veg oil but be aware you MAY be in breach of HMRC rules and their powers are draconian.

Remember, ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

Steve

Hi Silversaloon.

Yes, I am a regular contributor. Not withstanding that a Forum is not the source of the real information. The only true arbiters in this matter is HMRC.

If you checked out the references I gave in the original posting (HMRC) you will see that un altered Veg oil will not meet the requirements of the definition of Biodiesel in that it does not contain the percentage of Esters required.

Steve

Thanks all for good infor.

So - where's good for soya oil then?

I'm based in Edinburgh.

Cheers.

Thanks all for good infor.

So - where's good for soya oil then?

I'm based in Edinburgh.

Cheers.

keep away from soya if you can! if you do get it, mix with diesel (not 100% veg) and buy the KTC bottles.

rapeseed is best. Bookers euroshopper and happyshopper brands are currently cheapest in UK.

Bookers is cheapest, then costco and makro.

i am also in scotland - i go to bookers. but edinburgh has all 3 so you can pick and choose!

go to the veg forum and check out 'cheap veg (not anymore)' thread

polymerisation

Just a short note on what can happen to the engone oil when running on veg oil. It happened to me, took a rebuild to get the jelly out of my engine!!!!

ALL diesel engines have a certain amount of fuel to engine oil contamination to a greater or lesser extent dependant upon many things, pre-combustion chambered engines tend to suffer less than direct injection engines. This is why, on any diesel, when engine oil is changed it immediately appears black again, this is soot / carbon deposits amongst other contaminates. When diesel contaminates engine oil it thins it out then most evaporates, when veg oil contaminates it thickens due to polymerisation and there is no evaporation. When engines are started from cold on SVO or a mix this ingress can be greatly accelerated. If you find that the dipstick level is rising the sump is filling up, it is a sure sign that your engine oil is being contaminated with veg oil, if left unchecked an overfull sump can cause damage. A simple test for polymerisation is to dip then get sample oil between thumb and forefinger, if it is sticky, CHANGE THE OIL, with converted engines in good condition this does not usually happen until normal service mileage is due, if at all. With converted engines we recommend engine oil changes every 5000 to 6000 miles, a good mineral based oil or semi synthetic oil is ok for some engines but a high spec plant based engine oil such as Plantomot 5w40 is even better as these oils resist polymerization well, conserve energy and are biodegradable. We advise use of these oils especially on higher powered engines and direct injection types. In extreme cases where the engine has gone way over its service interval and/or engine is not in good repair the engine oil can turn to sludge. BE WARNED.

PlantoMot sounds like a synthesised ester based oil, rather like a high grade fully synthetic. I can't find a materials data sheet for it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom