Vehicle Trackers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I'm thinking of getting a tracker fitted for insurance purposes...

Am I right in thinking that there are only 2 kings:
GSM and GPS?
Of which the GPS can be real-time (Active) or historical (passive); right?

Any you would recommend? Is there a review site? I can't find too much information other than that which sellers offer...

Are the cheap (30/40 pound) chinese ones that you can send a txt too and view a map on your pc worth anything?

Thanks in advance,
Michele

I assume you have looked at Tracker Web-site.

Tracker

I don't necessarily recommend them, but have had them fitted to my last few New Cars by Mercedes Dealership.

Last car had "Tracker Monitor" which is supposed to ring you if car moves on lowloader without the key in.

Tracker took 6 months to confirm my unit was fitted on my CLS, although they had it on their system, but some problem with payment record from Dealer. They assured me that I was covered meanwhile.

I'm thinking of getting a tracker fitted for insurance purposes...

Am I right in thinking that there are only 2 kings:
GSM and GPS?
Of which the GPS can be real-time (Active) or historical (passive); right?

Any you would recommend? Is there a review site? I can't find too much information other than that which sellers offer...

Are the cheap (30/40 pound) chinese ones that you can send a txt too and view a map on your pc worth anything?

Thanks in advance,
Michele

If you're fitting a tracking system for insurance purposes, you need to check with your insurers to see which ones meet their requirements.

And preferably get it installed in a location of your choosing because the standard spots are well known to the wrong types of people

1. Unless you are told by your insurers you need one, don't bother.

2. On a w202 it is really unlikely you will wither need one for insurance or gain a discount for one. Maybe if you have an agreed value on a C55 or something or have a C43 in a particularly bad area, even so C43's aren't worth enough now.

Insurance companies don't want trackers to deter theft as they don't (the tracker should not be advertised) they only want them to minimise payouts on high value motors.

1. Unless you are told by your insurers you need one, don't bother.

2. On a w202 it is really unlikely you will wither need one for insurance or gain a discount for one. Maybe if you have an agreed value on a C55 or something or have a C43 in a particularly bad area, even so C43's aren't worth enough now.

Insurance companies don't want trackers to deter theft as they don't (the tracker should not be advertised) they only want them to minimise payouts on high value motors.

Its not going on the c-class ;) Its going on my new bike... I'm just looking for ways to lower the insurance :p I've got:
datatagged
fortress 3 garage door anchor
fortress 1 ground anchor

Still to come is a brake-disc lock and maybe the tracker... I'm probably going ott; but I like the idea of knowing where the bike is at all times! (I fully agree, its useless on the 202 - I didn't have one fitted to the Z3 when that was practically new!)

Just a thought, its worth ringing up tracker to find out if your car has a tracker or not. My friend called tracker on 0500 090909.
give your reg and chassis number, they will tell you if it has one or not.

Just a thought, its worth ringing up tracker to find out if your car has a tracker or not. My friend called tracker on 0500 090909.
give your reg and chassis number, they will tell you if it has one or not.
Easy life for car thieves, eh? Chassis number is on the windscreen on most cars

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Ahh I was tricked into replying to a bike thread!

in my limited experience, if the insurance company don't require a tracker, they won't give you any discount to have one. that was the case with my BMW 320td. a previous owner had installed a tracker but I saw no advantage to enabling it.

insurance required me to install a tracker on my slk though.

that all said, tracker lieftime membership's seem a horrendous deal though. £300 for "lifetime membership" that expires when you sell the car. not at all transferrable to a new owner. so you need to know you're going to own the car for three years to make it worth while.

dave

in my limited experience, if the insurance company don't require a tracker, they won't give you any discount to have one. that was the case with my BMW 320td. a previous owner had installed a tracker but I saw no advantage to enabling it.

insurance required me to install a tracker on my slk though.

that all said, tracker lieftime membership's seem a horrendous deal though. £300 for "lifetime membership" that expires when you sell the car. not at all transferrable to a new owner. so you need to know you're going to own the car for three years to make it worth while.

dave

I agree entirely with your comments.

My last car had lifetime tracker and I sold it after three years. My CLS had a year payment and it only lasted 10 months.:D

<maniacal evil laughter>:devil:

I was thinking of those GSM trackers - i.e. they are pay as you go - until you request a track; they don't charge you. (Really, all they are are a glorified mobile phone without speakers)

You then use a site like trackus.co.uk to get the phone/tracker pinpointed when you need it...

Do insurance companies "understand" these?

Michele

i have the RAC trackstar+ great system and it works as i had a false alarm on it and when they call me to check with me if all was ok - they could pin point exactly where my car was and even gave me the house address spooky big brother!! and it was only £450 fitted + £10 per month rental and you can have it transfer to another car when you sell the current car its on -

compared to Trackers one at £1000 fitted and it has to stay on that car too! so when you sell it goes too!

Yes you right, it can be. I called tracker today and I didn't even know that my ML270 had a tracker. It has a Tracker Horizon. Well I needed this because some insurance companies won't insure me without one. (NOT A PREFERANCE) Saved myself a few hundred pounds on instal.

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

well i glad they cant see if mine has one or not by just giving over the chassis number :)

Originally Posted by bolide

If its on the bike you should have a Thatcham rated alarm/immobiliser too - that will affect insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom