Vhs..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Showing my age now, but does anyone else still watch stuff on tape? I'm having a night in tonight as the Mrs has gone out to a "baby shower", and I'm watching an old Billy Joel concert I taped off the telly a million years ago.

Obviously, a million years is exaggerating, but checking up the concert was broadcast in 1982.. making it 30 years ago :eek:. And the tape still plays fine, it's a long way off Blu-ray quality but the colours are still bright and the audio spot on. Optical discs are rated for 10 years life.. I wonder how they'll play in 30 years time?

Mr Joel still had hair in them days too..

32fa9826.jpg

Cheers,

Gaz

Yes, yes, but tell more about the missus and the baby shower :).

BJ writes some great lyrics.

My old man was ex BBC, then a newspaper journalist. He swore by Betamax but his VHS tapes still play spot-on to my eye.

Remember the Sony C5 player? The remote control (attached by a lead) was the envy of the street, until we still had it seven or eight years on!

Naa, but I only got rid of my last few VHS tapes and VHS unit a year or two ago (I bought a DVR late 2007).

Last tapes I had were stuff I'd recorded off TV (like a Queen documentary 10 years after FM died) or things like Harry Enfield's Television Programme (pre-recorded).

However, HE was from 1990 ish and whilst I found it amusing at the time, the sketches I now find entertaining are few and far between on the same tapes (and not worth the bother).

Still use them, not stopping any time soon. Old VHS broke for the last time (I couldn't fix the latest fault) so now I have a 26 year old Sony I bought off eBay early last year. I even found a 25 year old matching remote with a liquid crystal display on it (the VHS has no on screen menu and the display is basically a clock and menu!)

Buying up last stocks of recordable videos from stores!

VHS?
I'm just about getting rid of my old DVD's! lol

High Definition, Blue Ray and DVD is to an extent wasted on me with my eyesight not what it once was so I brought my old VHS machine out of retirement. Its hooked up to standard definition freeview box and I feed it with s-vhs tapes, all rather fun because I feel part of the process.

There are still blank tapes to be had though, I bought a good few off of e-bay which are pretty much all s-vhs and even though my machine is standard vhs they record and play rather well!

Portzy.

I did have a recordable DVD device but the quality was poor after it broke I bought a 6 head VHS/ DVD player combo. Recording quality is superior to the DVD recorder. New VHS tapes are a problem but I managed to buy a copy of the Titanic on VHS for 10p and this has over 3 hours to record over, so why not?

My old man was ex BBC, then a newspaper journalist. He swore by Betamax but his VHS tapes still play spot-on to my eye.

Remember the Sony C5 player? The remote control (attached by a lead) was the envy of the street, until we still had it seven or eight years on!

Yes! I had a C5 and then a C7. Boy, those machines were so large and heavy they generated their own gravitational field.

The demise of Betamax was a great blow to Sony, it was a vastly superior format.

I did have a recordable DVD device but the quality was poor after it broke I bought a 6 head VHS/ DVD player combo. Recording quality is superior to the DVD recorder. New VHS tapes are a problem but I managed to buy a copy of the Titanic on VHS for 10p and this has over 3 hours to record over, so why not?

Local charity shop near me were selling ten VHS pre-recorded films for £1 yesterday!

Recordable videos aren't that hard to come by at all - even poundland were selling them recently (went in to buy microfibres for the car and a pack of fuses, came home with a bag of recordable videos too!)

I have a load of Disney VHS tapes that I bung on in the kids room when its cold and raining.

I got the whole sack of films for about £2 at a carboot and the TV with built in VHS player was free

Oh the lion king, the last true disney DEATH. Now its all nambi pambi leilo and stich!!!

We dug the old VHS's out over christmas to watch a few, but to be hones I hardly ever watch a DVD anymore - binkx and netfix do the job perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom