Vehicle inspection report E200 coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IF the MB part carries both the MB part number AND the manufacturer's part number, then you can buy the part without the MB branding and it will be of identical spec and quality as the MB part (though it won't have the same warranty).

But where the part only carries the MB part number, but not the manufacturer's part number, you are correct in saying that simply buying parts from the same manufacturer does not guarantee the same spec or quality. One example is Varta batteries, you can buy MB-branded Varta batteries or you can just buy Varta batteries, but the MB-branded batteries do not carry a Varta part number, and so there's no way of knowing if the Varta-branded batteries are made to the same spec and quality as the MB-branded Varta batteries.

Of course, you can always argue that parts made by a Tier-1 manufacturer will in general be of good quality, but again you are right in saying that they won't necessarily be made to the same spec.
All valid points but I was also pointing out that there is a lucrative market in fake parts and many have manufacturers logos and part numbers stamped into them.

A little caution should elicit good quality and good value parts. 👍

Rewatched Mercedes video and Front pads are 4mm and rear 3mm disks 29.1mm .They say 30mm is the manufacturer minimum. They do say a light will come on when pads need changed. Question really is how long.
Thanks to all for the replies

Rewatched Mercedes video and Front pads are 4mm and rear 3mm disks 29.1mm .They say 30mm is the manufacturer minimum. They do say a light will come on when pads need changed. Question really is how long.
Plenty of life left in them

That's not catastrophic, but yes they should be replaced.

Something I learned a few years ago after having a pair of new discs that went bad almost directly
causing vibrations when braking:

The reason, a mechanic told me is that brand new discs fresh off the factory should be
"used" carefully, as the crystalline structures of the metal needs time to age and stabilize.
This can take some time.

Something I learned a few years ago after having a pair of new discs that went bad almost directly
causing vibrations when braking:

The reason, a mechanic told me is that brand new discs fresh off the factory should be
"used" carefully, as the crystalline structures of the metal needs time to age and stabilize.
This can take some time.

All discs I've ever fitted came with the instructions that the new discs and pads should be run-in for the first 200km (125 miles), avoiding continuous or harsh braking. I have not fitted discs myself in many years, so have not seen the original box, but I'd be surprised if the instructions today were any different.

Interesting, had to Google that and it did say heavy braking can cause overheating that will effect the discs friction coefficient and cause uneven braking. Didn't say if it was temporary or permanent, sounds like this can be caused at anytime, not just on new discs/pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom