Veggie oil as diesel fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Goat Industries have an interactive fuel selection function on their site. This is what you get for an E320Cdi or any other modern turbo diesel unless you want to go for a full veggie oil conversion:

"Your vehicle has a computer controlled fuel system that can cause problems when using vegetable oil. You should on no account consider using 100% vegetable oil without a two tank system or a blend with a high percentage of diesel. If you look at the fuels database (see link above) you will find some vehicles that do run on veg oil and there is at least one example of somebody having a problem with starting on 100% cold oil. We are continually researching the compatibility of common rail fuel systems with vegetable oil fuels and will provide further advise when the information is available. If you really want to use veg oil in this type of vehicle use new rapeseed oil, not WVO or sunflower oil, and use it in a blend with a high percentage of diesel and an appropriate additive."

I used veg oil in two diesel citroens i used to run, one turbo, one non turbo, the engine managment wasn't computer run.
I covered over 155k in the non turbo using just veg oil, no additives or mixed fuel, i was told i'd get starting problems in cold weather, the filter will block,etc etc, well it ran exactly the same as normal diesel, no power loss or starting problems. Only ran the turbo diesel for 40k, again run as normal, would have liked to have seen if it made any differance to the life of the turbo. Now have a 250TD 1989, 220k miles showing when i bought it, let's see how it comperes with the citroens, i'll keep you posted. ;)

If it has a Lucas fuel pump don't run it on veg oil. I would recommend a 50% mix for a Bosch pump.

I have tried a Xantia on veg oil and of course it works ok.

Don't forget the diesel engine was originally designed to run on Peanut oil.

The biggest problems could be pump breakage, rubber seal degredation and coking of the injectors on a light load engine.

Don't run any Ford on veg oil as they use nitrile rubber seals not Viton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom