Very high spec S211 E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a really nice & perfectly good/well looked after 79k 2003 E240 Avantgarde 7 seater estate which drives really well and a ton of car for £4k.

Still leaves me half wanting an E55 though. Then the other half the time you think this is perfectly fine and more than adequate for 90% of my journeys. The 2.6 petrol V6 is nice and smooth and the ride is very comfy.

However.

Every time I compromise, be sensible and use my head though it leaves my heart a little emptier. Also leaves that little banker for maybe what I should have bought.

I guess it depends on how much you let your heart or head rule you??

Your welcome to take my E240 for less than £4k & what I paid for it from Olly a few months back & force me to replace it with an E55!

Last edited:
I think the issue for me is having done the E55K for 5 years, whilst it still drives really well and presses on incredibly well, I feel like I've done it to death now.

I did the statutory upgrades and I'm even used to 600BHP now - it doesn't really feel that fast but I know it won't be long before it reaches the limits of a standard car and I'm not interested in tuning it any further anyway. I know I'll get nothing else in my budget with that sort of power but I don't even care that much now. I actually drive sensibly most of the time now, and have done for a few months. Maybe because I hit 40, maybe because my mum went. Who knows. My E just doesn't excite me anymore but I am not looking for something more extreme - if anything more comfortable and more sedate for a while. As SPX suggested to me, try a 4x4 which although is not for me, I'm thinking of trying something else for a while to see what the lie of the land is after that.

If the yearning comes back, I can always hit an E63 5.5TT.

There aren't a great deal of alternatives that tick enough of the boxes for me.

LS460 ticks some but I imagine I will end up slitting my throat once the novelty of driving a loaf of bread wears off.

rockits' XJ is a fantastic looking car - I really love them in black and I am tempted but I just don't feel ready for one yet (similary the LS460).

I wish I couldn't care less about cars sometimes. :wallbash:

I think the issue for me is having done the E55K for 5 years, whilst it still drives really well and presses on incredibly well, I feel like I've done it to death now.

I did the statutory upgrades and I'm even used to 600BHP now - it doesn't really feel that fast but I know it won't be long before it reaches the limits of a standard car and I'm not interested in tuning it any further anyway. I know I'll get nothing else in my budget with that sort of power but I don't even care that much now. I actually drive sensibly most of the time now, and have done for a few months. Maybe because I hit 40, maybe because my mum went. Who knows. My E just doesn't excite me anymore but I am not looking for something more extreme - if anything more comfortable and more sedate for a while. As SPX suggested to me, try a 4x4 which although is not for me, I'm thinking of trying something else for a while to see what the lie of the land is after that.

If the yearning comes back, I can always hit an E63 5.5TT.

There aren't a great deal of alternatives that tick enough of the boxes for me.

LS460 ticks some but I imagine I will end up slitting my throat once the novelty of driving a loaf of bread wears off.

rockits' XJ is a fantastic looking car - I really love them in black and I am tempted but I just don't feel ready for one yet (similary the LS460).

I wish I couldn't care less about cars sometimes. :wallbash:

That 600 has your name on it mate. They are magnificent cars with no compromise in performance. Sedate and silent when you need them to be and very rewarding when you put your foot down.

That 600 has your name on it mate. They are magnificent cars with no compromise in performance. Sedate and silent when you need them to be and very rewarding when you put your foot down.

It's not for me mate.

I have no desire or appetite to own a 10 year old V12 (or W12 for that matter) from any manufacturer!

I also don't like early new models either.

I suspect is has hung around for at least 6 months because not many other people do either.

I guess you would if you didn't have your current motoring commitments?

You mean this one don't you...

Mercedes-Benz S Class S600 L 5.5 4dr

I do like it though and it has one of the best colour combinations. Got the Passion Leather and comfort seats option by the look of it.

Also has a fridge like the S500 I looked at (which I would probably unbolt and remove as it is like a shoebox).

Just for the record - I am not looking for one...

However, I do quite like that burgundy one!

Just for the record - I am not looking for one...

However, I do quite like that burgundy one!

John, wake up and get a grip :) your only 40 not 60!

You will miss your E55 the moment it drives away

The XJ is a very good motor and I had it when I was 42 so you have a couple of years yet. Although one of my son's 8 year old friends got in the back once and promptly said....I love these cars....my grandad has one as well !!

I always wanted an XJ as remember my dad having an XJ when we were kids and drove it sitting on his lap. No seatbelt or other safety rules back then!

It was only until the latest shape I wanted one though. Would never have bought a previous model.

I think I need to drive an E55k to see what all the fuss is about.

I have never ever been bored by my 55K .. nearly 6 years and 50k miles later, I still love it when I drive it. each start is a delight

and being able to have almost instantaneous power with incredible overtaking ability still brings a smile to my face

and it also does cruising around comfortably in the city beautifully

and of course, it's utterly beautiful

I must admit, as I drove the car yesterday morning on some of the more open dual carriageways where I live which we quiet, it really reminded me what this car is all about.

It's all about the engine... and what an engine!

I think it is more than that. The engine is fantastic but the ride quality on air is supreme. You can drive it as fast as you like one minute, and then potter around like a limo another.

I am not coming here again ... I want it ... My wife wants it even ... but I have just bought a house that's a money pit so really bad timing.
Very very tempting though. If it had a pan roof I almost certainly would empty the piggy bank.
Someone buy it please quick.

Just for the record I bought this Plymouth E55K Estate 7 Seater ;) Nice example. Just having a couple of tiny dents taken out and a little paint. Drives really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom