Vehicle Tracker advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwladok5

Car
C220d
Hi!

I've had a tracker fitted to my C220D but I'm not happy with the service being provided by the Provider recommended by the installer.

Is it possible to switch to another provider & can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks

No, you'll have to have it re-installed with a different tracker system. We like Smartrack or ScorpionTrack
R

Another recommendation for smartrack.
Great company and backup service.

Not had good service from "tracker" so they lost my business of 6 cars I had with them.

Tracker have been good to me, had a few connectivity alarms and they sent an installer to replace the hardware free of charge years after it was originally fitted.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I have been using a DIY tracker for years. I can call it and it responds with details like lat/Lon, Speed. If the Ignition is on or off and a link to google maps showing exactly where the car is. I could also listen in to any conversations that were going going on inside the car and have the option to cut the power to the fuel pump or activate some other electric device.

tracker was around £30 and costs me £5 a year for the sim card

Last edited:
I have been using a DIY tracker for years. I can call it and it responds with details like lat/Lon, Speed. If the Ignition is on or off and a link to google maps showing exactly where the car is. I could also listen in to any conversations that were going going on inside the car and have the option to cut the power to the fuel pump or activate some other electric device.

tracker was around £30 and costs me £5 a year for the sim card

Your experience bucks the trend with these cheaper systems. We have seen many fail. Should also point out that disabling the car remotely is extremely dangerous and hence illegal.

Well, I am now on my second but still cheap. Of course it doesnt count as a tracker so there are no insurance gains to be had, just peace of mind.

I don't have anything enabled to cut the power (but it could be enabled to do anything, sound the horn, flash indicators etc) but I am sure I read that as long as power is removed only when the car is stationary then its permissible?

Is it only the UK where you cannot remote disable a car as every other modern country seems to allow it legally

Last edited:
Well, I am now on my second but still cheap. Of course it doesnt count as a tracker so there are no insurance gains to be had, just peace of mind.

I don't have anything enabled to cut the power (but it could be enabled to do anything, sound the horn, flash indicators etc) but I am sure I read that as long as power is removed only when the car is stationary then its permissible?

Is it only the UK where you cannot remote disable a car as every other modern country seems to allow it legally

Not sure about other countries but yes when its stationary you are fine. The issue comes with disabling it as its travelling along the motorway at 70 MPH (or more) and suddenly losing power, power to steering and brakes!

These cheap devices are particularly useful if ones teenager borrows the car ;-)

Can see only one reason to fit a tracker into privat ovned car. That is if you have dumb kids whic ones sometimes uses your car.
Dont think that tracker will help to find your car if it's stolen.
Nowadays almost all thieves caring little device's which ones will knock all trackers off. Even most expensive ones.
Problem is that everybody can buy them online.

Attachments

• Signal-Jammer.jpg
    Signal-Jammer.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 8
Can see only one reason to fit a tracker into privat ovned car. That is if you have dumb kids whic ones sometimes uses your car.
Dont think that tracker will help to find your car if it's stolen.
Nowadays almost all thieves caring little device's which ones will knock all trackers off. Even most expensive ones.
Problem is that everybody can buy them online.
No, you'll have to have it re-installed with a different tracker system. We like Smartrack or ScorpionTrack
R
R

I've just realised I've got Smartrack!! I was unhappy as they do not use mobile SMS to warn you of vehicle movement. I have their alert email set up as VIP with a unique sound to warn me of vehicle movement but even then, because of android email settings, there could be a 15 min delay in advising you. I do like the vehicle movement mapping though. I think their account app is only PC friendly & will not work properly on ipad or android.

I've got Smartrak on a car and I use the Iphone App.

If your vehicle is fairly recent, you can track it via the Mercedes Me app.

Edit: yup. Just where I left it.
Locked up and windows closed too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dSzxKsLzJ78cHTHPA
Hi Ted, Does your insurance company recognise this?

My insurance company (LV.com) seem to recognise it, she says so long as its a device which is always activated, and can be tracked using either a mobile phone, or a call centre

Last edited:
Hi Shaun - I’ve not tried it, but I may give it a go at renewal time.:thumb::thumb:

Hi Shaun - I’ve not tried it, but I may give it a go at renewal time.:thumb::thumb:
can I just confirm something please Ted.
Does the tracking function work regardless of where your phone was last in the car or not then, i.e. if someone else drove your car, could you track its location?
Can you track the route its travelling?

From what I’ve read the Mercedes me tracker is very easy for a car thief to disable and the App will still show your car in the same place . It’s a nice feature to have but I wouldn’t count on it giving you any sort of tracking information of your vehicle is stolen.

The tracking function uses its own sim - I’m 99% sure that it is the same one for the SOS function.
I’ve tracked Mrs Ted (with her permission of course) but the updates are not very frequent - probably every three minutes or so.
God only knows why she chooses the route she does.
can I just confirm something please Ted.
Does the tracking function work regardless of where your phone was last in the car or not then, i.e. if someone else drove your car, could you track its location?
Can you track the route its travelling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom