Veggie Powered Mercs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njpumphrey

Car
230e
Hi All,

I'm sure that by now most of you will have heard of veggie powered mercs, but I am trying it, and it works brilliantly.

What with the impending oil crisis I started looking into using 100% vegetable oil in my 1982 240TD. A little research told me that no conversion was needed, registration with Customs is free and easy (I have all forms and info if you are interested), and there are mixed benefits for the car. Namely, particulate emissions drop by up to 50%, with no drop in MPG, the engine runs slightly quieter, it is cheaper (even if you buy it fresh from Tescos and pay duty on it it's only 41p/L plus 26p/L Tax) and it is renewable. Personally, I particularly like the fact it is likely to piss of the oil companies :bannana:

On the down side it is slightly more sluggish to start on frosty mornings, the smell is not to everyones taste, and if you buy fresh oil there are a lot of bottles to recycle. As yet I haven't found a source of used oil I can filter and cut costs to 26p/L (although I have discovered a number of take-aways in my area that don't change their fryer oil and I will never eat from them again!).

It would be good to get a discussion going again about what models work on straight vegetable oil, and what experiences others have had with their cars or their Customs Departments.

Cheers,

P.S. Apologies if this message appears twice - I am new to this forum and it didn't appear to post first time around.

Welcome to the forums! We have already had a lengthy debate on this and I cant seem to find the thread relating to this.

Welcome to the forums!

I'm going to buy a late 80s 190D for £500 and run it on veggie oil for business purposes I think! Would save me a fortune! :)

I just love the idea of screwing the oil companies, giving the government less of my money whilst at the same time using a greener fuel.

I very nearly bought an old Montego Diesel Estate the other day for £50 just to try it out. My idea was shot down in flames by the missus coz she said the last thing she wanted to do was to be seen in a Montego - let alone smell of old chip fat. :eek:

Seriously though, it does send out alarm bells that no government has ever invested any time or money researching this form of sustainable fuel, especially as the idea has been around since the first ever diesel engine was developed.

It works.:p

But I can't stand the smell, really stinks!! Not of chips or doughnuts as I thought it might, but a really 'acidic' smell, makes your eyes water.:confused:

Wouldn't want to be in the car behind.:D

Originally posted by njpumphrey
(although I have discovered a number of take-aways in my area that don't change their fryer oil and I will never eat from them again!).

LoL! Priceless! :D

Seriously; If I were to try this, how should I go about? I guess the dieseltank should be almost empty, right? What I mean is; The two "fuels" are best of not mixed too much, aren't they?

It would be cool to try this during summertime..

Re: Re: Veggie Powered Mercs

Originally posted by Surf Blau
LoL! Priceless! :D

Seriously; If I were to try this, how should I go about? I guess the dieseltank should be almost empty, right? What I mean is; The two "fuels" are best of not mixed too much, aren't they?

It would be cool to try this during summertime..

From what I have heard, VW's and MB's can run quite safely on 100% SVO (staright vegetable oil), I know that 25% SVO mixed in with a tankful of regular diesel is OK, 10% is used quite often and is said to be beneficial to the engine.

Wouldn't recommend using WVO (waste vegatable oil) unless it has been processed, I know somebody who ran an old transit on WVO and it did not last too long!!

You need a dual tank system or a heater system if you want to run 100% SVO, you start on regular diesel, once warm switch over to SVO and make sure that you switch back to diesel before stopping.

All theoretical of course.;)

When Top Gear tried it didn't they mix 95% oil to 5% something like white sprit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom