Viano Reversing camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skiingnick

Car
2005 E55 Estate
Hello all,

I've installed an after market reversing camera in my Viano which has a Comand NTG2 installed. I've bought and installed an interface and a wireless unit so I don't need to run a video cable from front to rear. The video interface for the NTG2 needs a reversing signal to automatically switch to the reversing camera when reverse is selected and this is where I'm stuck. Does anyone know where I can pick this up at the front of the car?

I know everything works because when in reverse and the reverse signal wire is connected to positive, it switches over to the camera. I just need to find a reverse signal at the front of the car.

Please help.

Nick.

have a look in the passenger side under the dash there is a flap, inside this there should be some black plastic bags tied up with a cable tie. Inside this bag you are looking for a yellow connector with a white/blue cable in it .

This is the reverse signal you are looking for

Nick

Fantastic. Thanks for the help.

I'll have a look tomorrow (if I spend anymore time on it today, my wife will divorce me).

Nick.

No problem , it might be cable tied to the trim behind the panel on the end of the dash , but should be able to get to it from the under tray .

Nick

Right, just had time to look at this and sorted it in 15 minutes. All works as it should now.

Thanks very much for the help.

Hello all,

I've installed an after market reversing camera in my Viano which has a Comand NTG2 installed. I've bought and installed an interface and a wireless unit so I don't need to run a video cable from front to rear. The video interface for the NTG2 needs a reversing signal to automatically switch to the reversing camera when reverse is selected and this is where I'm stuck. Does anyone know where I can pick this up at the front of the car?

I know everything works because when in reverse and the reverse signal wire is connected to positive, it switches over to the camera. I just need to find a reverse signal at the front of the car.

Please help.

Nick.

What kit did you use and from where, Nick? And does it work well?

I bought this reversing camera cheap
Reverse Camera For Mercedes Vito/ Viano,2004-onwards,W639 | eBay

This is the video interface
Mercedes Comand NTG2 Multimedia Video Interface A/B/C/G/R Class | eBay
It was easy to wire in but you do have to break into the Comand ntg2 unit and replace a ribbon between the board and the LCD screen. I had a problem with the one they sent me in that the exposed pins on the replacement ribbon faced the wrong way but they sent out a replacement next day. Other connections needed are earth, live, ignition live and reversing signal. You can run other video sources through it but I already have roof mounted DVD screens so only use it for the reversing camera. It's quite a tight fit locating the box at the back of the comand unit but it does fit.

I didn't fancy trying to run a video cable from front to back (it may be an easy job but I couldn't find any info on it) so I bought
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A645668/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
which actually fits really well with the reversing camera as you wire the sender up to the reverse light and it powers the camera.

I did toy with the idea of buying a command ntg2.5 which is apparently a simpler install as you don't need the video interface but my money is also needed for children and a loft conversion at the moment so may do that in the future as the 2.5 unit is much better all round.

Only thing I haven't done yet is buy a bulb holder to fit into the reversing camera but that will have to wait until after my holiday, plus I'm not sure which one I need.

Hope the links work.

I forgot to say, it's quite a good picture and has the guide lines on it, although I haven't used it it anger yet so imagine there is going to be a bit of a learning curve.

I mainly got it to help the wife as driving the Viano is quite different to a normal car........especially reversing in our local Waitrose car park.

First post here having just bought a 2011 Vito dualiner as band transport. Of course, improving audio is the first job, but since I've bought a new HU with loads of inputs, I figured it makes sense to use them. Thanks for the info on the reverse signal source.
Any thoughts about the parking brake signal and speed signal?
(On the adaptor cable I've purchased, there is also a telephone mute wire, but seeing as I'm using the HU for bluetooth, I don't think I need to use that.)

Last edited:
have a look in the passenger side under the dash there is a flap, inside this there should be some black plastic bags tied up with a cable tie. Inside this bag you are looking for a yellow connector with a white/blue cable in it .

Nick

Hello,

I’ve also installed a aftermarket reverse camera and stuck on the same point. I’ve checked the dash on the passenger side and find the blue/white wire but when i checked the voltage, in gives none 12V when shift lever is in R. Is this the right wire?
In my case, it’s a 2014 Vito (W639)

I hope somebody can help!

Greets!

Hello,

I’ve also installed a aftermarket reverse camera and stuck on the same point. I’ve checked the dash on the passenger side and find the blue/white wire but when i checked the voltage, in gives none 12V when shift lever is in R. Is this the right wire?
In my case, it’s a 2014 Vito (W639)

I hope somebody can help!

Greets!

Have you sorted that?
What cable is?
Cheers

Nick
Hi pal.. trying to locate the reverse signal you mention ... I have found the black bag cable tied up nr glove box . But no Yellow Plug.. And only 1 Blue/white wire into a black plug and it does not alter voltage when put into reverse..... mine is a 2014 Dualiner Automatic. trying to sort rear camera coming on my pioneer when put in reverse.

Attachments

• 20230719_014121.jpg
    20230719_014121.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 4
With the Chinese HU's the canbus takes care of the HU seeing reverse.
Otherwise you might pick up from a reverse light, taking a wire to the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom