Vibration from steering wheel at motorway speeds ~ SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LRF

Car
SLK
Hi there. I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice please? Have recently bought an SLK 250d (65 plate). Noticed some vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds so took to Kwik Fit who balanced the wheels and they noticed that the front right wheel was buckled. I took it to a repair shop who have sorted out that wheel, rebalanced it and checked out the other wheels for ‘roundness’ and they were all ok - So I can be reasonably sure that they’re all balanced and the wheels are ‘round‘. But the vibration through the steering wheel is still there at motorway speeds. It feels exactly like a wheel needs balancing but I know they have been done. So I am all out of ideas... are there any other things I should check? I am fairly sure it’s coming from the front wheels rather than the back because it’s coming through the steering wheel and you can’t feel it through the seat.

When I had a new set of tyres fitted last year I experienced the same issue on my drive home. I went straight back to where I had them done and got them to check the balancing. One of the front wheels was out of balance - the fitter had made a mistake! No vibration at all after they’d balanced the wheels correctly.

If they can make a mistake with balancing, it’s also possible they could make a mistake tightening the wheel nuts. It’s easy to check them for yourself.

When I had a new set of tyres fitted last year I experienced the same issue on my drive home. I went straight back to where I had them done and got them to check the balancing. One of the front wheels was out of balance - the fitter had made a mistake! No vibration at all after they’d balanced the wheels correctly.

If they can make a mistake with balancing, it’s also possible they could make a mistake tightening the wheel nuts. It’s easy to check them for yourself.
Thanks - do you think the wheel nuts might be an issue?

Most definitely wheel/tyre related. Probably as already suggested to get another rebalance done. also check the tyre condition to ensure no bumps are present. I have this when my wheels were buckled.

Thanks - do you think the wheel nuts might be an issue?
It’s a possibility and well worth checking them.

Thanks everyone i will check the nuts and get them to check the balancing!!

Possibly warped brake discs although that would be a very small vibration.

Does the vibration stay above 60mph or only at certain speeds?

Get it re balanced LRF as ive had this before & a second balance sorted the problem out. Also had the weight fall off the rim once about 10 mins down the road lol. Did you watch the rim while revolving on the balancer?? See if the wheel is ok for yourself! Once the cover comes down over the wheel the kids in places never look what the wheel rim is doing they just go by numbers on the screen!

Have you checked the front wheel bearings for any play?

I guess it's got a staggered set up so you can't swap fronts and back. I would put a spare rim on the one that was buckled to see how it drives to completely rule that tyre and rim out.

I'm also having this problem, at speeds above 65 mph (ish) so had the front wheels balanced, still shaking, but was told the tyres were not quite round, (Nankang) so got new front tyres (RX motion) and a rebalance, still shaking, so I've just put my original Merc front wheels back on, with Uniroyal tyres to see if the shake is still there.
Report, when I've been for a good drive.
20210612_120442.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom