Venus Williams new video evidence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Regarding the 2nd clip above:

shouldn't she have waited in the centre of the carriageway until her exit was clear of the silver car? :dk:

Many years ago I asked my driving instructor if I can clear the junction (after waiting for a right turn) even if the light turned red. His reply was "Yes, if it is safe to do so".

Assuming same rule applies in the US.... then clearly it was not safe for her to do so?

I'm afraid I am not sufficiently aware of US intersection rules. Seems strange if ? they are controlled by lights at the exit rather the entrance to the intersection?? 8 lanes wide is quite a distance to traverse. In the UK I don't think you are supposed to enter an intersection unless your exit is clear but they are much smaller. The animation fails to show other stationary vehicles which may have obscured both parties view? And altho difficult to see in the distance it didn't appear to me that Hyundai was doing 25mph as reported. Sounds as if the victim received a fatal head injury- was he restrained - did the airbags deploy? Finally does a green light denote right of way at an intersection or proceed with due care and attention. Just questions no answers. Such was the timing that the Hyundai drove into SUV rather than vice versa

Last edited:
Regarding the 2nd clip above:

shouldn't she have waited in the centre of the carriageway until her exit was clear of the silver car? :dk:

As much as the driver of the Hyundai should have made sure that the clear passage through the junction.

It is (as they say) a tragic accident and I do not think that there is any blame. As they man says, had Venus continued she would have hit the car ahead.

My opinion based on the information I have seen and read is that this was a tragic accident where no one was to blame.

As much as the driver of the Hyundai should have made sure that the clear passage through the junction.

It is (as they say) a tragic accident and I do not think that there is any blame. As they man says, had Venus continued she would have hit the car ahead.

Sorry Bruce, I think I misled you. I meant the silver car that was in front of her not the Hyundai that hit her.

Sorry Bruce, I think I misled you. I meant the silver car that was in front of her not the Hyundai that hit her.

Same answer from me. The Hyundai driver did not anticipate any obstruction at the junction. Had they done so then they would have easily avoided the collision.

Graeme's point is valid US junctions are controlled differently to the UK as are red lights etc. That said, it is still beholding on all to anticipate..

Were Venus a pauper i suspect there would be no law suit.

Yeah that definately looked faster than 25mph!

I think they might be looking at the airbag recorder which shows the speed at the time of the impact; but if the Hyundai braked then it would have been traveling faster than that when it entered the junction.

But I agree that given the size of the junction, at 25mph the collision should have been avoidable.

Also there's a difference between legal culpability snd common sense.

Common sense says always enter a junction with proper observation and care even if you have right of way or green light; but the justice system simply looks at the law to establish culpability.

maxresdefault.jpg

This makes interesting reading especially the sections referring to possible pre-collision speed calculation error due to incorrect tyre rolling radius and locked or slipping wheels.
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/mcaa-mn.or...rp/Resources/EDR_Overview_2-2015_-_Virgin.pdf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom