Viano instrument upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marku

Car
Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
Had the opportunity to upgrade from the old fan instrument on a 2006 Viano to the Hi-line two dials. Everybody said its easy simply swap them except it isn't. The plug on the Viano will not fit the socket on the Hi-line. Both have 18 pins and superficially they would appear to fit but offer them up and the keys on the plug are wider apart than those on the socket. Any easy solution or is it a non-starter?

Hi, Its all been done and covered here on the forum, the pictures will be missing sadly but yes it can be done easy enough, you need the change the plug housing and move all the pins in the plug to new positions.
Cluster will need setting to zero or a new one fitted.
See if the search works or look back on my old posts.

Hi, Its all been done and covered here on the forum, the pictures will be missing sadly but yes it can be done easy enough, you need the change the plug housing and move all the pins in the plug to new positions.
Cluster will need setting to zero or a new one fitted.
See if the search works or look back on my old posts.

Looked back as you suggest and yes it can be done but I have to admit that I think it beyond me. I can't figure out which pin correlates to which so I guess I will have to pass on it. Pity nice replacement looks like it will end up on the shelf.

I have the details on the pins, I will dig them out.

I have the details on the pins, I will dig them out.
That would be great if you would. I really don't like giving up on things and have been thinking about it ever since my posting and will have another go. Can I fit the new plug and if so where might I get one?
Thanks

plug is in two parts, the white outer case is the housing and the black inner is the pin housing, that stays the same.
All from MB parts

PIN COLOUR GAUGE DESCRIPTION
01 BROWN/YELLOW 0.75 W1/6 Ground
04 RED/GREY 0.75 K40/9 PIN2 (+12v)
06 BLACK/PINK 0.5 K40/9 PIN4
07 BRWON 0.5 U905/6 PIN2
08 WHITE 0.5 U905/6 PIN1
09 GREY/GREEN 0.5 U909 Radio / Command
12 GREEN 0.5 X30/27 PIN2
13 GREEN/WHITE 0.5 X30/27 PIN1
14 BLACK/BLUE 0.5 K40/9 PIN8
15 BLACK/YELLOW 0.5 K40/9 PIN1
17 BROWN 0.5 X30/24 PIN2
18 BROWN/RED 0.5 X30/24 PIN1

As has just been said that's what makes the forum great. Thank you very much for your help. Will post my progress.

Have opted for replacing the plug rather than attempting any reworking of the existing one. Got one ordered and hope to get round to it at the weekend.

Keep getting all worked up to do this but they keep sending me the wrong plug. Have another go tomorrow to get the right one. Not me with the wrong part number, I don't have it, but have made real efforts to explain what I want obviously without success.

Solved the problem of the plug although they must make one that fits I can't seem to get hold of one. You just modify they old one. Take off the end keys on the right and it fits perfectly. Next step to wire it up and see if it works.

Well I guess that this is the end of the project. Got it all stripped out ready to install and I am missing connections for pins 11,12 and 13 which on the new display is apparently for radio, comand and phone etc. As it is fitted with those items and obviously wired into the old display I now have no way of knowing which pin is which on the old display and would connect to the new. Pity I was looking forward to the new look.

No just fit it, I did post a while back with the plug part number, its the same as a w203 if that helps.
Wires missing is fine, its mostly on Can anyway so no problem with comand etc

No just fit it, I did post a while back with the plug part number, its the same as a w203 if that helps.
Wires missing is fine, its mostly on Can anyway so no problem with comand etc

Thanks for that I need all the support I can get as vehicle electronics are a mystery to me. I can just about manage the 450SE I have but even that has electronic fuel injection that I have yet to come to terms with. Mercedes went with mechanical two years later. I got it, its 1974, not just out of interest but I thought it would more simple. Any way I plan to have another go at the Viano this week. We are real enthusiasts for it and plan to keep it now as it is the most useful vehicle we have had.

Well had a go at installing the new display much trouble having to replace some of the pin connectors plugged it all in and nothing. Thought it would have at least showed some life and lighted up. Looked really good in place big improvement must be doing something wrong so back to the drawing board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom