Very proud - GCSE results

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
Some of you may recall some time ago that I offered our eldest daughter £100 for every A* she achieved in her GCSE results. Now, she took 10 GCSE's so I was possibly looking at the thick end of £1,000:eek:

After the exams, said daughter opted to trade the deal in if she could have a new laptop before the results came out. This got me thinking that she wasnt that confident (or hadnt done much revision:devil:). Anyway, I agreed and spent £450 on a new laptop for her.

Results arrived this morning. She got :bannana: :bannana: 4 A*'s and 6 A's:bannana: :bannana:

We are very proud to say the least and it seems that the deal was a good one. All those private school fees were worth it:)

Trouble is, what you offer to one child you have to offer to the others. We have another little brain box coming up to GCSE's in just under 2 years time:(

I wish her well. I presume her next hurdle will be A levels. Let me warn her, A levels are a world apart from GCSE's and MUCH harder. My eldest daughter got similar GCSE results as yours but didnt do as well in her A's. It requires a quantum leap in application and commitment to get good A's.

Well done. You must be very proud.

My girlfriends daughter appears to me to be a lazy so and so but what do I know?

She just got her results with 8 A's 3B's and a C. :eek:
And she did a couple last year too.

Alfie said:
Results arrived this morning. She got 4 A*'s and 6 A's

A £450 laptop and just 4 A*'s? So you're £50 out of pocket then.

She saw you coming...

;)

She saw you coming...

;)
Beat me to it. I was going to ask what grade Alfie received for his maths ;)

On a more serious note it's always great to hear about kids doing well, and congrats are due. Verytalldave's advice is sound though: it's very easy for success at this level to colour the student's judgement about how much effort and ability is required to achieve comparable results at the next level up - as my wife's niece found out to her and her parent's cost after sailing through GCSE's and A-levels and coming a cropper at Uni :(

She saw you coming...

;)

Depends how much an A was worth....

We did a sliding scale for A*-C for the step kids last year and found boys are more easily bribed....

Kate

I wish her well. I presume her next hurdle will be A levels. Let me warn her, A levels are a world apart from GCSE's and MUCH harder. My eldest daughter got similar GCSE results as yours but didnt do as well in her A's. It requires a quantum leap in application and commitment to get good A's.

Mark - many congrats - you are deservedly right to be proud!!:rock: :rock: :rock:

I concur with VTD - it's exactly what we experienced with Meg's. 9 x As and 3 xBs at GCSE translated to 4 A levels at 1 x B, 2 x C and 1 x D and she's now got an indicative 2.2 in her first year at uni which has been a roller coaster for her.

Overall she has done well in the circumstances - but the diffference in study at A level hit her very hard!!

That's a superb effort - well done - and rightly proud.

I hope Baby D will decide to put her heart into learning because she wants to rather than anything else - as I won't be offering any fiscal incentives!!

EDIT: With regards to A-levels, I believe a strategy is required.

Decide if University is what they want to do before committing to A-level subjects. If they think it's going to be a course with demanding entry requirements, go for fewer in the right subjects to make sure they get the right grades in teh right subjects.

If they enjoy the challenge, and/or they're not sure what they want to do, then go for more. It will endow them with a wider knowledge, might potentially open more doors come deciding which University and/or course to go for, and will continue to stretch them.

Back when I was at school, studying five concurrent A-levels was relatively uncommon - certainly in Comps in rough areas. I would imagine these days, the huge improvement we've seen in GCSE performance must make it relatively common, even in ordinary schools - is it?

Last edited:

True to an extent, but some find after taking GCSE'S and doing well they aim higher as the realisation hits home that they can make it into a decent uni/job. I did okay @GCSE but not as well as Aflies daughter, did much better for A level though and I guess it allows kids to do subjects they enjoy and are good @ rather than a lot of ones they may not like so much

Last edited:
Congrats from me too Mark. Its always pleasing to see the youth of today doing well. Bit of a reflection of her parents me thinks.

Well Done to her.

Thats a might fine achievement. A-levels are a step above.

I am still studying at 28. But hopefuly only for another 9 months and then its over with!

Yes great news Mark you must be a very proud Dad.

My Kirsty got hers yesterday too

5A,4B and 3C - maybe I should have tried a little bribery too :)

I cant get upset about those grades though - especially as the C's were in what I considered to be "lesser subjects" - she has aced the Sciences and Maths shes needs :)

Congratulations on the Results, very very impressive.

I like the old bribery tactic you opted for. My mum did the same with me when i sat my standard grades (no GCSE in scotland) and it worked for me. Unfortunately we only did 8 standard grades so i only got £800.

Oh well, paid for my driving lessons

We don't have A-Level in Scotland, we have highers which are a significant step up from standard grades. To be honest though, as long as you put in a little time throughout the year its fine. I think with standard grades (or GCSE) alot of kids find that they can study at the end of the year and pass with flying colours. if you adopt that tactic in A-Level or highers you will be in for a shock.

Well done Alfie... I always say to my wife that our kids will go to the same
private school i went to..

no matter what anyone says, good schools offer the very foundations that will guide a child into a responsible and hard working adult

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom