Viano Camper Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gareth1982

Car
MercedesViano
Hi All

New forum member hoping that there are those in the know who can help.

I have just picked up a 2006 Viano for a camper conversion. Through a little lack of research I was not aware of the rear heater matrix at the near side rear quarter. This will be in the way for the rest of the build and will also be redundant once the rest of the build is complete. Is this a secondary system with its own pump and compressor? Or is it a take off from the main system that covers the front of the van?

If anyone has done something similar I would be grateful if they could let me know how they did it, can the feed pipes to that part of the system be capped outside of the cabin to gain back the space needed in that part of the van?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

The rear has it's own fan, with permissive on the front control. That is a large part of the unit in the rear qtr.
It shares the same compressor, and the system requires extra gas at regas.. The pipes as far as I'm aware run underside of the van.
Not sure what you mean by separate pump as, imo, the compressor will pump all.

I've considered conversion needs and would want to keep that rear AC and heating feeling it can be useful to create a comfortable environment while travelling. Although I realise it will only remain that way for a very limited period when stationary unless the engine continues to run.

I never had desire to install a kitchenette as I view the Vi' isn't big enough and too much of a compromise would be required as regards the size of the bed.
I'm interested to see how MB have designed the Marco Polo.
Our way is to cook our own breakfast but evenings are for pub grub and the relaxation of Guinness.
Our cooking, and W.C. are in a Khyam Motor dome drive away awning.

What I have created for our LWB Vito is a fold up bed that unfolded provides a 2.1m by 1.43m (at narowest) ply bed. The whole unit is less than 16kg and lifts out when not in use.
Folded the bed doubles as a table for the 2nd row seats, rear facing.

Hi M80

Thanks for the response, I've been out for another crawl about on the floor and have found the pipe work you mentioned, it does run under the van along the near side. From what you've said I would understand that the rear is an extension of the front system so I should be able to get the pipes capped off and remove the rear part of the system. As this is a camper conversion we can put a 12v heater to run from a hook up or leisure batteries as required.

With only two of us we wouldn't need anything too big as a camper - its for the odd night and days out rather than the two weeks annual, the Vito/Viano is a good size for what we need - I went for the Viano for the nicer cabin which is why I hadn't thought about the rear air con system. But a lesson learned about research there then

So the Rear system you have got fitted, is it Rear Heater or Rear Heater & AC?? This will obviously make a difference when stripping it out!! Ive looked into this a lot so im quite well up on the system & how it works. So if you could tell me which version you have i might be able to help..

HI Big Un

Thanks for your help, the unit has metal and rubber pipes running to it, with my understanding being that the metal pipes are for the air con gas. Here are a couple of photos that may help, if not I can take some others if it would help identify the system?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629_084349_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629_084349_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20200629_084354_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629_084354_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 24
Ok, so yours is both AC & Heater, so if you were to strip it all out that isnt a problem as you could still retain the front ac just remove the ac up to the engine and buy the pipe for just front ac that comes off the compressor and connect it up. Pretty much the same applies for the heating pipes. I stripped the lot out of a loaded Viano on a drive in around 6hrs on my own but that was including the ducting & brackets above the roof lining

HI Bigun

Thanks for that, its fantastic news I really thought my lack of research had got me into trouble. I have an air con engineer coming Thursday and now know that he wont need to charge me a fortune and more importantly shouldn't hold the build up too much.

Thanks

Gareth

You can leave the ducting in thats above the roof (the other bits uncouple dead easy) & the wiring to the control units but if it was me i would unplug the Rear unit & leave the wiring tie wrapped up in case any one wants to refit it at any point. There is a AC & Heater pipes you can get from Merc to convert yours to front only.. The biggest cost will be the time it takes to strip it & to convert it to front only along with regassing it..

Gareth, thanks for bringing this up. I'm hoping to to the same as you next year and probably would not of found out about this. I'm following you to learn what I can.

Hi Gareth, any updates on your van? Pictures? I’m thinking of the same. I really want a Mercedes due to the drivability.

Ok, so yours is both AC & Heater, so if you were to strip it all out that isnt a problem as you could still retain the front ac just remove the ac up to the engine and buy the pipe for just front ac that comes off the compressor and connect it up. Pretty much the same applies for the heating pipes. I stripped the lot out of a loaded Viano on a drive in around 6hrs on my own but that was including the ducting & brackets above the roof lining
Hi Big Un,
I know this is an old thread but thought you may be able to help. What information was it that told you the rear unit on Gareths Viano is both AC & Heater ? I have a Vito with the same set up.
Thanks

Hi Big Un,
I know this is an old thread but thought you may be able to help. What information was it that told you the rear unit on Gareths Viano is both AC & Heater ? I have a Vito with the same set up.
Thanks
Unfortunately, I'm quite sad & spend too much of my time immersed in all things Vito/Viano 😂😂 & could tell by just looking at the pictures he had posted what he had got!! You say that you have a Vito?? To have A/C in the rear it's got to be a traveliner with 9 Seats??

Unfortunately, I'm quite sad & spend too much of my time immersed in all things Vito/Viano 😂😂 & could tell by just looking at the pictures he had posted what he had got!! You say that you have a Vito?? To have A/C in the rear it's got to be a traveliner with 9 Seats??
Hi Big Un, It's great to have a passion for learning about things, whatever it is :) . Yes it's a 9 seater XLWB, great knowledge you have on these. Much appreciate your reply to an old thread.
I'm making plans to convert to a Camper. Recently changed the front seats for 2 singles so removed the bench seat, bases and fitted 2x Swivel seats.
So the Rear A/C I'm not yet sure whether to remove this yet. Based on what you've said this could also be the heater for the rear coming out of the roof vents ? If so, do you know if it uses the same pipes that run under the left side for Air Con and Heating function ?

The pipes do run under the N/S cill, as for whether you have Heater & AC would need investigation as not all had both. There wil be 2 Rubber pipes for the heater & 2 "metal" pipes for the A/C.. the other give away for AC would be the controls, they will be either in the roof above the B Pillar or built into the Overhead control panel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom