vegetable oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markheaney2

Car
mercedes s350 cdi 2010
i am currently running on tesco vegetable oil my car is a 124 e300 diesel 1995 multivalve i am currently putting 50 percent veg 50 percent diesel does anyone know if i can put 100 percent veg in the car drives exactly the same at the moment what are the down sides if any to running on veg it is only 39pence per litre

markheaney2 said:
i am currently running on tesco vegetable oil my car is a 124 e300 diesel 1995 multivalve i am currently putting 50 percent veg 50 percent diesel does anyone know if i can put 100 percent veg in the car drives exactly the same at the moment what are the down sides if any to running on veg it is only 39pence per litre

LOL. :crazy:

dosnt it damage the engine in the end?

Many seem to have come to the conclusion that whilst it is possible to run on 100% veggie oil for unmodded cars diesel/veggie oil mixes (plus some form of cleaning additive to reduce any gumming) are best especially in colder climates.

All these people of course have to self declare by filling in the forms and cough up the required Fuel Duty to Customs, the penalties for being found not to have done so being harsh. Members of this forum who use veggie oil, all having the proper degree of respect for the taxation rights of Government and the uses to which this money is put, will therefore obviously have thought long and deep about this and drawn an appropriate conclusion

A few (hopefully helpful) things:

first the good bit: If you go on Ebay and search for long enough you will find a guy that sells a CD full of information on all of the issues and benefits of running vegetable oil cars. A friend of mine who runs a veggie oil Saxo bought it and - contrary to all expectations on my part - said it was a genuinely good CD with helful advice. I think there are also a few web sites dedicated to this subject.

now the not so good bit: unless you get clued up on this subject from somebody who knows about it you will never be sure you aren't writing your engine's death warrant. It works for some engines and not for others, apparently.

now the bad bit: The Customs and Revenue "Service" have a field day with people doing this who don't declare it and pay the relevant tax. If you are not curently paying, be very careful! From memory, the maximum fine is something absurd like £20,000! It would be cheaper to save money by not insuring your vehicle (£250 fine) or generally mugging people (typically £50 fine). Both approaches seem to have the implicit approval of the current government.

now the quite good bit again: Apparently, according to my mate, even if you pay the duty you can still save money - you do it by buying your veg oil as if you ran an Indian restaurant - in other words, by the barrel.

Good luck!

Philip

Hi

Seems to work best between 30 & 50% after 50% performance seems to drop. Certainly makes them run a lot smoother and quieter, also mpg drops by 2mpg or so.

It is the fuel of the future.

Upto 100% will be Ok due to the pump being strong enough.
Injectors can coke up but only on engines run on very low load for long periods of time. This won't happen on a road vehicle.

As others have said, you should declare the fuel usage to Customs and Revenue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom