Viano satnav fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is the amp Part number A639 820 22 89 made for the NTG 2.5.

This is the latest mic part number A001 820 45 35.

I will find you the harness you need

zenman63 said:
This is the amp Part number A639 820 22 89 made for the NTG 2.5.

Great. Thanks a million.

Does the wire I need to connect this to old plug in the car come with it, or is it a ebay job?

Cheers

The guy who makes the wires in Germany is a way but back the 22ed
I will pm his details.
He makes just what you need inc the rear view camera lead.

Great thanks for that.

I will order up the amp and mic from MB parts as I have an order pending with MB parts online for a seat box cover with a speaker grille in it - they are just waiting for a price from Germany.

I am also needing a couple of clips and a treenail for a loose screw on the rear cup holder, but these are just pennies, so will get it all in one order.

Oh you have E66, that cover is just over £30, so you have speakers in the a post trims like mine and a sub under the seat?

No afraid I haven't got the official E66. I just had the speakers upgraded, and had a sub woofer fitted under the drivers seat.

Pics on my My Project Viano thread - can't work how to link it on my iPad app..

I wanted tweeters in the A-post as per E66 but the audio guys advised me to see how I get on with the upgraded speakers in the doors and passenger compartment especially as I am upgrading Comand.

I think they didn't fancy chopping up the A-post trims, this gives me a future retrofit to do!

It sounds so much better in there having got rid of the MB speakers already.

To expand on Zenman's post :-

NTG2.5 powers the antenna amplifier(s) over the coax feed - this is called Phantom Fed. Earlier vehicles have a separate power-feed, which is supplied by the stereo when it is on. NTG2.5 units don't supply that feed on the same quadlock pin, but they have an equivalent (to turn on the comfort phone system) on another - which is what that little amount of quadlock re-wiring is for. NTG2.5 units also have 2 separate FM/AM feeds (into the white double fakra) whereas old cars had a black fakra with a full feed and a mustard fakra with a special "diverse feed". The mustard fakra on NTG2.5 is the Bluetooth antenna.

The Vito antenna amplifier (top of windscreen) isn't that good, and whereas it works OK with the splitter, it could be much better - and often people want the NTG2.5 amplifier installed (and the second coax for the second feed too) - I don't know if Zenman ran a second cable or used one cable and the splitter - never tried the latter myself.

The antenna amps in all the passenger cars seem absolutely fine, although in my own car I put in the NTG2.5 antenna amplifiers.

Richard

Ok had a very good day.

I have fitted the 2.5 unit with no problems.

Most awkward bit was routing up the mic cable, but not as difficult as I had been anticipating with the help of a wire pull through from ebay.

I have gone for a temporary first fitting, as I am still waiting for the antenna amp and newer mic from MB parts, who cancelled my order at the checking stage, rejecting it because the parts were not suitable for my VIN. I had been in email contact about the retrofit but made the error of not writing anything on the online order checkout page.

This meant I missed the Bank Hol closures so doubt I will see the stuff until next weekend at the earliest.

So I have connected up the old mic as per Sparkydudes earlier post and taken Zenmans advice to cut off pin 13 and connect the existing antenna amp to pin 7 on block B of the new unit.

Thanks to all for your advice and Richard for the technical explanation of what was needed. I have tested the unit, all is working. It sounds great, and looks so much better than the old unit. I haven't got a cable to connect up my reverse camera yet, but as per the coding by Comandonline when I select reverse the screen blanks leaving the "check entire surroundings" message so I have no doubt this will work too.

I will post up again when my antenna amp and mic arrive .

Attachments

• image-2188042527.jpg
    image-2188042527.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 14
  • image-3082839002.jpg
    image-3082839002.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 15
There you go, just glad you have made a start.
The reverse camera lead I got from ebay, A guy made me a 6m leaded with a green 90deg fakra to rca for less than £10 delivered.
Make sure the camera is NTSC or it will be black and white.

Ok the parts have arrived.

As you can see the mic has a two core connection.

The antenna amplifier has some interesting connections - a mustard fakra, a black fakra and that twin green wire going to what looks a bit like battery connection (but I bet it's not).

So, I need to get some cables and work out what goes where...help needed again!!

Thanks

Attachments

• image-454864988.jpg
    image-454864988.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image-4290579947.jpg
    image-4290579947.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image-2081727040.jpg
    image-2081727040.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 12
There you go, just glad you have made a start.
The reverse camera lead I got from ebay, A guy made me a 6m leaded with a green 90deg fakra to rca for less than £10 delivered.
Make sure the camera is NTSC or it will be black and white.

The camera standard is selectable. In any event, one should probably use a Mercedes modulator to isolate the camera from the head unit. Then it solves the issue of it being NTSC or PAL.

miro said:
The camera standard is selectable. In any event, one should probably use a Mercedes modulator to isolate the camera from the head unit. Then it solves the issue of it being NTSC or PAL.

How do you select the standard? My wireless receiver will output either pal or NTSC, and NTSC does indeed appear in colour and pal b&w but the darned thing defaults to PAL each time it powers off!

It's not a big deal I just have to run through the menu once a day, the unit shuts down when it's internal battery goes flat but if I can alter the setting in the Comand that would be useful!

Not too complicated ,

The green battery type connection is what goes to the connection on the windscreen, the two fakras are both for the antennae from the Command, you need to have two leads comming from the command to the amplifier, one can be the standard aerial co ax cable thats already installed but you need an adaptor and the other one is best to run a new lead in for . Not too complicated really, but the difference it makes to your radio signal strength is pretty amazing . Found so many more stations after it was fitted than before and a lot clearer also. See below for the lead you need, i think the second one is the complete set up, as you can see, the leads convert the existing co ax type plug to a fakra for the COMMAND and the other lead just goes upto the amp. The existing module your replacing has only one Fakra and if its like mine had no plastic on the plug to locate with the new fakra, but fitted fine anyways.

KABELDAVIKO

KABELDAVIKO

Nick

Thanks, that's great.

I will get the cable in the second link, and give it a shot. My reception with the current antenna splitter works ok, but it does drop out especially in built up areas.

The German cable guy came good and sent out the cable - I fitted this easily along with the new antenna amp.

As explained by Sparkydude, this cable has one long lead up to the new antenna amp (which has two outputs, not one like the old unit) and a short lead to make the second connection behind the Comand to the existing aerial lead.

However, I didn't read Sparkydudes post carefully enough and am missing an adaptor for the short lead to connect to the existing black fakra behind the Comand so have ordered one off ebay as the German site is offline for a week or so.

I also fitted the new mic, but found that the connector is different - the lug has been reversed from the original green connector to the newer brown connector on the mic.

Had to chop it up to connect which was a bit annoying but it works fine.

Today I fitted my ipod interface to the ntg 2.5 unit and this was pretty straightforward except I had to fit the ipod cable to the centre storage area not the glovebox. This was because I couldn't find a good place to drill a 19mm hole in the glovebox as there are so many wires etc behind it. I chickened out of dismantling the whole dashboard basically.

I can confirm the ipod works fine even though it's just the basic non media interface type so no track info on the head unit, just in the cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom