Very nice E500 s211. High spec, rare colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting, it's possible that the refraction suggests that it may have a sunroof.

The third row seat option shows on the Xentry factory build sheet. I haven't managed to grab an image of the pdf to share yet.

Interesting, it's possible that the refraction suggests that it may have a sunroof.

The third row seat option shows on the Xentry factory build sheet.
The third row of seats is Option 844; it's not on the datacard the seller has posted, and the car doesn't have it. No discrepancy there.

Of my last two E500s, one was a seven-seater, and had Option 844, and the other wasn't, and didn't. Both had Option 287, but described as 'Through-Loading Feature' on their (third-party; one was Carinfo, one Lastvin) datacards. The rear seats on the S211s were never bench seats, they were split folding seats. Maybe something lost in translation?

He’s added to the description saying that it’s got a sunroof.
Maybe he's been following this thread...

So in fact there's nothing visually 'wrong' with the car, except that it has a facelift grille and front bumper and a later steering wheel, and aftermarket wheels.

Druk fitted a facelift grille and front bumper to his pre-facelift. Plenty of people change their wheels, and the steering wheel looks much better than what I think was the OE fitment. Those are all cosmetic changes - a matter of taste.

I think that car's probably fine, with the possible exception of the cruise control. I'd go and see it if I wanted one.

Last edited:
I think that car's probably fine, with the possible exception of the cruise control. I'd go and see it if I wanted one.
....but bear in mind the mileage, recent service history, condition, and likely auction price.

Excellent spec, but at this money, there's a need to coldly compare it to other S211's and S212's, and make a calculation about annual road tax and likely repair / renovation costs beyond routine maintenance.

Like a Tanzanite blue 2007 E280 on 70k miles for £8k - with supposedly excellent provenance.....

there's a need to coldly compare it to other S211's .....
Like a Tanzanite blue 2007 E280 on 70k miles for £8k - with supposedly excellent provenance.....
If you just want an S211, fair enough, but if you wanted a 500 you wouldn't be looking at 280s! Maybe a 500 a year or so older for the cheaper RFL, but that's it.

If you just want an S211, fair enough, but if you wanted a 500 you wouldn't be looking at 280s! Maybe a 500 a year or so older for the cheaper RFL, but that's it.
For sure, but if someone after a Familienwagen, it's still a valid comparison with a cheap 38mpg.

If someone wants a V8 500, then again why not a 2 owner E500 with 55k on the clock for £5k, with split fold rear seats, but only four doors ?

Just saying... bear in mind the choices.

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 17.24.06.png

The third row of seats is Option 844; it's not on the datacard the seller has posted, and the car doesn't have it. No discrepancy there.

Of my last two E500s, one was a seven-seater, and had Option 844, and the other wasn't, and didn't. Both had Option 287, but described as 'Through-Loading Feature' on their (third-party; one was Carinfo, one Lastvin) datacards. The rear seats on the S211s were never bench seats, they were split folding seats. Maybe something lost in translation?

Maybe he's been following this thread...

So in fact there's nothing visually 'wrong' with the car, except that it has a facelift grille and front bumper and a later steering wheel, and aftermarket wheels.

Druk fitted a facelift grille and front bumper to his pre-facelift. Plenty of people change their wheels, and the steering wheel looks much better than what I think was the OE fitment. Those are all cosmetic changes - a matter of taste.

I don't believe that you're correct in your code info on the rear folding bench seats. The code is 287 and I have double checked with the vin for my car and it is also 287.

287 appears on the build spec data card for the VIN attributed to this vehicle. I've managed to grab the images
to share on here.

I'm still yet to be fully convinced on the presence of a sunroof, but willing to offer the benefit of the doubt.

However, there isn't a set of rear belts present and no indication of rear folding seats, no matter how one skews and skwints.

No mention on the uplifting on the ad, it just smells fishy to me.

872287A0-515F-4711-819B-E54E4C298C16.jpegD750BDE6-48B6-492E-B62D-C9780D349BD0.jpegA60DEA50-9E34-4F86-A049-EA174906E348.jpeg

I'm still yet to be fully convinced on the presence of a sunroof, but willing to offer the benefit of the doubt.
I’m not sure if you saw my previous posts (inc picture in post #63 above) but you can clearly see the sunroof switch in the advert pictures :)

Reactions: SG1
If that’s the build sheet it should have a pan roof but like you I can’t see even a normal sunroof from the photos. The button is there but even if it didn’t have one wouldn’t there be a blanking plate that looks like one? The two 211s I had both had pan roofs so don‘t know about it. All I do know is that the more I look at the photos the more I like what I see - if it is straight it’s an unusual and rather lovely car…

Definitely sunroof switch - non sunroof cars have flush blanking plate (I’ve had both! :))

I’m not sure if you saw my previous posts (inc picture in post #63 above) but you can clearly see the sunroof switch in the advert pictures :)
Yes, there is a sunroof switch.
Does this mean there's deffo a sun roof, because I can't very definitely 100% make out there is one. Admittedly, there probably is.

But it's an estate. Does that mean it should definitely have split folding rear seats? I would have thought so? But I'm not 100% up on the options and config of this model.

Definitely sunroof switch - non sunroof cars have flush blanking plate (I’ve had both! :))
If some parts have been replaced, then it is entirely plausible that this part could've/would've been replaced too. It doesn't mean that it's got a sunroof on the end of it...

Perhaps the new owner will come on here when purchased and set us straight as it's a very nice colour and spec (originally, at least).

Definitely a facelift. Look at the door mirrors. Would have been a very expensive job to replace those to try to fool buyers.

Just to fuel the conspiracy theorists, though, didn’t Sport models come with the dark bird's eye maple rather than walnut?

I'm pretty sure on the facelift if you specced AMG bumpers you got the prefacelift style to differentiate from the top of line e63 ??!!

If some parts have been replaced, then it is entirely plausible that this part could've/would've been replaced too. It doesn't mean that it's got a sunroof on the end of it...

Perhaps the new owner will come on here when purchased and set us straight as it's a very nice colour and spec (originally, at least).

I’m fairly sure you can just about make out the sunroof on the pics, coupled with the build sheet showing a sunroof, likewise in the advert description and 100% a sunroof switch panel on the dome light then it’s pretty likely that it does.

There is no reason why you would upgrade that part to a sunroof switch on a non-sunroof car unless I’m missing something? :)

Reactions: SG1
I don't believe that you're correct in your code info on the rear folding bench seats. The code is 287 and I have double checked with the vin for my car and it is also 287.

Both mine (and my second E55K; I don't have the datacard for the first) had Option 287 - 'Through Loading Feature', but only one had option 844 - 'FOLDING BENCH SEAT IN CARGO AREA'. That was the seven-seater E500.

Sunroof? Oh, FFS. It has a sunroof; end of. It wouldn't have a panoramic roof; they were offered on the facelift 211 in the USA, but not I think on the pre-facelift anywhere.

It has pre-facelift headlights.

It has facelift mirrors, grille and presumably front bumper.

(The seller doesn't claim it's a facelift, so he's not trying to fool anybody).

It doesn't have seven seats; the seller doesn't claim it has, and the datacard posted doesn't have Option 844, so it's not supposed to have them.

There's nothing much amiss with the MoT history; it covered very few miles in 2019, during the main Covid outbreak, but so did my cars, because I wasn't going anywhere.

We don't know anything about the service history, apart from v-belts and pulleys, recent front suspension work and brake pads, and a new water pump. If the engine mounts haven't been changed from new, it will shake like a b*****d at idle, but I'd bet they have. If the Airmatic works, that's had maintenance too, and the same goes for the SBC.

I think it's a perfectly genuine, very high-spec E500 estate and there's probably not much wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom