Vibration at 65-70mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aamercedess350

Car
S350d
Purchased 2018 s350d in May 2021 from main dealer with extended warranty. Had done 35k miles and like new, 1 elderly owner.
Drove perfect first 5000 miles, upto New tyres (conti5 sport) and tracking. Main dealer fitter new front tyres and tracked.
Since, car has annoying vibration at 65-70mph. Disappears over 75ish. Drives perfect upto this speed.
Had ballancing cheked by independent but was all fine and exactly the same after.

Took back to main dealers... they balanced (again!) Went for test drive with fitter and he saw only on smooth roads vibration was still there 65-70mph. Not bad, but annoying when all my mileage is motorway. They checked discs (fine with no run out) fitted more new tyres, then mechanic did 3 test drives tweaking tracking. This all took place over 3 days and said it had 95% fixed problem. Pick car up.... is exactly the same to drive!!

Dealer says next step is new rims, possibly play in something.

I am concerned car was fine before new tyres and tracking and I haven't put it down a pothole or gone over anything that would cause rim damage.

Dealer is long standing with me and generally very good, also hasn't charged for any of this messing around.

I am thinking damaged out of shape rim that wasn't obvious before?
Or do tyres need running in...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Are you feeling the vibration through the steering wheel or through your bum on the seat?

Purchased 2018 s350d in May 2021 from main dealer with extended warranty. Had done 35k miles and like new, 1 elderly owner.
Drove perfect first 5000 miles, upto New tyres (conti5 sport) and tracking. Main dealer fitter new front tyres and tracked.
Since, car has annoying vibration at 65-70mph. Disappears over 75ish. Drives perfect upto this speed.
Had ballancing cheked by independent but was all fine and exactly the same after.

Took back to main dealers... they balanced (again!) Went for test drive with fitter and he saw only on smooth roads vibration was still there 65-70mph. Not bad, but annoying when all my mileage is motorway. They checked discs (fine with no run out) fitted more new tyres, then mechanic did 3 test drives tweaking tracking. This all took place over 3 days and said it had 95% fixed problem. Pick car up.... is exactly the same to drive!!

Dealer says next step is new rims, possibly play in something.

I am concerned car was fine before new tyres and tracking and I haven't put it down a pothole or gone over anything that would cause rim damage.

Dealer is long standing with me and generally very good, also hasn't charged for any of this messing around.

I am thinking damaged out of shape rim that wasn't obvious before?
Or do tyres need running in...

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Hi , get the dealer to turn the tyre through 180 deg on the rim and rebalance.

What will this do? Is that incase the rim is out, or just to balance better?
Hi , I had an issue with new tyres on a RS 1800 I owned an the tyre balance was terrible.

The dealer was prepared to change the tyres but the (Dunlop SP68) but the rep came to look at the problem.

He asked the tyre dealer to do what I suggested and problem went away and never came back.

I've experienced similar with new tyres. Back and forth to the garage to rectify and still the same issue (not just at 60mph.)
Turned out, the tyre was made on a Friday afternoon and just would not balance (only 1 of the two fitted).
Supplier agreed to change and - perfect. These things do happen.

Generally, 60mph is bad balancing, anything above and below that magic number confirms this.
Could just be a bad tyre.
As already advised above, 180 degree rotation may solve.

Annoying for you nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom