Viewed my first r129 500 today Tempted but nervous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure this is the best place to post, not used forums before, but I’ve got a 1998 320sl silver with black leather, kids are getting too big for back seats so I’m going to trade in. The garage don’t care what roof it comes with, I’ve got the panoramic glass roof, wondered if anyone was interested in upgrading their metal one? I’m in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Not sure this is the best place to post, not used forums before, but I’ve got a 1998 320sl silver with black leather, kids are getting too big for back seats so I’m going to trade in. The garage don’t care what roof it comes with, I’ve got the panoramic glass roof, wondered if anyone was interested in upgrading their metal one? I’m in Newcastle upon Tyne.

What kind of price are you looking for?

If you intend to use the car as a nice weather/weekend car rather than a daily driver I wouldn't get too hung up on the panoramic top as it will quite likely just end up gathering dust in your garage :) . I haven't had the hardtop on my car for 10+ years as it only gets driven in good weather now. The standard aluminium hardtop requires 2 people plus some time/care to put on & off (unless you buy a dedicated hoist), and the panoramic top is somewhat heavier.

As an aside ... the panoramic top is nice when you're driving, but IMHO the curved shape doesn't suit the angular lines of the car as well. I think the standard top looks better ... like a baby SEC :D An old pic. of mine, before it had the AMG wheels:

View attachment 86887
I found that the engine crane I bought to do the engine swap in my 190 was just the thing !

I attached a length of Unistrut to the top of the jib using a couple of ratchet straps to extend the reach ( the hard top is a lot less heavy than an engine so the reach can be extended without losing stability ) , unlatched my hardtop , then with a couple more ratchet straps passed around and under the hardtop , and a thick blanket placed over my bootlid plus a cushion on top of the hardtop , I carefully hoisted the top just clear of the car , made sure it was hanging safely , and carefully drove the car out from under it . I was then able to lower the top onto my patio table and lift it away . One person can carry the standard top without too much difficulty .

If you are brave , I've only done this once , you can put both seats as far forward as possible , unlatch the top and get into the car , then get hold of the top by both of the grab handles and lift it off on your back - when I did that I placed an old rug over the back end of the car but I was able to lift it clear without any damage - there are videos on youtube showing people doing this .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom