Views on a suggestion regarding road tax.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Having just returned from the continent I have been thinking how unfair it is that in the UK we get no monies from foreign motorists whereas when we go abroad we have to pay road tolls and vignettes etc.

Also we have foreign trucks coming into the UK which are filled with cheaper diesel in France and carry enough to do all their journeys in UK whilst NOT contributing to the upkeep of the UK roads.

My suggestion would be along the following lines.

1. Reduce all car roadfund licences by £50
2. If you wish to use UK M roads then you have to display a vignette which would run from Jan 1st to Dec 31st at a cost of £60. The extra £10 would cover the admin costs. All foreign cars would need to have one too.
3. Failure to display such vignette would subject the motorist to an instant £100 fine.
4. All cars coming into the UK would go through ANPR cameras upon entry and upon leaving too. Any outstanding fines (vignette, speeding, parking) would have to be paid before allowing to board the ship. Credit Cards accepted. Failure to pay would entail confiscation of car until monies are forthcoming.
5. Same for Trucks - but reduce their RFL by £200 and issue a vignette for £225 to use M roads. Failure to display would be liable to a fine of up to £1000.

Just some thoughts....... now sits back and awaits to be shown the errors of my ways..:D

To be honest as a business owner I don't want it to become any harder for European tourists to visit the UK, with the fall of the pound vs the Euro we saw a lot more European customers this year and last.

A vignette is a good idea, but £15 for maybe 3 or even 6 months for cars is plenty, then £50 for lorries every 6 months would be better.

Oh, and I found that once I had paid the exchange rate diesel was about the same price in France last week, and in the Netherlands, and petrol was a hell of a lot more, €1.55 a litre in some garages.

I'm not sure that £10 would cover the administration costs of what is essentially a second tax disc for all motorway users. Enforcement costs would be considerable and the DVLA aren't exactly the most efficient and cost-effective organisation in the world.

1. Reduce all car roadfund licences by £50

Would I receive £20 for each of my two cars :) (currenly £30 tax)

But on the whole I broadly agree with your new system.

Well at a minimum I think point 4 should be implemented..

I agree with Crockers - we (The Brits) have to pay on the spot contributions to an improved standard of living for foreign policeman (oops sorry I meant to type "fines"), so I don't see why Mr J Foreigner should get away with it here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom