Viano W639 3.0 V6 Auto - Hissing, Jerking & Shuddering... Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madam

Car
Mercedes Viano 3.0 V6
Hello everyone...

After searching and testing driving far too many Vianos for the past 8 months, we finally got one we were happy with... however after a week of driving we have noticed a few problems and wondered if someone could guide us in the right direction?

We bought a 2008 Viano, 3.0 Diesel V6 - Automatic. 120k on the clock, fully stamped book.

We will be heading back to the dealer with any faults picked up to see about warranty work, but wanted an idea of what is going on with it.

1. It 'jumps' or 'jerks' when it is moved into drive and reverse
2. It has a weird shuddering sound between some gears, sounds like we have went over rumble strips when we haven't
3. There is a hissing sound coming from the right of the engine bay, (excuse my lack of engine knowledge here... I tried to google!) on inspection it is the black plastic pipe which leaves the top right corner of the engine and connects to the metal piping to go under the engine - putting a hand over this plastic to metal connection makes the sound quieter, so it's a leak of some sort - but what is it? Should it have a rubber seal?
4. When the engine is turned off, there is a bizarre sound that can be heard in the cabin - like a fan not spinning properly / intermittently perhaps? Seems like an electrical fan rather than an engine fan if that makes sense?

And lastly.... where can we get a workshop manual for it?

Thank you in advance... I hope someone can point us in the right direction!

Without a picture difficult to say. almost certainly a vacuum leak of some sort. How are the brakes- it isn't the line to the brake servo is it?

Surprisingly there does not appear to be a workshop manual available that is worth having. I have looked. The only good one I found was in German. You could subscribe to the Mercedes EPC ( electronic parts catalogue) and WIS ( workshop information service) or you could join the Mercedes-Benz Club which gives you access to the EPC. Certainly if you intend doing your own maintenance they are invaluable but MB recently put the price up.

4. When the engine is turned off, there is a bizarre sound that can be heard in the cabin - like a fan not spinning properly / intermittently perhaps? Seems like an electrical fan rather than an engine fan if that makes sense?

There's a cooling fan for the electronics behind the dash that runs for some time after turning off. Sounds like yours is on the way out.

1. and 2. sound like they're probably related ... get the gearbox fluid level checked, and fault codes read. Hope that's not anything nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom