Very tasty V12 Silly money with less than 50k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joyful

Car
W208 CLK 320 Avantgarde Cabriolet 2001
2001 MERCEDES S600 6LT V12 LONG WHEELBASE AMAZING SPEC ONLY 49K MILES FROM NEW! | eBay

Have a look at this one, a very very nice thing indeed, and incredibly rare! This is a sensational 5.8 litre V12 S600, these are totally amazing! This one sports the higehst spec you will have seen on one, with electric doors, double glazing, sat nav, front & rear electric heated seats, keyless go,bi-xenons, wood and leather trim and steering wheel, suede headlining with stitched leather dash, cd autochanger, dual zone climate control, front & rear phones, the list goes on, the spec on this is simply amazing and would have made this one over £100k when new!! Long mot, with service history 6 stamps last serviced at 40K miles, a stunning example in stunning condition! The condition on this car really is lovely being critical the only thing we could find fault was a small crack in the near side brake light. Body work wise A1!

Alot of car for the money that's for sure, but he might get a better price if he gave it a clean with something other than a brillo pad. Just look at the swirl marks in photo 2.

Also, I'd want to check the mileage. The wear on the driver seat does not look comensurate with such a low mileage.

I wouldn't go anywhere near one of those. My uncle had a 2000 S600 back in 2004 with only 36k miles, and he had so many problems with it. It spent most of its time at the dealer than on the road :eek:

Alot of car for the money that's for sure, but he might get a better price if he gave it a clean with something other than a brillo pad. Just look at the swirl marks in photo 2.

Also, I'd want to check the mileage. The wear on the driver seat does not look comensurate with such a low mileage.

I bought a Pugeot from him about seven years ago. No problem and great car. I nearly bought a second car from him about five years ago. Old Saab Turbo estate. I won in the bidding on the agreement (his wording) that I could change my mind as long as I went and looked at the car. I did go and drive the car, but felt it was a bit smoky. Found him very straight and walked away.

If you do your homework I reckon he is the cheapest dealer online and very straight, you only have to look at the number of cars he has sold.

Mileage should be traceable on the service book as it has six stamps to 49k, difficult to fake and probably not worth his time, and I don't think he quotes mileage in ads if he is unsure.

I thought that. IMO it's already too expensive at the £4K its been bid up to but I'd take a punt at £2k. You might get a year's trouble free luxury out of it and if it broke expensively after a month at least you'd have enjoyed yourself before it went to the scrappy.

I thought that. IMO it's already too expensive at the £4K its been bid up to but I'd take a punt at £2k. You might get a year's trouble free luxury out of it and if it broke expensively after a month at least you'd have enjoyed yourself before it went to the scrappy.

Ok, but at around £4k for a £100k+ car with a V12 it would certainly be fun for a year. My £2.5k CLK320 has been superb and completely trouble free for 11 months of great motoring, albeit getting the roof down last summer was all too infrequent.

Long live MB motoring

Expensive cars still have expensive bills when they are cheap.

Proper minefield the V12's , two of everything , something goes wrong , second mortgage time.

Expensive cars still have expensive bills when they are cheap.

Proper minefield the V12's , two of everything , something goes wrong , second mortgage time.

Ok, hopefully my v6 320 will prove more reliable then!!

Bombproof engines the M112 ( yours ) and the M113 ( mine )

I'm not sure about the seat.

That bolster gets caught really easily when entering the car (I know, I've got an S500) and it is possible to scuff it that bad with a belt or a jean stud.

The alloys look unrefurbished (still got the black dot) and the rest of the interior is quite fresh.

Lot of car for the money - could be a money pit or a great couple of years motoring.

Bombproof engines the M112 ( yours ) and the M113 ( mine )

That's good to know!

That bolster gets caught really easily when entering the car (I know, I've got an S500) and it is possible to scuff it that bad with a belt or a jean stud.

The alloys look unrefurbished (still got the black dot) and the rest of the interior is quite fresh.

Lot of car for the money - could be a money pit or a great couple of years motoring.

I agree, could be a belt or stud catching the rest. The back seats look immaculate.

Yes. It could be a lucky car with only 49k and full S/H.

LTD said:

Yep, I agree with you re the wear on the seat. I have just bought a small van with only 35k on the clock and the bolster is worn through due to someone wearing a bunch of keys on their belt.

Not all V12's are money pits..........

Worth getting just so you can say you've had a V12!

The normally aspirated v12 w220s are an oddity as they had to tune them down to meet emissions standards, so they ended up with around 350 bhp iirc, which is quite a bit less than the previous generation m120 had. If I was ever mad enough to consider a w220 again it would have to be the bi-turbo version.

True. 367bhp. Ive heard on a dyno they give out closer to 380. The earliest M120 V12 had over 400bhp so you're spot on with your analysis.

I have had the pleasure of both a 2001 and 1998 s600. The feel of the w220 was that of a much cheaper car and the stacks of bills with it was scary (over thirty grand!). My w140 felt a lot more torquier and solid but the handling of the w220 was brilliant. The engine felt more willing to rev too. The overall ride of the w140 was better though.

Unless there was a documented repair to the oil tube thingy in the w220 s600 n/a (cannot remember the precise fault name at the moment) then i would not buy one.

It would be a brave gamble, but what a car (even if it only lasted a year until something major went pop).

You would more than you paid for the car in the first year of ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom