Viano satnav fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB James

Car
S-Class W222
Hi,
I have a 2011viano ambiente.
Found a satnav on eBay here. Want to upgrade from the stereo. Is it easy to fit if I don't have an antenna?

Cheers
James

Hi,
I have a 2011viano ambiente.
Found a satnav on eBay here. Want to upgrade from the stereo. Is it easy to fit if I don't have an antenna?

Cheers
James

Yes, fitting is quite easy. you may need coding though. depends on where the unit came from and what firmware is on it.

It is an easy enough job to do, but only if you know how.
Swap the cruise control stalk so the voice control works, it's an extra stalk then scn code.
The cluster will then have directions and phone contacts.
Antenna is not a problem.
Not sure if you will have the late AM FM antenna amp fitted, if not swap to the one designed for the comand, you then need an extra coax down to the comand.
Factory mic, also there is one designed for the job.

Last edited:
I have decided to upgrade from my existing Comand 2.0 to the newer 2.5 unit.

Having searched about on the web, it seems to depend on what your Viano is currently fitted with as to how easy a job it is.

I contacted Comandonline for advice before attempting this who assured me that as I have Comand already it's not so hard as starting from a non nav vehicle. I will need some extra parts that they have handily put into a kit- http://www.commandonline.co.uk/NTG2-NTG2.5-converter-kit.html

The new stalk is on my future wish list so I can use Linguatronic but my first job is to get the 2.5 unit, and get it fitted and working without this.

Comandonline have recommended a website as I am pretty wary of the ebay route - it might well be totally kosher but I am prepared to stump up the extra dosh and get some reassurance.

Once I receive the unit, I am going to send it in to Comandonline with details of my Viano and the features I want to use such as adding an ipod kit and enabling the reverse camera so they can test and code the unit, before I install it.

I am hoping this will make it all work first time....

Hi Bladgb,
We have the same model Viano.
Whats the website that Command online recommended? I have the Audio20 and Command. Looks like I will need the same Commandonline kit.
What is Linguatronic? Keep me updated with how you get on with the fit please.
cheers
James

If you have audio 20 it will fit right in without any problems.
Linguatronic is the voice control of the comand, it so needs it and will work with your late model no problem.
Your mic is fine, all you need is a GPS antenna, Bluetooth antenna and coding.
Like I say, you need to look at the AM FM antenna to see what is fitted, you can combine the two but its not ideal, the new antenna is like night and day with reception in poor signal areas.

Linguatronic is the MB name for the voice control Zenman mentioned.

I am slightly confused - do you have Audio 20 or Comand? Fitted currently I mean. If you read up on www.comand.co.uk which I believe is Alfie's excellent website you will see it says the wiring loom for the Audio 20 is different to that required for the Comand. With stuff like this I think you have to defer to the professionals!

Your Viano is probably the Mk2 version - with the facelift and daytime running lights? Mine is older and there will be many differences.

The website I was recommended is http://www.navizip.co.uk

I have ordered my unit - I will post a new thread when I have got started on this but I expect that won't be for a few weeks whilst it is delivered, then sent to Comandonline etc.

Good luck

Thanks guys for the info.
Is this the one your getting:
Mercedes Benz W169 W245 BD0811 -A, B Class NTG2.5 Comand Navigation - 1 single DVD/CD player

I decided to go for the six cd one, but essentially yes the same W169 unit. I currently have a six cd changer mounted under the drivers seat, which will become redundant.

I quite like CDs so wanted the multi player one although if i get the ipod connector I might not need them.

I am thinking of a sub under the drivers seat later, once the bank account has chance to replenish, but that's another mod for another day.

When I joined here the regulars warned me that retrofitting was addictive - I actually think it's some kind of infectious disease because I deffo caught it on here!!

Beware!!

Bladgb said:
I decided to go for the six cd one, but essentially yes the same W169 unit. I currently have a six cd changer mounted under the drivers seat, which will become redundant. I quite like CDs so wanted the multi player one although if i get the ipod connector I might not need them. I am thinking of a sub under the drivers seat later, once the bank account has chance to replenish, but that's another mod for another day. When I joined here the regulars warned me that retrofitting was addictive - I actually think it's some kind of infectious disease because I deffo caught it on here!! Beware!!

Looks like you have a phone mount on the dash, that will need changing to the later one as well.
Look for my posts.

zenman63 said:
Looks like you have a phone mount on the dash, that will need changing to the later one as well. Look for my posts.

Hehehe I have seen your other posts, I was going to ask about this - is it correct that if I buy the MB UHI iphone5 cradle this will clip onto my existing mount on place of my Viseeo and then I pop the iPhone into the cradle?

This just then gives me power and antenna, the phone connecting by Bluetooth to the 2.5?

I have taken your earlier advice and gone for Chrome to scour ebay.de and found a cradle that says its genuine MB for about £100 ish.

Cheers for your help

Hang on the penny just dropped - I need a NEW phone mount when I upgrade to 2.5 don't I?!! (Bit slow on the uptake - I looked at your photo and it still didn't register)

Then I can get a cradle etc.

Can you advise me where to start looking for one of these, if it's not too cheeky...

Thanks again

Its all from MB parts.
I think comand on line will sell you the parts, its not on there web page, ask Mark is the way to go.
I would just make the trip down and sort the lot in one go as the phone cradle mount on the dash has to be re wired.
And then yes your phone will work bluetooth and charge and external antenna.
How old is the Viano? just thinking about you adding the Linguatronic, it will not work with an early cluster, not sure on the crossover but we have had a 2009 working fine, the even later cluster has white leds and just looks better.
Not that expensive new if you want to swap yours and sell your old one.
Again Mark and Richard will help on that.

Last edited:
It's a 2007 - thanks for the advice, I hope the OP is finding this useful!

OK - I now have received my Comand 2.5, sent it off to Mark at Comandonline and they have coded it up for my Viano and set up the reverse camera function.

I got the converter kit and immediately was stumped!!

I had to ask Mark a couple of questions and also got some help from another forum member who pointed me in the right direction (thanks fella).

So, in a couple of weeks I am going to have a go at this upgrade from my existing Comand to the newer unit.

Zenman mentioned a newer mic in one of his postings and I have taken a pic of mine behind the overhead cluster, it seems to have only two wires to it in that green connector, but the loom from Comandonline has four wires to a black connector. Can anyone enlighten me - do I need a newer mic?

The other pic is the back of my current Comand unit, I need to pin out number 13 and connect this to the converter loom to power my antenna as advised by Mark. How do I identify which is pin 13, and is the wire the same colour (yellow) as on the converter loom?

The other stuff in the kit looks good, a connector for the dual antenna to my single one, a Bluetooth aerial and something for the Aux which I don't need.

I also got the ipod video interface, but I think fitting that may be for when I have put some more modding miles on the clock!

Attachments

• image-21341465.jpg
    image-21341465.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image-2843963243.jpg
    image-2843963243.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image-1174587047.jpg
    image-1174587047.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image-3183874593.jpg
    image-3183874593.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 23
The Mic lead is bought in by them from a man in germany, who makes them, they make two sorts, a 2 pin and a 4 pin, all you need is a 2 pin housing and then break out the two cores and pins carefully and insert into the new housing.
connect green with black (ground)from microphone and brown with red(mic +)

Nick

Last edited:
Germany? 4-2? Why does that ring a bell?!!

Seriously Nick you are a genius.

Looking at the pin out diagram for ntg 2.5, the other two wires in that black 4 pin connector are: mic 2(+) and mic shielding respectively. So the later Viano must have twin mics.

I also noted that the photo of my old unit shows that the quadlock connector is rotated by 90 degrees when plugged into the new 2.5 unit. This makes it obvious which is pin 13 on the vehicle connector described as unused on the diagram, hence the advice to pin out this wire and connect it to pin 7 on block B (pin7).

I think I need to get a pin out tool to do this carefully, and maybe some kind of wire "pull through" to route this grey cable from the top of the A post to the overhead console....

Cheers

Attachments

• image-193190066.jpg
    image-193190066.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 17
Mate read through what I post, its there to help after all.
Just swap the mic for the one i gave the part number for, it looks the same but works so much better, clearer sharper sound.
Swap the antenna again what I have posted.
You don't need power to the new antenna.
You will have wires now missing, I did post that before for the antenna duel inputs for the diversity antenna to work as it should, the splitter is not how it should work, it will work but not right so don't use it.
Pin 13 just cut it off
Pin 7, look on the rear of the NTG2.5 and you will see the number inside the socket, this just goes to the fan, don't bother with the antenna amp wire as it's redundant with the new antenna amp.
You need a wire from the new antenna to the plug you have that fits the old comand.

Hey Zenman you set me a task digging around in your posts and across forums!

I found this on the antenna

"Part number A639 820 22 89 made for the NTG 2.5."

And this for the mic

"New genuine vito mic sorted it out at last, clips in the over head and give great quality sound and volume, at last!!!!!

part numberA001 820 45 35"

Do they sound correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom