Viano: Water in mirror indicators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB James

Car
S-Class W222
Hi there,
I have moisture in the wing mirror indicators on both sides. Anyone know how to dry them with/without removing the indicator cover.
I have a 2011 Viano Ambiente.
Cheers

Depends on how the moisture got in. Theoretically, heating the lights with a hairdryer might be enough to expand the air inside which would look for somewhere to go, taking the moisture with it.
The same principal as leaving headlights on to dry them out.

Or am I talking boll**s?

Well, the hairdryer treatment didn't work (and I don't mean the Man U kind). I guess I'll have to dismantle the wing mirror to access the indicator cover? Anyone know how?

Mine had the same problem when I bought it, on both sides.

I had toyed with removing them to see if I could dry them out as suggested ^

Found a video showing this on a slk which is probably similar

http://youtu.be/Z3UshDV5Qzg

However, my Indy replaced both for me - the indicator lens was around £27 new from MB parts and it only took the Indy about half an hour to do both as they said they have done it on lots of Mercs.

Going forward, I expect the part has been redesigned on the later Vianos but as a precaution I have taken to garaging mine - it :just: fits!

Attachments

• image-706982548.jpg
    image-706982548.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Bladgb. Looks straight forward from the vid. Will give it a go. Cheers

OK, so I took the wing mirror apart and the indicator light is a sealed unit. In my naivety I thought I could wipe the moisture from the inside facia. Dunno how the moisture got in, but need to replace the units on both sides.
Will try to claim on the warranty as I bought this Viano in mid feb and i noticed the moisture when I got it home. Got it from a merc dealer in South London and its got a few issues.

MB James said:
OK, so I took the wing mirror apart and the indicator light is a sealed unit. In my naivety I thought I could wipe the moisture from the inside facia. Dunno how the moisture got in, but need to replace the units on both sides. Will try to claim on the warranty as I bought this Viano in mid feb and i noticed the moisture when I got it home. Got it from a merc dealer in South London and its got a few issues.

Odd how it gets in, there must be a hole somewhere as since garaging mine it's been fine on that score.

I reckon it should be covered under the warranty as they are a sealed unit - what are the other issues out of interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom