(VIDEO) Weird Engine Noise, Please Help - CL 500 - w215

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigBodyBenzAMG

Car
Mercedes CL 500
Hello,

I have recently started to notice a weird engine noise on my CL 500 (w215) from 2000. It sounds like that when I start it up and don't rev it, when I drive it I don't really notice any weird sound like that.

Could somebody please tell me how to fix this issue?

VIDEO LINK: iOS Video - Sendvid

Thanks

Last edited:
How many kilometers on the car and how has the service schedule being???

If 600 000 kms then definitely big end bearings:wallbash:

Please give more info.

Could be engine mounts, worn idlers, alternator, tension pulley, aircon unit, and if engine oil never changed - timing chain rattle, and if coolant never changed - the water pump bearings. An endless list.

That was me in the thread which Lyserman linked in. My noise was nothing like this - far more subtle and only under load but no issue on tickover. The OP's issue is opposite - his is only on tickover and nothing when revved. I'd expect mounts to become more of an issue when under load and at the very least when revved. I'd expect to usually see the engine slightly rocking.

Could it be the front end...remove the serpentine belt and see if there is a difference.

How many kilometers on the car and how has the service schedule being???

If 600 000 kms then definitely big end bearings:wallbash:

Please give more info.

Could be engine mounts, worn idlers, alternator, tension pulley, aircon unit, and if engine oil never changed - timing chain rattle, and if coolant never changed - the water pump bearings. An endless list.

Thanks for your reply.

It's only gone 17 000 kms, and it's been pretty well serviced from what I know, recently changed the engine oil. Some guy said it was the ABC pump or something but I dunno.

If I remember it right it started to sound like this more and more, at first it was just when it got hot and I had driven it for a while, and not when it were cold, now it just sounds like that pretty much all the time, when I apply a little bit of throttle to get the revs up it goes away.

I had an intermittent rattle that sounded like it was coming from the top end of the engine and turned out to be a belt tensioner and pulley. Yours sounds more rhythmic and regular so could be the ABC pump. Perhaps get one of these to have a closer listen.

OP if you are not DIY inclined then I would suggest taking it to an independent Merc workshop for an evaluation before there is any lasting damage.

And yes removing the serpentine belt would eliminate engine problems if the sound disappears (do not run engine longer than 4 minutes or so or you will overheat it).

Hello,

I have recently started to notice a weird engine noise on my CL 500 (w215) from 2000. It sounds like that when I start it up and don't rev it, when I drive it I don't really notice any weird sound like that.

Could somebody please tell me how to fix this issue?

VIDEO LINK: iOS Video - Sendvid

Thanks
What was the problem . I have the same problem when the engine is hot , low rpm only

Poster hasn’t been seen for 6 years….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom