Vibration through steering wheel above 60mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

I have just had my R129 SL500 serviced, including the fitment of a new steering damper, new anti roll bar and bushes and steering idler.

Before the car went it, I also had a vibration through the steering wheel at 60mph + and I thought that these replacement parts might help, but it's still there, maybe a bit less.

Do you think the vibration is the wheel balance? Tracking? These weren't checked in the service.

I'm also wondering whether the tyres have flat spots, as it's been standing still for the last 7 months, as I've been out of the country.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Ive had a similar issue with my 211, Alignment has been checked, ive just replaced the wheels as 3 of these were out of shape and ive got a slight vib at 50-53mph. Im thinking it could be a warped brake disc as i did have to brake heavy not so long ago. its only very very slight but just puzzels me lol

Wheel balance, maybe lost a weight but its the clasic speed for a wheel balance issue...

You can bake the out of roundness out by arranging for them to be installed in a car painter's oven during a bake - at normal pressure still on the rim.

Or, it is possible to drive the OOR out by going pretty fast with close to the max permitted pressure in the tyre - but it may be illegal depending on where you live.

For the best balance after this try a road force balancing machine or a balancing machine that goes right down to 1 gram many only g down to 5 grams, you are at a disadvantage right away on those.

For future long standing events increase pressure to the max permitted, should help prevent the flat spots.

Last edited:
Hi,

Ive had various balancing issues on previous (non Mercedes) cars. Here's the advice I was given in order of cheapest to most expensive options:

1. Can you swap wheels front to rear and see if it disappears......I'm not familiar with the SL so not sure if rear wheels wider than fronts? If it disappears in the steering then you'll know it's likely to be a front wheel issue rather than anything more serious.

2. Get front wheels balanced and ask whoever does it to check for wheel buckling or anything irregular on tyres such as flatspots etc.....7 months is quite a while for car to be left standing if tyres are soft I guess so maybe slightly out of shape. Worth getting rears done at same time.

3. Go for a decent 4 wheel alignment......Hunter 4 wheel alignment or something similar.

4. If none of that works then as previously mentioned get things like brake discs checked for warping.

Hope this helps

Colin

Just had the same problem with the girlfriends nissan largo all new tyres fitted not a single one had been balanced correctly according to our normal garage. All sorted now drives lovely.

I went to one garage to have wheels balanced & at 60-70 there was vibration thro the rear of the car I went back another two times. they kept saying "there balanced up spot on" I wasn't convinced went else where they said "jesus these are so out" done them & no vibrations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom