Very high spec S211 E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Engine and gearbox are known strong points. In most modern cars of this type and brand level most gearboxes and engines are pretty solid/reliable. It is always the suspension, electronics and consumables that can eat away cash. Brakes, tyres, dampers, sensors, toys.

These are high performance nearly 500bhp cars and need the bits that make it so therefore they ain't going to be cheap to run. As long as you have a slush fund there to dip into when needed and spend when it needs it then the car will look after you. Cut corners or don't spend when it needs it and it can come up and bite you later. Often happens and is often why some cars go through many owners quickly and start to get poorly maintained.

I always spend money on my cars when it requires it. Service on the Maser last year was fairly cost effective but exhaust mods made it £2k. Spend on my first R129 SL500 in 1st year was £2k. The SL60 had a few things that needed doing that cost well into 4 figures+ over my ownership. Then Jay bought the SL60 and he must have spent £5-£10k on it to get it right upto scratch.

Don't hope or expect that these kind of cars will be cheap to keep/run. They won't be. If they are you have done well and it is a bonus. They should be a level down from other supercars though from Italy. Sometimes you can get 5 figures there!! My pockets aren't that deep.

A good indy will keep costs as low as they can be. If you can do bits yourself it keeps it further south still. AS long as you are aware, have your eyes open and a little slush fund all will be well.

So near enough £950 for a set of handles - the price does need to come down!

I would say the price already reflects these issues assuming the rest of the car is good.

That's annoying that 3x handles need replacing... It's one of those things that will require replacing in order to make the Keyless Go experience better.

Which reminds me... My rear off side handle has failed, need to add that to my to do list.

Always makes we wonder why the job hasn't already been done for sale or before that anyway. Especially as the owner works/owns the indy that has looked after/serviced it seems.

Exactly - I would want all the extras to work properly prior to purchase, or factor it into the purchase price, to get maximum enjoyment.

My heart says E55K but my head says Lexus LS460!

I doubt that on your deathbed you'll say "you know what, I wish I had bought that Lexi......"

Better to regret something you did do as opposed to something you didn't. :thumb:

Exactly - I would want all the extras to work properly prior to purchase, or factor it into the purchase price, to get maximum enjoyment.

If that's the case I think your fishing in the wrong pond. Or your at that budget should be focused on a lesser model so you could get a younger / less miles car.

LS460 and E55K are totally different animals in all departments - I'd probably try both if you aren't sure.

I would argue that an E55K will hold its value better.

The LS460 will feel totally detached and like driving a loaf of bread, whereas, the E55 has the air for fine ride quality but feels very nimble in comparison.

The Keyless go handles aren't £200+VAT, they're less than £150 including VAT:

ANDLE - E Class 1985 - 1994 E250D - Mercedes-Benz Parts, Inchcape

They come colour coded already so it's just a simple job to replace. One Torx screw and 5 minutes to fit tops.

You can't expect *everything* to work on a 10+ year old car being sold for a competitive price. Not all come with keyless go anyway so be grateful to have it :)

Likewise potential future expenditure. You can't chip the price down on what *might* go wrong someday. Nice if it's had recent work done on known trouble spots though.

These cars really are a bargain when you consider that was probably circa £80k new. What else can you buy with the same level of performance, comfort and luxury (and seven seats) for less? :cool:

All very valid points - I know the 2 cars are polar opposites but both would suit. The E55K could be less reliable but you have nigh on 500 hp whereas the Lexus should be really reliable but no theatre.

All very valid points - I know the 2 cars are polar opposites but both would suit. The E55K could be less reliable but you have nigh on 500 hp whereas the Lexus should be really reliable but no theatre.

That's exactly it.

Lexus aren't immune from issues although they are less likely.

Having said that, find a well looked after E55K, and you should be no worse off. Both can have expensive issues potentially but I think you mitigate with a cared for example.

I think another point worthy of note is that an aging LS will drop in value £ wise probably at the same rate as an E55 will cost you in maintenance (!)

Nice cars they are, reliable and comfortable with plenty of power but big saloons like these (S class, A8, etc) will always be seen as Luxo-barges and hence depreciate steeply until they're worth a grand or two. An AMG kept in good condition, although not immune to depreciation tends to retain a larger appeal due to an enthusiast following and in some instances rarity of the model.

IMHO of course :cool:

I'm speaking with my local Indy this morning as they state they have some good says if dealing with / repairing SBC and airmatic if / when they go.

I am also going to get a quote for replacement door handles to ensure keyless entry works all round.

The lure of that whopping great supercharged V8, fueled further by some of the videos online, is proving hard to resist!

I'm speaking with my local Indy this morning as they state they have some good says if dealing with / repairing SBC and airmatic if / when they go.

I am also going to get a quote for replacement door handles to ensure keyless entry works all round.

The lure of that whopping great supercharged V8, fueled further by some of the videos online, is proving hard to resist!

The handles are about £200 each and the process of replacement takes five mins per handle. Undo torx bolt, remove handle retaining block, remove handle, unplug connector. Refitting is a simple reversal of that process. The only hard bit is paying for the handles.

I've posted the part number and price for a keyless go handle above from MB Inchcape/Oxford (passenger side front). That's colour coded to the actual car you are looking at (744 Brilliant Silver)

Less than £150 including VAT.

The passenger side rear was the same price when I bought one a year ago. A 5 minute DIY job to fit (I can dig the part number out if you need it)

Don't understand where these higher prices quoted are being sourced from?

Who ever got charged £950 for three 211 door handles?!? Must be a mistake.

I went into parts yesterday to price up KeylessGo handles for an S211 E63 and they quoted £169 plus VAT list price, my discount brought it down to £165 including VAT.

I've posted the part number and price for a keyless go handle above from MB Inchcape/Oxford (passenger side front). That's colour coded to the actual car you are looking at (744 Brilliant Silver)

Less than £150 including VAT.

The passenger side rear was the same price when I bought one a year ago. A 5 minute DIY job to fit (I can dig the part number out if you need it)

Who ever got charged £950 for three 211 door handles?!? Must be a mistake.

There you go, £600 plus half hour of your time and your sorted.

I went into parts yesterday to price up KeylessGo handles for an S211 E63 and they quoted £169 plus VAT list price, my discount brought it down to £165 including VAT.

Are the facelift (211) different parts then? Or was it an unusual/designo colour? Because the part number I quoted used is the correct one for a 744 silver 211 E55 (that's the car in question!)

Did they give you a part number?

One of the first jobs I did on my E55K - two brand new keyless handles, less than £150 each with warranty :)

Are the facelift (211) different parts then? Or was it an unusual/designo colour? Because the part number I quoted used is the correct one for a 744 silver 211 E55 (that's the car in question!)

Don't Inchcape just sell off old or obscure stock? So there will be just that one handle for sale?

Just to hijack slightly, but this seems a good place to do it: I have Keyless Go on the blue one, but the car only unlocks without using the key fob with the rear door handles. Would this be because the two front door handles require replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom