Viewed a nice W211 Facelift - not bad apart from being flooded with oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi,

I viewed this car which I liked:

Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.0CDI E320 CDI Avantgarde 4dr 7G-Tronic

Not without problems though of which the most serious is oily dust deposits all over the front part of the engine. Even the V-belt is in oil. The oily residue is oil and dust rather than just fresh oil so difficult to assess how long it took to get into such a state - potentially a minor leak that contaminated all around with oil. The car has a reasonable service history though comments to the most recent service saying that all four tyres are badly deformed are not encouraging either - the tyres has since been replaced but nevertheless...

Are their well known problems with W211 that lead to such oil leaks and are they easy to fix?

Perhaps the car is fitted with the experimental "oil-tronic" system?

Apparently it was intended to address bodywork corrosion issues…

Surprising that the dealer has not had the engine bay steam cleaned to hide this issue.

Perhaps the car is fitted with the experimental "oil-tronic" system?

Apparently it was intended to address bodywork corrosion issues…

Surprising that the dealer has not had the engine bay steam cleaned to hide this issue.

Does "oil-tronic" system deliberately sprays oil around to address corrosion issues? I thought corrosion issues were resolved well before the 2006 facelift?

I suppose that if there is still a leak (or multiple leaks) than cleaning the engine would make matters worse as buyers would be able to see just fresh oil in a cleaned engine - so it would be apparent that it is not built up over the last 8 years but an ongoing problem with oil leaking at quite a significant rate.

I think "oil-tronic" has a mind of it's own and does what it likes to depending on if its on time of the month!

I'd be very wary of any oil lose in the engine bay. My 2003 270 CDI is completely clean and dry under the hood. Any oil and I'd worry that a seal had gone. Not good news!

I'd be more upset about a beige steering wheel...

But seriously, no oil in my engine bay, and there shouldn't be on this one - there are better cars out there I'm sure

Hi,

I viewed this car which I liked:

Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.0CDI E320 CDI Avantgarde 4dr 7G-Tronic

Not without problems though of which the most serious is oily dust deposits all over the front part of the engine. Even the V-belt is in oil. The oily residue is oil and dust rather than just fresh oil so difficult to assess how long it took to get into such a state - potentially a minor leak that contaminated all around with oil. The car has a reasonable service history though comments to the most recent service saying that all four tyres are badly deformed are not encouraging either - the tyres has since been replaced but nevertheless...

Are their well known problems with W211 that lead to such oil leaks and are they easy to fix?

Why not mention it to the seller/dealer ?

Get him to sort it maybe........

Why not mention it to the seller/dealer ?

Get him to sort it maybe........

Well I did point out. He said they MOT and service cars once they are sold. If something has to be done he said it will be done as he says labour is on a wage so he incremental cost of labour for him is close to zero. He did not actually promise to clean the engine of oil fix oil leaks and check that hey have been fixed... Vague promises, they will do whatever work they consider needs doing but only once I bought the car - I dd rather they repaired the car before putting it on sale.

Actually, another car I "virtually" looked at has an oil leak (MOT advisory). Number 1 in the link below.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/spot...20cdi-came-across-these-interesting-cars.html

Check if it's not a "belt conditioner" product that's been used. I had a squeeling belt on a Range Rover once and unloaded a dose of the canned spray on it. It didn't stop the noise and the belt sprayed the product over the whole front of the engine making a nasty, black, sticky mess! Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom