Views on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Will soon be changing all four boots as they have naturally reached end of life at the same time.

I don't really drive round like a bat out of hell any more - quite the opposite in fact.

Now just looking at quiet, good grip in dry and wet and doesn't require a mortgage to buy.

I've been happy with the 2s and 3s so I will take a punt anyway but just wondering if anyone has any experience of these so far - I think they are quite new.

Not fussed about alloy protection per se but if it's there then fine.

A friend of mine has them on his VW - swears by them and he does 15K a year all year round - he's a postie so is in all weathers / temps.

Reviews on the AS5's are good and I note AS5's are now slightly cheaper than the much lauded AS3's.

Have had Assy2's on the S204 for a while now, really like them for quiet, comfortable ride and decent grip, but had a catastrophis OS rear inner sidewall failure a year ago at close to 20k miles and replaced both rears (3mm tread remaining!) with the same, a few months ago had a front NS outer sidewall failure, tyre deflated over about 1 hour, so had to replace both fronts. Went for Michelin Crossclimates to avoid having to use my set of winter rims, happy with them and will use (provided I can get the size) when the rears wear out. Got good prices on the Michelins from both ATS and Kwikfit (not my usual suppliers, but needed tyres right now!) and bought from Kwikfit as they had them in stock, plus got a free dashcam from Michelin by buying there!

I've had them on my MX-5 for about a month and they are better than the Bridgestone Potenza they replaced. Definitely better grip in the wet.

I’m a great fan of GYs. At one point 4 cars out of 5 outside were wearing them.

After reading many reviews and talking to friends, I’ve recently fitted 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 to the E350. I have to say, they’re absolutely amazing. The car rolls down the road totally differently. Yes more expensive but, I’ll not go back to GY for the other cars now. The AMG always wears Michelin but I’m going to put them on all of the rest now too.
People say Michelin performance is a myth but, having tried quite a few tyres , they are brilliant.

I’m a great fan of GYs. At one point 4 cars out of 5 outside were wearing them.

After reading many reviews and talking to friends, I’ve recently fitted 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 to the E350. I have to say, they’re absolutely amazing. The car rolls down the road totally differently. Yes more expensive but, I’ll not go back to GY for the other cars now. The AMG always wears Michelin but I’m going to put them on all of the rest now too.
People say Michelin performance is a myth but, having tried quite a few tyres , they are brilliant.

I've had them on my MX-5 for about a month and they are better than the Bridgestone Potenza they replaced. Definitely better grip in the wet.
Bridgestone Potenza's are one of the most overated tyres you can buy, they must be 10 years behind the best you can buy right now, especially in the wet.

We've got Turanzas on the Joke and they have been rather good.

Not sure I've ever tried Bridgeys on my cars before.

I will give the 5s a go as above and report back in due course if I remember.

It won't really matter what I buy within reason but I'd rather stick with premium as my car does the bulk of long journeys and it's big and heavy.

We've got Turanzas on the Joke and they have been rather good.

Not sure I've ever tried Bridgeys on my cars before.

I will give the 5s a go as above and report back in due course if I remember.

It won't really matter what I buy within reason but I'd rather stick with premium as my car does the bulk of long journeys and it's big and heavy.
You won’t be shortchanged with the GYs. They’re excellent

I've got the Goodyear Assymetric 5s on my E220 and very happy with them - I've been a big fan of the older F1 Assymetrics on previous cars and have been through many sets now. In fact the only one of my recent cars which hasn't had Goodyears was the XC90 as that came with ContiEcoContacts and I rotated those with ContiWinterContacts as needed and that combination lasted the two years I had the car (in fact they still had plenty of life when I sold it two years on!)

I'm usually wary of the Eco tyres as I had a hire car with Michelin Eco tyres once that was a death trap when it was cold with zero grip and then when I tried some Pirelli Centurato Blues once a pothole impact shattered an entire rim in two.

I've been through lots of standing water on the new Goodyears and done a few thousand miles with no issues to report - I've had the car twitch slightly once when I went through the worst aquaplaning I can ever remember on the M1 in the recent bad weather but I was happy with that seeing as there were two cars in the embankment who didn't fare so well.

To be honest so far they've had more grip than my E220 can put down.

I've just bought a set of winter wheels with Michelin winters so will be swapping when the temps come down below 8 to see how they fare but we live up in the moors and so far the Goodyears have been superb in the wet and dry.

I put 4 on my c220d and they are excellent...good grip...good wear rate....and quiet...I would recommend them....decent price too

Pleased I found this thread, my Dad was looking at these for his C Class, we both have the same car and the Continentals don't appear to last long in our experience. I might even switch to these on mine when it is time to replace again.

I can't get 5s for the rear as not available in the size required.

So I will go for 5s at the front and 2s or 3s at the rear.

My rears have more tread on them than I first thought (about 3.8mm) and are in good condition so I'll leave them for now.

They're a bit more money, but as above, I would stick with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's.
Better than the Supersport, and tbh as an all rounder in UK weather I wouldn't put anything else on my C63.
I had Pirelli P Zeros on my old RS3 and they were shocking - switched to Michelin and it transformed the handling of the car - all but eliminated understeer and stopped the rear stepping out.
Superb tyres and very good in the wet too, and the wear rate is significantly better than the OEM Continentals.

Heard very good reports on the GY 5's. Had Michelin SSP on the rear which lasted 16,299 miles, was going to try GY but they don't do 275/35/20's, so put Michelin 4s on to match the front.

Last edited:
I will need to replace my tyres soon. Currently fitted with the factory tyres, Bridgestone Potenza R050, which have done 20,000. As a result of good feedback on here and a tyre review on AutoBild, I will replace with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

I had them on my e320 sport. Awesome tyre really enjoyed them in the wet, great grip and wear well.

I had them on my e320 sport. Awesome tyre really enjoyed them in the wet, great grip and wear well.

Had Goodyear A5 's?

I thought they had only just been released? Mind you things take a while to filter down to Wiltshire!

I can't get 5s for the rear as not available in the size required.

So I will go for 5s at the front and 2s or 3s at the rear.

My rears have more tread on them than I first thought (about 3.8mm) and are in good condition so I'll leave them for now.
The 2’s will be old stock, so be careful if you buy these. They stopped making them in 2016 but some tyre companies are still selling them as “new”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom