Viano Towbar electrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pappa583

SUPPORTER
Car
2013 Vito compact sportx brabus
I have been given a towbar which I intend to fit myself and fit the electrics for towing a caravan (when I buy it) question i have is, does anybody have the wiring details/cable colours/drawings, location where is best to connect into the vehicle electrics and does it need error code updates installed.
Cheers

I can give information relevant to 2014 model, which more likely includes earlier too.
Only for the 7 pin though.

I can give information relevant to 2014 model, which more likely includes earlier too.
Only for the 7 pin though.
That'll do, just the 7 pin is all I was going to put on, cheers

Hope this works,

Attachments

• ec-Vi 651-Tow Electrics.pdf
    63.4 KB · Views: 11
Turns out the towbar i was given was of a pre 2010 so doesn't fit..... I have even sanded and painted it, bought a new towball, cover and new bolts..... ah well ebay it is then 🙄

That'll do, just the 7 pin is all I was going to put on, cheers

Unless you plan to buy a really old caravan I would go for a 13 pin socket - caravans have had 13 pin plugs for a good many years and it just makes life a bit easier. Also ... quite a few caravans have stability control systems now (to stop snaking) - these need a permanent live feed from the towing vehicle, which is on the second socket (12S) with 7-pin electrics.

I hadn't realised there had been any changes to prevent an earlier bar fitting.

I bought new from Poland, about £85 if memory serves. They do with and w/o electric kits. Not sure about 13 pin though as I had no need.

The 3 holes either side of the rear chassis are already there, I only needed to cut a small area of the bumper on the out of sight underside.
I replaced some bolts with stainless (A4 rated).
I mounted my socket into the bumper as the brackets flex, bend and rust too easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom