Viano vs Vito Traveliner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nimmat

Car
w211 E270 CDI Avant Auto
Are they both the same machines with different names and a slightly different internal trim? If so, then why is the Viano not rated well at parkers or whatcar?

I drove a Vito traveliner in South Africa a couple of years ago and though it was brilliant... not what parkers have to say though :confused:

We might be getting a peoples carrier in the next 6-8 months so just starting the research... sliding doors are a must. Voyager and grand voyager dont seem to have any power in them at all and are sluggish, peugeot 807 along with its brothers and sisters is good but severe reliability issues. So down to viano/vito, mazda 5, sedona (never driven one) and i think a couple more.

Nim

I must confess to thinking it is down to snobbery. We mustn't like the Viano because it's a van and Mercedes make cars! I think they offer great value for money and much prefer one to the any of the oppostion. Nothing wrong with the Traveliner but it's a van :devil: :devil: :)

John the Viano fan (van)

Are they both the same machines with different names and a slightly different internal trim?

Yes they are exactly the same vehicles apart from interior trim and standard features vs options. Externally the only thing you can't have on a Vito is the Viano's smaller door mirrors with indicators.

VW do exactly the same with the Caravelle MPV and Shuttle minibus (both are T5 Transporters).

Our Vito Dualiner cost more than many Vianos, but we were able to have exactly what we wanted i.e. 6 seats in only 2 rows. And a stonking great engine of course :)

peugeot 807 along with its brothers and sisters is good but severe reliability issues.

Nim

We've had a Citroen C8 for over 4 years now. Mechanically it has been perfect. Electrically it has had the odd tantrum, but always easily over-riden, and has never let us down. It's a brilliant family car. We also have a T5 camper-van. Those and Vianos/Vitos are less car-like to drive, but that can be a positive or a negative, depending on your priorities and intended use.

The best thing to do is to find the time to try them to see which suits best.

We had a VW Sharan before the Vito, and there's virtually no difference in handling despite the Vito (a "Long") being bigger and heavier). It drives very nicely ... the wife loves it.

Voyager and grand voyager dont seem to have any power in them at all and are sluggish

Have you seen the crash test results for the Voyager? :eek:

If you want sliding doors and decent power then a Vito/Viano with the V6 CDi and auto gearbox is the only option really. You can't argue with 8.0 secs to 60 mph :)

VW's 5-cyl 2.5 can only be had with a manual gearbox, and gives 30 bhp less.

Lifestyle might hold a bit of sway here - I have had a Sedona - great value - comfy, turning circle of a supertanker and huge overhanging bumpers, but at the time, 6 - 7 years ago they cost nothing new approx £13k. Interior was plasticky but ok - decent enough, honest and a bit different (read odd). Since then I have had a Renault Trafic van (with rear seats) absolutely faultless vehicle, and currently the Vito 120 absolutely insanely wonderful. I just know at some point it's going to bite me in the ****. It's that good. However all these vehicles were/are used as semi commercial load carriers for which I am happy to forgo the refinements. Generally my time is spent lugging cycles and surfboards around - my priority is not people. I like the commercial underpinnings - I may be naive but I think that makes them tough. There is also a growing 'van culture' that I like, sort of classless back to basics. Oddly this gives vans quite a high resale value. Modern van's may be 'car like' to drive but lets be honest they dont handle like cars - they are taller - great for vision but as fast as some are now getting they don't cosset you or have the sheer ride quality or sure footedness of a limo, and if you faf around with one so that it has all these qualities it's pretty useless as a van. I know that, accept it and still come back for more. TBH I can't ever see me having a car again they suit my lifestyle - but your Viano reviewers are not comparing it with another van they are marking it in it's psuedo car world where it will always be less than best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom