Viano suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marku

Car
Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
It was parked up about 10 days ago with no apparent problems. Not been any where since because of the virus but decided to back it out, give it a wash and see how it was running. Surprise the front suspension has collapsed. The right front spring is actually rubbing on the tyre and I found a section of it underneath. The suspension is down equally on both sides and I would have thought if it was just one side wouldn't it have a list to that side or is it something more serious?

OK will do but it did look a bit alarming particularly as it did not happen on the road.

I had one go bang as I was gardening next to it, it was a C class but same thing really.

My turn.
The Vito hasn't been touched for 2 weeks, moving of the drive , 10 feet and pop. Not a scary bang, but the font n/s has snapped.

I wasn't sure until getting under there with a torch, but the spring has moved down the leg maybe 4". It drives fine with a bit of a knock over bumps. If I hadn't heard the pop I wouldn't suspect, it doesn't look or feel to be dropped, until it took the tyre out eventually.

I'm thinking to source Viano springs for the softer ride.
Marku if you get opportunity to measure the free length of the Viano spring I would appreciate it.

Don't know whether it will be possible to measure the spring as tomorrow it is going by transporter to the nearest repairer which is about 10 miles away. You say you didn't notice any difference but the tyres on both sides were only just clearing the arch. I did cut the springs off to free up the tyres as I had thought of being able to drive it there but thought better of it. It was a bit of a worry considering the relatively low mileage but looking at both springs it would seem that the nearside was the first. Likely cause the bad state of the roads not so much the road itself but the edges. The country roads around us are very narrow and are increasingly getting broken by the farm vehicles that get bigger and heavier and can't pass each other. If you are on the road as well and meet one then you have no alternative but to go off the edge. The secret is I suppose not to try and do it at any sort of speed. I will ask the repairer if they will measure it.

Thanks,
I forgot both of yours are broken, so less easy to measure.
My guess is that they will be just an inch or two shorter.

I'll find out next week if our local garage are open. They've a compressor and have changed mine in the past for a tenner..
If they can do this while I'm present I would like to check the dampers out. The n/s should be easy to check while off anyway, no spring to stop me.

That is value for money for you. The cost of replacing both front springs is going to be just short of £600.

That is value for money for you. The cost of replacing both front springs is going to be just short of £600.

Blimey, flippin' 'eck,
a pair of springs, not oem, about £65.93 (give or take a ha'penny).
It might be they want a bit more than £20 for compressing the pair for me, but they're welcome to it as it's better than losing my wig if one lets go while I try.

A would have though that I can do the rest in less than a day.

Last edited:
FWIW MB Ascot (not the cheapest dealership) charged £308 all-in to replace the rear springs on our Vito after one broke.

Replacing the rear springs on the 'Vito' is less than a hour to do.
I wish one of those had gone.

Thought it a bit pricey but perhaps because they are working minimal staff given the circumstances. Don't particularly mind though. I don't want to do it. To much trouble really and of course the tracking will have to be done. We have had the Viano from new and I have never done any real work on it. I have too much to do on the 116

This is a first. Before collecting the Viano did comment on the price saying thought it a bit high. When I collected it the price had been reduced by £190.00. The reason given was that I had been quoted the maximum possible but the work had gone much quicker. What ever the reason it was very acceptable but it does raise the question if I had not queried it would I have been charged the higher price? Would also like to take the opportunity of recommending the tow truck people McKenna of Cambridge. A really first class job.

Nice, that'll but a few pints of Guinness, when the pubs are serving us again.

I got around to starting mine today.
There's no rush so taking my time.
I've stripped both legs out. Cleaned a lot of mucky stuff and retapped the rusty receivers of the under wiper tray. The tray, being a drain was full of leaves and muck of years.
Both legs are stripped and ready for spraying.
I'll spray the brake pipes under there prior to re assembly.
New Sachs springs ordered for £65.93, that'll be a few days till delivery.
My spring compressors did ok for dis assembly but I'm hoping to re form them to be a better fit, and may well re assemble myself.

Started at midday and stopped for grub about 7pm.
If in a rush I reckon those 7 hours would see the job done, excluding wheel alignment though.

Make sure you mark the camber adjustment on the bottom of the shock. Most wheel alignment places don't know how to adjust them.

Make sure you mark the camber adjustment on the bottom of the shock. Most wheel alignment places don't know how to adjust them.

Yep, done that.
I have to careful though. Wire brushing the legs ready for a repaint and I could have easily removed my marks.
Waiting for delivery of springs, better compressors and more caliper paint, and then I'll complete it, at leisure, next week.

Think i might have looked into H&R lowering springs if i was changing the springs.

Isn't that going to upset the air suspension? It has enough trouble levelling itself as it is and there is only a couple of inches between the tyre and the wheel arch which it was just fouling with the broken springs.

No the level sensor would adjust the rear to suit the new front.
Personally I prefer having a higher ride anyway. I scuffed bumpers in parking spaces, and broken the plastic bumper supports at the front, not expensive but still.

Sure? The travel of the air suspension is limited the manual control only adjusts 50mm. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom