Very sad my W210 has finally died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
So after trying my best to keep her going, my beloved W210 has given up. The internal water leak was never found even after dismantling everything except the block. Head Gasket and oil cooler were both changed with no luck. Luckily it was all done myself so there was no major costs and just a few parts. I came to the sad decision that it's time to let it go as the only alternative was an engine change but this is not feasible on a 17 year old car that will rust. Annoyingly when the HG was done and everything cleaned out, the car ran like it should, kicking down and flying down the road with no black smoke. I will be scrapping it next week unless anyone wants it cheap as it still runs and drives and has plenty usable parts - some new.

I need a car to keep mobile as I have so many hospital/clinic appointments that I cannot do without one. So after browsing in general I found a car that I have always wanted and with certain options that I have not seen together in a long time (if at all) on these cars. I wanted a facelift with B&O, ACC and heated rears. The bonus was the sunroof, sub 100k miles and ceramic brakes although not sure if I wanted the latter due to replacement costs. The car wasn't my fav colour but can't complain, I simply love it! Just awaiting for the V5 so I can put my plate on it

Unlike some, I won't be leaving the forum (can't get rid of me that easily!) and will continue to chip in where I can

Guessed what it is yet? Here's a few pics

Bob, that’s absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! you deserve it mate.

Sad about the 210 but you tried your best and life is too short. Enjoy the new car, see you in lane 3 ;)

Abs

Sad news Bob, after all your effort to keep it going.
I sold mine, together with the 7 crates of spares, on Sunday.

That looks a beast indeed!

Now THAT is going to be some serious fun... the Grin factor will be amazing. Nice.

Just one thing though - you do realise you will have to carry spare white shirts and suits in the boot?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pm’d you bob

That's a cracking replacement.

I have got a soft spot for a D3 S8.

How much are the brakes to replace at the front?

Very nice Bob.
You'll have some fun in that and make new friends at all the local petrol stations:D

That's a cracking replacement.

I have got a soft spot for a D3 S8.

How much are the brakes to replace at the front?

All of the brakes are stupidly expensive, 4 figures! Hopefully they wont need replacing for a looong time :D

All of the brakes are stupidly expensive, 4 figures! Hopefully they wont need replacing for a looong time :D
Indeed they are very expensive, just remember when you wash the car and do the first drive make sure you dry them out. I washed my Porsche that had them, I live on a hill and I really did have a brown trouser moment because they just didn't work when first wet. I landed up about two foot out of my road junction, luckily neither roads are very busy. They go by weight with regards to wear but most people opt for a Tarox type bespoke steel replacement, still expensive but about a tenth the cost of ceramics.

LOL yes I've been doing some reading up on ceramics. All the 'initial driving when cold' is a myth I think - I'm not tracking the car and for normal daily use they work fine even when cold. I have driven when they are wet and I get a very small squeak when moving off the drive and maybe weak braking but after that they are fine.

I probably will replace with steels if I ever need to but will see if and when.

LOL yes I've been doing some reading up on ceramics. All the 'initial driving when cold' is a myth I think - I'm not tracking the car and for normal daily use they work fine even when cold. I have driven when they are wet and I get a very small squeak when moving off the drive and maybe weak braking but after that they are fine.

I probably will replace with steels if I ever need to but will see if and when.

I thought the ceramics were brilliant, I have always boiled my brakes on track days but I never had that with the Porsche. Having said that you risk chipping them if you go off into the kitty litter. But as you say you'll not be doing track days so not a problem. Some early ceramics did indeed squeal a bit but I don't think that is the norm with later ones. You will find that you're able to brake later and harder with them. Whenever I got in another car after my Porsche I always said to myself F**k me this cars got no brakes, they are that good in my opinion.

Now you have deserted the smelly old diesel engine you will miss all that low down torque----------------------err----maybe not!:p

I forgot to mention, keep an eagle eye out when people are changing the wheels. There should be a a long bar that screws into the hub to allow the wheel to be removed without damaging the discs. It may pay you to remove the wheels and take close up photos of each disc because if someone was a bit clumsy changing a wheel/tyre and chip the disc you could be in a whole world of pain and have a job to prove they damaged it. I don't want to sound paranoid or cause you any stress but if you know these things beforehand you can enjoy having them on a car without the obvious problems that can occur.

ETKA is showing the front discs at £3151 incl VAT each and pads at £362 incl VAT per set (side)

Lol get yourself a card like mine :p:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom