Viano detachable towbar.... Long shot!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimViano32

Car
Viano 3.2
Hi everyone,

I appreciate this is a huge long shot, but I was wondering if anyone had a detachable towbar to fit a 2004 Mercedes Viano?

It seems that our van came fitted with the Westfalia detachable Towbar from the factory. The electrics and fixing bracket is present beneath the bumper and I've even found the dost key for the towbar, bit no towbar 🤦‍♂️.

I've had some quotes for fitting a new detachable towbar because I've basically given up at this point! I would just rather not spend £500+...

I don't know if other models of the Westfalia detachable towbars may fit, did anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks for any help,
James

Is your 3.2 the petrol version?
Of personal interest, what's your real life fuel consumption?

Is your 3.2 the petrol version?
Of personal interest, what's your real life fuel consumption?
Hi, yes it is.

We've had it for a year, done a mixture of journeys and would say it averages about 20-21mpg.

Reactions: m80
Have you tried eBay?

Is the detachable hitch model specific, did they vary in different years?
Thanks for posting that, not many advertise with postage.

I've no idea whether Towbars from different vehicles would fit... Hoping someone here might have experience!

We have the same factory Westfalia one on our Vito - IIRC it's designed to be stored behind the offside interior trim panel in the boot (we have two-tier caging for the dogs in the back, so ours lives in the garage when not fitted!). As an aside the factory electrics don't have permanent live or ignition-switched live connections, which can be a pain depending on what you tow (onboard anti-snake systems like Al-Ko ATC usually run off the permanent live).

Worst case you should definitely be able to get a replacement hook. My previous VW had a similar Westfalia one (also factory fit), which got bent into the bumper in a rear-end shunt while towing - that was replaced as part of the insurance repair.

Perhaps you could identify an identical hitch from eBay??

I couldn't see one offhand, but worst case the OP should be able to order one from a dealer for less than the cost of a new towbar?

Here are some shots of mine though, which might help with the search for a used one:

pic 1.JPG

pic 2.JPG

pic 3.JPG

pic 4.JPG

I couldn't see one offhand, but worst case the OP should be able to order one from a dealer for less than the cost of a new towbar?

Here are some shots of mine though, which might help with the search for a used one:

View attachment 116098

View attachment 116097

View attachment 116096

View attachment 116095

That information is all really helpful, thank you so much!

I had a good search of all the interior areas behind the panels in case it was hiding, but alas not...

We're only planning on putting a bike carrier on at the moment so hopefully the electrics won't be a problem! Sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but does one simply call Mercedes and try to order a replacement towbar? Would I need a part number?

Thanks again for the advice.

That information is all really helpful, thank you so much!

I had a good search of all the interior areas behind the panels in case it was hiding, but alas not...

We're only planning on putting a bike carrier on at the moment so hopefully the electrics won't be a problem! Sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but does one simply call Mercedes and try to order a replacement towbar? Would I need a part number?

Thanks again for the advice.

You're welcome. TBH I'd be inclined to go to a dealership parts counter and ask someone face to face - they should be able to look up the part and advise on availability and cost (take your VIN as they'll probably want that). It might also be worth checking with an MB commercial dealership (if you can find one near you) as that could be cheaper! MB certainly used to be a bit funny about the car/van divide though ... a car dealership once refused to sell me a Jasper Blue paint touch up pen because it was for our Vito!

not so much the passenger side but below the drivers seat is a hidey hole.
Possible but unlikely is within the underslung spare, unless you're compact.

not so much the passenger side but below the drivers seat is a hidey hole.
Possible but unlikely is within the underslung spare, unless you're compact.
Thanks m80. Ours in the compact, so sadly no spare wheel to look in! I'll keep my eyes peeled on eBay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom