Vibrations steering wheel and car body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebenize

Car
S320
Hello!

I just bought a Mercedes S320cdi 2007 and I am feeling these vibrations in the steering wheel and in the seats as well ...pretty much everything is shaking so it is no longer a pleasure to drive it. The vibrations start when cruising from 68 mph and they are intermittent like 3-4 seconds it is vibrating then 3-4 seconds stops and so on. Any ideas what might cause them? I know that it could be the bushes, the drive shaft and even the gearbox torque converter... I have started with rebalancing the all 4 wheels but still same vibrations but who knows if they balanced the wheels properly... any good garages that you can recommend near Leamington spa?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My car was vibrating like mad on braking at arround 60 mph, got the pads and discs replaced - all sorted now :)

the thing is that if I am going to brake when it is vibrating then it vibrates more, if I am going to brake when it does not vibrate then I do not get any vibrations... soo weird. I am thinking that some joints, bushes might be the problem. I have tried changing the gears while vibrating but no matter what gear or rpm, the vibrations are depending on the car’s speed only

You probably know this. Around the 60MPH vibrations are visible with wheel(s) out of ballance.

Sounds like you need get the car up on ramps and have a good hoik about with a pry bar.

Prop Shaft Donuts. They split and perish.
Suspension arms and all bushings. Look for excessive movement.
Brake Discs Warped.
Wheels Balancing.
Tyre Distortion (often missed) look for any eggs or distortion.
Shock Mountings and Bushings - Check the top mounts for tightness.

Yes Tyres. I bought a low millage car actually the car before this one. Had been sitting for a long time and I guess the tyres were flat bottomed giving a vibration. A new set of tyres sorted this.

Hello!

I just bought a Mercedes S320cdi 2007 and I am feeling these vibrations in the steering wheel and in the seats as well ...pretty much everything is shaking so it is no longer a pleasure to drive it. The vibrations start when cruising from 68 mph and they are intermittent like 3-4 seconds it is vibrating then 3-4 seconds stops and so on. Any ideas what might cause them? I know that it could be the bushes, the drive shaft and even the gearbox torque converter... I have started with rebalancing the all 4 wheels but still same vibrations but who knows if they balanced the wheels properly... any good garages that you can recommend near Leamington spa?

Thanks!

Does it do this when your cruising or only when you start to call for some acceleration especially gentle acceleration?

Well I would get a garage to put a clock on the discs you may well have one or even both,running out,and so you get a slight vibration when running and it gets a whole lot worse when you brake,the only other thing I can think of is a wheel bearing but you normally hear that,but the garage can check that at the same time.

Saturday I will go to the garage. Hard to find a good one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a buckled/dented/flat spotted wheel.
Jack up and spin wheel, see if you can see it.

Feel back of tyre for any bulges.

Tyre place that balanced would have suyrely seen a flat or dent but be warned not all tyre places are on the ball and some operators dont even balance wheels properly.

The above posts are very wise. It usually is balancing or damage but can be several things as mentioned above. even been told wrong wheel bolts can do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom