Very low mileage E63 Wagon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Other than the obvious intent to talk up the value of your own car I’m not sure where you’re going with this?

The W212 6.2 was the polar opposite to the W204 6.2 - it wasn’t a great seller - and from the many numerous posts from W211 E55K owners, most of them tend to bypass the 6.2 in both 211 and 212 forms and jump straight to the Bi-Turbo - this then reflects in the demand for said cars.

Rarity and scarcity are two different things with regards cars.

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned rarity or scarcity? And although I said I thought it was strong money it was you who began discussion on the price.

I posted it up because I thought it was an interesting car with ultra low mileage and great spec. Never said it was rare or cheap - the opposite in fact :)

There’s not a great deal of the 6.2 212s out there as they didn’t make them for very long - just over a year? The relatively low number of cars about probably reflects that more than anything.

But even during the production of the later 5.5 E63, the C63 surely outsold it? They were a lot cheaper, £20-25k less, circa £50k or so versus £75k plus options etc. And I think the C63 was pushed/marketed well with attractive finance/lease deals at the time. By comparison E-class AMGs have always been pretty expensive niche cars that were generally only bought by people with deep pockets new. Likewise the S63, CL63 etc - not unpopular just expensive and not a mainstream seller. I don’t see all that many AMGs driving about but see C63s on the roads around here almost every day.

I’m now looking for a GL63 to replace my E63 and they’re even fewer in number. Doesn’t make them a bad car just because they didn’t sell many - they were £100k cars new that’s why :)

The 6.2/5.5 thing has been done on here before. I’ve got a 5.5 E55K as well as a 6.2 212, and drive the two back to back. Certainly cars with different characters, but that’s obviously to be expected. The E55K is even today such a hard act to follow, that people probably don’t feel the need to upgrade. And until recently, ‘55ks were circa £10k, BT E63s were £30k+. If you want more power the 5.5 is easier to tweak that’s for sure, but from what I’ve read on here recently I wouldn’t rule out a late M156 6.2 compared to an early 5.5 M157. The NA cars have real depth of character when the roads open up and you get to exploit the full rev range :cool:

My reference to the sales figures were to show where the market went - the C63 6.2 sales were phenomenal - and seemingly none of that transferred over to the E63 and this shows in second hand values...

The M156 is a universally revered engine, of that there is no doubt, it’s just asking £9-10,000 more for a car than the market dictates is lunacy and the super low miles I actually don’t see it as that much of a positive; it could have still had a rough life, been driven hard from cold for lots of short runs, been used as a second or third car, been a pool car etc etc.

My reference to the sales figures were to show where the market went - the C63 6.2 sales were phenomenal - and seemingly none of that transferred over to the E63 and this shows in second hand values...

The M156 is a universally revered engine, of that there is no doubt, it’s just asking £9-10,000 more for a car than the market dictates is lunacy and the super low miles I actually don’t see it as that much of a positive; it could have still had a rough life, been driven hard from cold for lots of short runs, been used as a second or third car, been a pool car etc etc.

Not that I am ever going to be able to afford an AMG, personally, I would prefer a car that has actually done some driving rather than sitting around. That won't have done all the seals, bearings, bushes etc any good at all.

It’s horses for courses at the end of the day.

A C63 buyer is not going to buy an E63, simple. It’s competition is stuff like BMW’s M3, which I’m sure sells in greater numbers than say M5s.

Going by what you’re trying to say, have a look on Autotrader at all E-class petrol, 5.5L and above, from 2012 onwards (ie only 5.5 E63s, no 6.2s) - 63 cars.

C-class, same criteria (C63), brings 156 cars.

That’s got nothing to do with how popular the 6.2 was or wasn’t if the C63 was outselling E63 5.5s by 3 to 1.

There’s only 28 SLS 6.2s out there, doesn’t make them an undesirable car, nor any better or worse than a C63... :)

Regards mileage, you have to judge each car on its own merit. There’s low mileage near-mint cars out there with full dealer history and everything checks out. Likewise there’s high mileage cars that have been ‘well used’

An 8000 mile car with full supplying main dealer service records and an MOT history without a single advisory is a pretty good starting point though :cool:

Not that I am ever going to be able to afford an AMG, personally, I would prefer a car that has actually done some driving rather than sitting around. That won't have done all the seals, bearings, bushes etc any good at all.
I can safely say that I’ve had no problems with any seals, bearings or bushes on my own car (sub 14k presently)

Have all the history from day one, no mention of anything there either :thumb:

It’s horses for courses at the end of the day.

A C63 buyer is not going to buy an E63, simple. It’s competition is stuff like BMW’s M3, which I’m sure sells in greater numbers than say M5s.

Going by what you’re trying to say, have a look on Autotrader at all E-class petrol, 5.5L and above, from 2012 onwards (ie only 5.5 E63s, no 6.2s) - 63 cars.

C-class, same criteria (C63), brings 156 cars.

That’s got nothing to do with how popular the 6.2 was or wasn’t if the C63 was outselling E63 5.5s by 3 to 1.

There’s only 28 SLS 6.2s out there, doesn’t make them an undesirable car, nor any better or worse than a C63... :)

Regards mileage, you have to judge each car on its own merit. There’s low mileage near-mint cars out there with full dealer history and everything checks out. Likewise there’s high mileage cars that have been ‘well used’

An 8000 mile car with full supplying main dealer service records and an MOT history without a single advisory is a pretty good starting point though :cool:
I'm using the C63 as an example of how the market dictates the price - every car has a "trade" price and "retail" price whether or not it's got 8 miles on, 8,000 or 80,000 - and I've shown you evidence of what the "trade" values it at (and as a rule of thumb the "trade" always loves low miles) but you seem to suggest you think the mileage (and some weak Royal link) completely trumps the other main factors of price like age, newer model, desirability etc.

I'm using the C63 as an example of how the market dictates the price - every car has a "trade" price and "retail" price whether or not it's got 8 miles on, 8,000 or 80,000 - and I've shown you evidence of what the "trade" values it at (and as a rule of thumb the "trade" always loves low miles) but you seem to suggest you think the mileage (and some weak Royal link) completely trumps the other main factors of price like age, newer model, desirability etc.

I think you’re confusing me with the vendor of this car.

I never suggested it was priced low.
I never suggested it was a popular car in terms of sales.
I never mentioned anything about rarity of scarcity.

And when I posted it I didn’t mention anything about who owns/owned it either. The Royal family link just perhaps explains the unusual, exceptionally low mileage a bit better :)

You say I’m trying to talk values up, I suggested the opposite and said it was priced strongly and also agreed that it’s somewhat overpriced - so I really don’t understand what your argument is?

It’s clear the car doesn’t float your boat, but there are people out there (myself included ) who buy cars like these and are prepared to pay more for a pristine low mileage/high spec car than your average example.

Trade prices are useful for mainstream models in average condition but you’ll never get an accurate figure for a car like this from WBAC and I think you know that too.

Trade prices are a gauge, a baseline if you will, but it’s ultimately based on supply and demand, there is *some* science behind it.

And although I do think the pre-facelift W212 is the ugly duckling of the 21st century E-Class, it’s not about whether the car floats my boat personally, I’m talking about the reality that it’s the thick end of £10,000 overpriced yet you’ve taken exception to that fact.

Used Mercedes-benz E Class Estate 6.2 E63 Amg G-tronic 5dr in Windlesham, Surrey | S.P.V. Automotive Limited

Supply and demand seems to be there, the car sold just a couple of months ago - presumably close to the asking price? I can call the garage and ask what it went for if you like but I’d speculate it was a lot higher than your WBAC valuation ;)

£33.5k maybe optimism on the current vendor’s part or perhaps allowing for negotiation and he’s looking to achieve £30k?

Your thoughts please SPX :D

im wondering if the thread will crack 3 pages lol ;)

Used Mercedes-benz E Class Estate 6.2 E63 Amg G-tronic 5dr in Windlesham, Surrey | S.P.V. Automotive Limited

Supply and demand seems to be there, the car sold just a couple of months ago - presumably close to the asking price? I can call the garage and ask what it went for if you like but I’d speculate it was a lot higher than your WBAC valuation ;)

£33.5k maybe optimism on the current vendor’s part or perhaps allowing for negotiation and he’s looking to achieve £30k?

This add appears to be the same car originally up for £29995 now being advertised at £33500 as a private sale, I would guess by the same guy as some of the photos are the same:)

Or has this already been said:(

Still don’t see your point? The WBAC has an algorithm behind it based on, amongst other things, supply and demand? You can put a car up for sale for whatever you want and sometimes you get a punter who’ll come along and buy it without doing their homework.

And you’ve just confirmed the vendors delusion - he’s paid less than £30k for it from a dealer and now he’s got it up for £33,500 - he obviously realised that he’s vastly overpaid and he’s now got buyers remorse and he’s trying to find another person like him!

Edit: and while ever there is people like him out there, you’re always in with a great chance of selling yours for more than you paid too!

Still don’t see your point? The WBAC has an algorithm behind it based on, amongst other things, supply and demand? You can put a car up for sale for whatever you want and sometimes you get a punter who’ll come along and buy it without doing their homework.

And you’ve just confirmed the vendors delusion - he’s paid less than £30k for it from a dealer and now he’s got it up for £33,500 - he obviously realised that he’s vastly overpaid and he’s now got buyers remorse and he’s trying to find another person like him!

Edit: and while ever there is people like him out there, you’re always in with a great chance of selling yours for more than you paid too!

I’m giving you 9/10 for effort, but the reality is the only person who hasn’t done their homework is you :)

What you set out to do has done the complete opposite, and all you’ve shown is that you clearly don’t know how to value cars like these :D

You were the one who raised points relating to value, desirability, supply and demand, rarity, scarcity and even invented the ‘Royal Family’ link as something I’d said increased value - all totally incorrect.

I’ve proven otherwise for all of those , not based on an opinion but on the fact of what this car actually sold for just 2/3 months ago. I also feel qualified to make a reasonable estimate based on the fact that I actually bought a very similar car and know what I paid for that too.

The funny thing is despite your best efforts, what you set out to do has done the complete opposite - proven you’re out of touch with prices and perhaps rely too much on WBAC valuations. I will remind you that I never suggested the car was worth the amount advertised, and even said as much in my first post.

I’m not a trader but I have a fairly good feel for the market on these, especially as I can see the market from both a buyer’s perspective and that of a seller.

Perhaps you’ve had fun but it’s also been interesting for others to see nice cars and what sort of figures that they can achieve :thumb:

For what it’s worth, they’ve dropped the price now by £2000 :)

To me it’s not that far off the mark now, I’m sure there’s room for negotiation although I’d probably buy my old one now instead - it’s done 6k more miles but has a higher spec :D :cool:

Im not very well up on 212s. Does the steering wheel and red calipers indicate it has a performance pack as with 211s?

Red calipers were a £560 option on their own but were included with the performance pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom