Veggie Oil in E300 Turbodiesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
samuelellis said:
any chance of findong that image?

I've had a search but I think it must have been on a site. The site has changed as it now belongs to a respectable business, not a bunch of experimenters doing it on the sly.

www.greasecar.com might be useful though.

Just been reading an article in this months Car Mechanics whilst waiting in WH Smiths for my wife.

They have a major article explaining the pro's and con's of running your car on Used Vegetable Oil.......too much messing about for my liking, however, it made some interesting points about Veg Oil in general.

Some of the points that stood out were are follows; Vegetable oil has much better lubrication properties than standard Diesel.

Secondly, that older style diesel engines can run on 100% veg oil all year round as long as they have a fuel heater fitted at a cost of @ £100 and more interestingly that CDi engines can run a 50/50 mix no problem.

Also states that Veg oil is better than Bio Diesel due to it lubrication properties etc.

Lastly, the Veg oil expert they were talking to also highlighted that Merc engines are the best in the business for running on Veg.... :bannana:

Vlad said:
Just been reading an article in this months Car Mechanics whilst waiting in WH Smiths for my wife.

They have a major article explaining the pro's and con's of running your car on Used Vegetable Oil.......too much messing about for my liking, however, it made some interesting points about Veg Oil in general.

Some of the points that stood out were are follows; Vegetable oil has much better lubrication properties than standard Diesel.

Secondly, that older style diesel engines can run on 100% veg oil all year round as long as they have a fuel heater fitted at a cost of @ £100 and more interestingly that CDi engines can run a 50/50 mix no problem.

Also states that Veg oil is better than Bio Diesel due to it lubrication properties etc.

Lastly, the Veg oil expert they were talking to also highlighted that Merc engines are the best in the business for running on Veg.... :bannana:

It wasn't me...honest!!

Hi all

This post has been very entertaining thanks to all who have subscribed.

Update

I have now done over 1500 miles on Lidl's finest and the only down side is that the car is slightly harder to start when cold (1 defective glow plug possibly the cause). Economy is the same 36+ mpg, performance is much better and so far i am happy to continue.

Also have made out a spread sheet listing how much i put in the tank and price etc.

230K said:
Hi all

Update

I have now done over 1500 miles on Lidl's finest and the only down side is that the car is slightly harder to start when cold (1 defective glow plug possibly the cause). Economy is the same 36+ mpg, performance is much better and so far i am happy to continue.

Also have made out a spread sheet listing how much i put in the tank and price etc.

Have you paid fuel duty on this yet or do you intend to ;)

Just curious! :confused:

Will

Will said:
Have you paid fuel duty on this yet or do you intend to ;)

Just curious! :confused:

Will

I am sure all those concerned on this forum fully understand their statutory obligations to declare duty payable and file the appropriate returns complete with full payment with HM Customs an Excise at the correct time.

And will act accordingly.

Satch said:
I am sure all those concerned on this forum fully understand their statutory obligations to declare duty payable and file the appropriate returns complete with full payment with HM Customs an Excise at the correct time.

And will act accordingly.

:D :D Do you write the Prime Minister's replies to any questions that he might be asked??? :D

glojo said:
:D :D Do you write the Prime Minister's replies to any questions that he might be asked??? :D

As I understand it the Prime Minister has a team whose job it is to push out such questions to the Ministers and Departments concerned. Having fully researched the matter in hand, they then submit a draft response which is reviewed by his office, Political Advisers and PR guru of the day. Once they are happy, the PM or an unlucky Minister gets to trot it out.

In all this, it is commonly held that he:

1. Never answers the question asked. The answer is to the question that he should have been asked if the person asking it had properly understood the issue in the first place. This save a great deal of time.

2. Never apologises. To do so indicates weakness and being prone to mistakes. Instead, one clarifies the stance taken and undertakes a policy review.

3. Never explains. This merely invites a debate or further questions from the ill-informed , which is unhelpful and wastes time. See item 1. above.

So, having given a full, acurate and complete answer to your question we shall move on to the next topic.

Satch said:
So, having given a full, acurate and complete answer to your question we shall move on to the next topic.

Ouch!!!

230K said:
Hi all

Update

What percentage are you running, or have you gone straight to the uncut version?

Dieselman said:
What percentage are you running, or have you gone straight to the uncut version?

Still 15 litres to ~45 litres of diesel. Fooling myself that this was 33% but is only 25%.

Also to those other guys the reason for the spreadsheet is with the intention to declare.

Hi

300 miles on 35ltrs is almost 39 mpg, seems pretty good to me. I cant get that sort of figure on diesel. Must be down to the oil ?
Cheap too at 46p/ltr.

According to the MB Manual E300. you can run on a mixture of of Kerosene and Diesel. 50/50.
Kerosene is only 40p per litre. Of course your supposed to declare the duty (forms available at your local post office).

I have a friend who runs his Passat on Kerosene and vegi oil 20 litr Kerosene to 3 lit Vegi Oil.

It runs very very well and no problems for years.

TIP. if you are buying kerosene. the supplier is obliged to inform the Customs and Excise if you buy 100ltres or more at any one time.

Stuart

For anyone with a webasto or eberspacher pre-heater you can run these off 100% veg oil - but aparantly need 1 tank in 5 to be diesel to 'clear it out' (presumably the gumming agents)...

as often fitted to E / S and sprinter class vehicles as a 'booster heater'

Im off to lidl.. or morrisons...

guydewdney said:
Im off to lidl.. or morrisons...

Your in for a suprise at Lidl it has went up from 43p to 53p/L:eek: :eek:

I love resurrecting old threads like this.........

Now you've done it!
So, same car? Same fuel mix? Same mpg? Same pump? Any long term test info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom