Vibration / rear end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mickkibble

Car
Merc c220
Hello. Iv got a 2008 diesel C220 auto and iv noticed a bit of a surging feeling as I accelerate but now it’s turned into heavy vibration/thudding through the rear end at speed. Iv changed the rear flex disk and dif oil today and it has gone off a little bit but if I accelerate at 60 and above the rear of the car feels like it’s going to fall off it’s horrible. I’m at a loss has anyone came across this. Thank you.

Hello. Iv got a 2008 diesel C220 auto and iv noticed a bit of a surging feeling as I accelerate but now it’s turned into heavy vibration/thudding through the rear end at speed. Iv changed the rear flex disk and dif oil today and it has gone off a little bit but if I accelerate at 60 and above the rear of the car feels like it’s going to fall off it’s horrible. I’m at a loss has anyone came across this. Thank you.
Was there any metal swarf in oil when you drained the diff? Also check diff mounts and condition of drives haft. Also i strongly suggest check rear subframe for any heavy corrosion and breakage

Propshaft central bearing mounting gone ? Rear subframe suspension mounting brackets corrosion failure is also a good call

How solid should the prop shaft bearing be? I can move it about slightly as in on its rubber but no excess play as in sloppy movement. Ps thanks for the reply’s I’m sort of hitting a brick wall here as I’m trying not to just toss money at it trying possibility’s.

Also check for a out of shape tyre and also check the wheel bolts. Pop along to your local tyre center and get them to balance the rear wheels incase your wheel is bent from a pothole because Merc wheels bend really easy. Start with the simple stuff first and go from there..........

Hi Mick .This a W204 C class. Have you checked the rear subframe for cracks ? A quick search on here or Google will show you what to look for . Probably not the answer but best check just in case.

Also check for a out of shape tyre and also check the wheel bolts. Pop along to your local tyre center and get them to balance the rear wheels incase your wheel is bent from a pothole because Merc wheels bend really easy. Start with the simple stuff first and go from there..........
I’m a mobile tyre fitter mate. I checked the balancing first. Thanks.

Just a little update
iv had prop off and balanced, mew flex discs, and still the same. My next go to is the diff bushes, I will update the outcome when I can be bothered to check them. Cheers.

Check your subframe. Also run it up on a lift with the ESP completely off. The vibration should be obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom