Video games nowadays!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
So today I got the last of mini-me's presents

Xbox one S with Gears of War 4, new Call of Duty, Lego Dimensions, Titanfall 2 and Grand Theft Auto 5. All are discs however Gears of War 4 is a digital download

I own one myself, and know they take forever to install so I started everything this afternoon at 1pm

It's now the silly side of midnight and still have another hour or so of installing!

Rough sizes of the games-

GOW4 - 64GB!! (I think this includes GOW 1-3 as well, I'll check when it's finished)
Lego Dimensions - 16GB
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 46GB
Titanfall 2 - 46GB

His console is the 1TB model and he now has 515GB left, the 1TB option is the one to go for but you can use any bog standard external hard drive via USB to create more space, needs to be USB 3.0 though

I mentioned similar about install times last Xmas, after which quite a few members pm'd saying thanks, so I'll note it again if anyone has purchased a console (even a PS4 it's the same) to save tears on Christmas Day because they don't get to play any games

1st thing is to turn it all on, connect to the Internet (wired is faster than wireless) and update the console if need be, connect controllers and update them

Disconnect the console (go offline) from the Internet, and insert each disc separately and install them all one by one

After all discs have been installed, connect to the Internet again and you'll then notice each game has an update which the console should then start installing separately, this can take as long as the disc installs

If you've purchased digital downloads only, then unfortunately it will take forever. Only way to speed this up is to not play any games, leave it online (set to auto update in the background) and put the console to sleep

If you keep the internet connected the entire time, updates will install first before the disc data so it's faster doing it offline, at least then halfway through a hard install you can play a part of the game while it installs

In the console box (Xbox) you should get a free 14 day trial code for Xbox live gold. Keep this to the side as Microsoft are doing a months Xbox live gold for £1, just make sure before the end of the month is up that you cancel the direct debit/subscription. When that happens, redeem the free 14 day trial. After that, don't go to Game or Microsoft for a years subscription it's a rip off, go to CDkeys or similar websites and get them half price. This is only needed if you're to be playing the games online though

To save money if you have two consoles, then gameshare. You and a mate/child both sign into each other's consoles, then sign back out again and then anything any of you purchase digitally will download on both consoles. DLC's, games, season passes, unlocks, everything. Half price gaming!

Hope this helps, if you've bought your kids the console and haven't installed anything yet, I'd suggest unwrapping it now and do the installs :)

Wow ... and to think that the games on my Spectrum were EXCELLENT, yet did it all with 48kB ;)

Thanks for the tip. I guess Ill be doing something today ;)

Just don't get Halo 5 if you don't like downloading!! It's 96GB! I upgraded to the elite console with the controller. Got it for £200 and sold my Xbox 500GB for £160! [emoji1] I have 2mb internet so downloading stuff is out of the question. Installed the games and took it to my mates house who has 200mb internet. 2 hours later, gears 4, Halo 5 and overwatch downloads were all done!! About 160gb in total I think!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup the size / time of downloads is crazy, even our old PS3 seems to install loads onto the hard drive now. Luckily it's dead cheap & easy to fit a bigger one.

Had this palaver last year with the XBox, they say all new technology is great, but back in my day you plugged the game into the Master System and off you went!

Had this palaver last year with the XBox, they say all new technology is great, but back in my day you plugged the game into the Master System and off you went!

Its all about establishing and maintaining the "Revenue stream"

God I hate that phrase, but not as much as I hate being regarded as an open wallet for every company under the sun. :mad::mad:

Can I just say, the difference between the Xbox one and the Xbox one S is outstanding, I am extremely jealous of the little bugger!

Smaller, no power brick, faster and smoother. Plugged it into the spare hdmi on my 4K tv and compared titanfall 2 side by side with my Xbox one and the difference is crazy

I used my old Samsung hd tv to install everything on his, and even the visuals of Gears of War 4 on that made me rather envious. In two minds to wrap mine up and swap them, wonder if a six year old would notice? :devil: :D

I like my Xbox One S, my wife likes it as well since I consolidated several device; Wii U (two power bricks!!), Amazon TV (power brick,ethernet cable), Oppo Blu Ray (ethernet, power brick). So lots of cables gone :) I was a hero.

And a quick reprogram of the Harmony remote and all remains the same to use.

In two minds to wrap mine up and swap them, wonder if a six year old would notice? :devil: :D

You bet he would Ash.

When our daughter was 6 there wasn't a game she could beat me on. She's 11 now and the roles have been reversed. :crazy: but for some reason I love that fact.

Happytalk73 said:
You bet he would Ash. When our daughter was 6 there wasn't a game she could beat me on. She's 11 now and the roles have been reversed. :crazy: but for some reason I love that fact.

I asked him if he wanted to swap and the answer was blunt :D

Sat with him now playing on it, he hasn't give anything else a look since unwrapping it last night!

What are you guys doing letting your children play 18+ games?:fail

lewyboy said:
Because children need boundaries?

Which is down to parenting

I'm 110% confident my child isn't going to copy anything he sees or hears on a video game

martyz said:
go have a word with your child's teacher,the problem is rife,with copy cat behaviour..GTA5 for a 6yr old? seriously wrong.

Haha, I know my son. You don't. He does work from a syllabus for older children than him, quite advanced. He knows rights and wrongs, and is surprisingly grown up for his age

He's a far cry from the little ***** you see whining and crying in McDonald's or rolling around the floor in Tesco

My daughter on the other hand? Nope. All kids are different, can't molly cuddle them all

What are you guys doing letting your children play 18+ games?:fail

Agreed, but I never once mentioned 18+ games. Wii party, Minecraft, football & F1 and the likes in our household.

Also playing connect4, monopoly, scrabble, Articulate & trivial pursuit many time in the last two weeks. Back to basic games are great too. Our daughter has been engrossed in some new Lego sets yesterday and today.

Ant. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
NO you can't mollycoddle them.but you can set them on the right path.Please also be

aware that if your childs headteacher discovers that he is allowed to play 18+ games

you may get a visit from childrens social services,as it is deemed bad parenting.Please

rethink,Minecraft is more like it,a constructive game without extreme violence and bad

language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom