Very green at Glasto.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saving the planet one discarded plastic tent at a time...

"You Boomers are killing our planet" ;)

£280 for a ticket and they can still afford to leave a tent etc behind. A quote from the Spectator about cleaning up a previous Glastonbury summed it up for me. No doubt this years will be similar or worse :

.... it took 1,300 volunteers three weeks and around £780,000 to clear up around 5,000 tents, 6,500 sleeping bags, 400 gazebos and 54 tonnes of cans and plastic bottles. What sort of half-witted hypocrites applaud Greta Thunberg but don’t bother to pick up their trash?

Jeeeez Louise, what a feckin' mess:mad:

Let's face it , none of the big stars walked there (all too old to walk) or paddled down the river Parrett in a hessian canoe . Lear , Rolls Royce and Bell would have been the transport of choice.

Even the bloke fro Kasabian said he was staying in a hotel in Bristol every night , and he hasn't played Glastonbury for about 8 years . It would be better if they just admitted what a (relatively small) drain on the Earths recourses the whole thing was and just enjoyed it without the pseudo 'green' $hite they all spout.

The bloke next to me on the way to work today had to woken up to put his seatbelt ON before we took off. I wondered what the F was wrong with him , then I spotted the Glastonbury wristbands . He damn near shat himself when we hit the ground a bit hard in Frankfurt a few hours later :p.

My guess that was the first 3 hours uninterrupted sleep he had got all weekend :banana:

On a similar note.

In Greenwich last night I pulled up at a set of lights and there was a xr swampy type on a moped sticking ban oil posters to a wall whilst sucking on a disposable vape. When I questioned what his moped ran on I got a earful of abuse :)

On a similar note.

In Greenwich last night I pulled up at a set of lights and there was a xr swampy type on a moped sticking ban oil posters to a wall whilst sucking on a disposable vape. When I questioned what his moped ran on I got a earful of abuse :)
Almost as bad a celebrities that enjoy virtue signalling, whilst jetting all around the world!🙄

I don't disagree with the comments about all the rubbish left behind.... But regarding EV charging - they've got to provide something, right? People drive EVs. People go to Glastonbury and need to charge them. Just because that one charge was "dirty" by burning diesel, it doesn't invalidate the overall EV ownership.

Just because that one charge was "dirty" by burning diesel, it doesn't invalidate the overall EV ownership.
No, but it does underline one of the drawbacks.

No, but it does underline one of the drawbacks.
Is it a drawback? An EV occasionally gets charged by diesel (maybe 1 in 100 times) whereas an ICE car burns diesel or petrol on *every* tank fill. And the ICE car potentially makes those emissions in a built-up area vs in the middle of nowhere.

I don't think we should cry foul every time we see an EV being charged by non-renewable sources, until our all our ICE cars are powered by 100% renewable biofuels.

Is it a drawback? An EV occasionally gets charged by diesel (maybe 1 in 100 times) whereas an ICE car burns diesel or petrol on *every* tank fill. And the ICE car potentially makes those emissions in a built-up area vs in the middle of nowhere.

I don't think we should cry foul every time we see an EV being charged by non-renewable sources, until our all our ICE cars are powered by 100% renewable biofuels.
Long, well, very long, extension lead!🙄🤣

I don't disagree with the comments about all the rubbish left behind.... But regarding EV charging - they've got to provide something, right? People drive EVs. People go to Glastonbury and need to charge them. Just because that one charge was "dirty" by burning diesel, it doesn't invalidate the overall EV ownership.
Why have they got to provide something? I didn’t see any diesel or petrol pumps being provided.

Why have they got to provide something? I didn’t see any diesel or petrol pumps being provided.
I don’t suppose they have to, but it’s in recognition that some visitors will be arriving in EVs and the local infrastructure isn’t geared up for a huge influx of EVs.

I suspect that there are far fewer EVs “away from home” in the area on the other 361 days of the year and so it’s more cost effective to invest in temporary capacity.

Makes sense to do it IMHO. Helpful for visitors. Considerate to neighbours. Reduces the need for breakdown assistance. Everyone is a winner.

Well except the goldfish, which diws days or weeks later. Hang on, that’s wrong event in a field.

I don’t suppose they have to, but it’s in recognition that some visitors will be arriving in EVs and the local infrastructure isn’t geared up for a huge influx of EVs.
Why should venues make exceptions? That’s the trouble with the “EV’s are great, ICE are bad” message. It’s distorted to encourage people to believe all is well when it patently isn’t.

It was the choice of the EV drivers to take their battery-powered cars there, so they have to accept the consequences.

but then the local infrastructure also couldnt cope if every ice car driver decided to fill up before setting off home

Why should venues make exceptions? That’s the trouble with the “EV’s are great, ICE are bad” message. It’s distorted to encourage people to believe all is well when it patently isn’t.

It was the choice of the EV drivers to take their battery-powered cars there, so they have to accept the consequences.
👍👍 ^^^

My bro in law has an EQC and they plan their long journeys very carefully, if there looks to be any grief or charging issues they’ll take my sisters E Class cabrio. (A diesel).
It’s actually becoming a pain in the butt tbh.

My post above was a bit tongue in cheek, but the point is that I don’t pitch up somewhere without the capability to get home and then expect everyone else to part fund my return journey. Which is exactly what the diesel-powered EV charging shenanigans did at Glastonbury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom