Very nice E500 s211. High spec, rare colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm beginning to wonder WTF has happened here...

Maybe the vendor is hoping to get a hefty deposit out of somebody before the auction ends? Or is there no actual car for sale, and it's a complete scam from the start?
This has been advertised before, with different photos, a different ownership tale and a location in the Isle of Dogs or similar iirc. The photos weren't all in the same location either.

It does have heated rear seats, or at least there is a pic of the switch. That would be a more difficult set of parts to source as they are fairly rare. Also dynamic and cooled seats. But yes, no sunroof or 7 seat option.
The fact that cruise (likely distronic) isn't working suggests that the fascia for the gear surround could've been lifted. I don't see a distronic blanking plate in the grille.

You're not the only one to have mentioned this. It doesn't show up as a diesel on my MOT checking app (Vehicle Smart), but perhaps that offers a clue to a previous incarnation?

On the .gov websites it shows as petrol on the road tax check but diesel on the MOT history check!

@bolidemichael The front grill does have the distronic cover BUT can't be sure if the Distronic radar is underneath unless he takes a picure with the bonnet open. You are right those bumpers are not right at all..

Too many things dont add up for such a car, very low miles done the last few years and cars like that dont sit around, Been to Europe and back a few times I would say....

Not saying its the seller, but the car seems to have a odd history

the pixs are just all strange - angless seem wierd

The seller replies to messages, and is happy for viewings. If I was after one, I'd want to see the documented service history, and when the seller bought it (as per the V5), and if that all checked out I'd go and see that car, and see how it drove. I can't see it being a ringer; the colour is too rare.

I rather like the steering wheel, and those bumpers look just fine to me; surely they're only 'wrong' for a Sport? I don't think it's a Sport anyway; the headlamps are wrong, as are the bumper foglights, for a facelift 211.

The seller replies to messages, and is happy for viewings. If I was after one, I'd want to see the documented service history, and when the seller bought it (as per the V5), and if that all checked out I'd go and see that car, and see how it drove. I can't see it being a ringer; the colour is too rare.

I rather like the steering wheel, and those bumpers look just fine to me; surely they're only 'wrong' for a Sport? I don't think it's a Sport anyway; the headlamps are wrong, as are the bumper foglights, for a facelift 211.
Love the look of this car; the colour and interior combo really look good to me.
Seller says he had it since 2018; however the last V5C was issued Jan 2021... maybe a change from a private plate?🤔

Very interesting!

It is obviously just me, but I think the colour is dreadful! And those wheels don’t suit the character.

Love the look of this car; the colour and interior combo really look good to me.
Seller says he had it since 2018; however the last V5C was issued Jan 2021... maybe a change from a private plate?🤔
Or he’s moved house? ;)

I believe the V5C will show when the current registered keeper actually acquired the car, though, irrespective of plate or address changes since then. If anything doesn't add up - seller's name, date of V5C issue, or acquisition in 2018 - that would be a good time to walk away...

Why do people get hung up about the higher RFL?

If you can afford to run a 5 litre V8 then a few hundred pounds more than a 3 litre Diesel is surely irrelevant?
I guess given the choice, two identical cars, it’s something to consider - especially if you’ve more than one car and don’t cover huge mileage etc. £200-300 granted isn’t a lot but over a few years? Hasn’t stopped me buying newer V8s though!

It’s a bugbear of mine that VED (I don’t think it’s called RFL anymore) bears no relation to the amount of use a vehicle gets.

Stick a bit more on fuel and cut road tax - that would settle the whole emissions/CO2 thing if that’s the justification :)

Here's a price list that should be for this car. Shows the E500 with the 388bhp engine

Attachments

• E-Class S211 PL FINAL.pdf
    719.4 KB · Views: 12
I believe the V5C will show when the current registered keeper actually acquired the car, though, irrespective of plate or address changes since then. If anything doesn't add up - seller's name, date of V5C issue, or acquisition in 2018 - that would be a good time to walk away...
That’s correct, but the DVLA will issue a new V5C (log book) if you change address or if the registration is changed etc. There will be a date of issue for each V5C produced and you can check this online as well as the document itself - not just the date of acquisition (which you cannot see from the public DVLA vehicle check)

You cannot see the registered keeper's name online either, which is why I specified that all three needed to be satisfactory. If I won a car in an eBay auction, there's no way money would change hands (except perhaps a holding deposit) until I'd done all that, and seen and driven the car. Been there, done that; once bitten, twice shy...

Here's a price list that should be for this car. Shows the E500 with the 388bhp engine
Maybe the seller is wrong, and it's not an M113 under the bonnet, but I'm inclined to believe, since it doesn't have the facelift front bumper and headlamps, it's not actually a facelift, and does have the M113. It would be surprising if the seller didn't know what engine it had.

Hummm, the changes of being an M113 engine are very high as e500 s211 with the m273 engine are super rare and tend to have facelift headlights ( so 2007 onwards)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom