Vibration 18´s on w211 can´t figure it out!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cellarmerc

Car
W211 E320cdi est. Elegance 2005
I recently bought an E class W211 2005 estate cdi320, it came with replica AMG 18´s which seem to be new also with set of new (but cheap) Rotalla tyres. I have had them balanced back and front twice but at 100kmh or more the steering vibrates quite a bit. I thought it might be the tyres being poorly made, like not equal rubber density or something . What do you think is the problem . I made the garage really take time to balance them due to this vibration . Maybe all 18 inch with 40series tyres are like this ...

Tyres!

Almost definitely!

I've had a previous Car and a Van both give problems which felt like a knackered steering rack in the Van and like the wheel bearings were shot in the car.

Both times it was tyres, and tyres with good tread as well!

you pay peanuts, you get monkeys ...

Got to be poor quality tyres, 2 of my mercs run that size without a problem.

One other idea, if your wheels use spigot rings you may have 1 missing.:dk:

replica rims are known to buckle, check them first, also check they are flush on the hub, i would get balancing done at another place to be 100% sure

Look for spigot rings with the wheel off, they might just be on the studs if they don't fit the hub as they should

Check the tyres.

I bought a car in the past with steering wheel vibrations at high speeds. I got the wheels re-balanced however, this did not make any difference.

In the end another garage found that one of the tyres had a small bulge on the side wall. Easily missed because you had to feel the tyre to actually spot it.

Check the tyres.

I bought a car in the past with steering wheel vibrations at high speeds. I got the wheels re-balanced however, this did not make any difference.

In the end another garage found that one of the tyres had a small bulge on the side wall. Easily missed because you had to feel the tyre to actually spot it.

I'd go with the as the same happened to be, perfectly good tyres but a bulge only a little one but enough to cause a vibration at high speeds

Cheap tyres? you have almost certainly answered your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom