Very tyre'ing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebenz

Hi ive got a 03 sports coupe (evo rims) and have just changed all four tyres from the original Mitchelin pilots to Pirelli Pzero Rossos.... im having big problems. Anything over 40mph there are vibrations coming through the floor & pedals of the car (not steering wheel).

Thinking it might be balancing I took it back to the fitters who checked and re checked the balancing and said all was ok. My next thought would be the tracking but considering it didnt behave like this before I fitted new tyres & it had just had a 'B' service I feel this is ok.

So what else could it be? Does anyone have any suggestions as I do 150 miles a day on the motorway & I cant keep driving like this

Many Thanks

Steve

odd that you are having problems but i'm sure it could be down to the tyre.

I have a 52 c200k coupe and recently changed from the contisports, on my 18inch AMG rims from the E55, to pzero assimetricals and directionals. I have found the ride greatly improved.

trust me, 18inch by 10+ alloys on lowered brabus suspension do not make for a comfy ride on my daily commute....did someone say back pain??? :crazy:

Hi, sounds silly but maybe the tyres aren't round, or are incorrectly seated... If there's a bulge in the tyre, then although balanced it will thunder along (and be dangerous). I don't know how you could check without jacking up the car and spinning the wheel, though I'd have thought this would have been noticed when balanced.

I would try taking to an alternative fitter and ask them if they're balanced. I had a really poor job done on some new tyres once and it was a learner fitter who had really made a mess of it. Also, when I had an old Jag saloon, they recommended balancing on the car as this also balanced out any uneven weighting on the moving parts of the car. Other than that, swap the backs for the fronts and see if it feels different (it should help you track down the rogue wheel). The vibration will also put unncecessary wear and tear on your steering/suspension etc. Good luck cheers

Sam :eek:

sounds to me like an out of shape tyre - best way is to jack each corner in turn until the tyre is just off the ground then spin the wheel - if there's a bulge the tyre will probably stop moving unless of course you jacked it whilst the car was standing on the "high spot" a little visual checking should soon locate if one tyre is wrong.

I had a brand new Pirelli go out of shape on my old Rover within 3 days of it being fitted so it's not the age of the tyre that matters.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom