Views on this potential purchase please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr pies

Car
Audi A4
An E class diesel Mercedes has been on my hit list for years. Every time I get picked up in a taxi and it's a 280 or 320 I'm in heaven.

Anyway, the time is right for me to buy one for my own. What is every ones view on this one? Hopefully going to look at it Friday afternoon.

Any tips for important things to check? Are there an impending bills of £1000's or are they quite reliable?

2005 55 MERCEDES E280 3.0 CDI SPORT SALOON *HIGH SPEC* *FULL MERCEDES HISTORY* | eBay

Thanks in advance.

Are you aware of the potential problems with the SBC (Sensotronic Brake Control) Brake by wire, fitted to these cars? I think the MY affected were 2003 - 2006.

Use the club search option and look for SBC failure.

Potential £1000 - £1500 for replacement pump if it fails. Mercedes UK no longer replace them FOC, or even make a gesture of goodwill payment towards the costs. Some can be regenerated/reset to up the number of braking operations using the MB STAR diagnostic equipment. Check the Service History for any SBC work.

That said, there are many owners here who are more than happy with their cars.

It looks like a nice honest car, so good luck with the viewing.

P.S. I live in Stourbridge and I'm not familiar with hi-line autos, what address do you have for them?

Last edited:
I thought that if it is a 280 then it would be an early facelift and does not have SBC?

Evidence of full servicing and a gearbox fluid change would be high on my list but the price could always be negotiated down to reflect this.

I don't see a brake servo in the underbonnet view, so it looks as though it has SBC.

It could be with updated electrics in pre-facelifted chassis and without SBC. It has fine mesh grill in center console so could be with electrics updates.

I don't know DSM, but that would be good if it's correct. :thumb:

This is what to look for under the bonnet to establish if it has SBC. Drivers side towards the front... I think.

Last edited:
That is a pre-facelift car so I would have though it will have SBC brakes...

Yes, SBC. It's the same model and age as the estate I had for a few years. At least it will be fully galvanised at that date!

Ah! So they were fitting the newer engine to pre--facelift models!, that makes sense :)

Mercedes Benz: Never knowingly straightforward :)

Buy a 56 plate onwards E-Class, on paper it'll be less hassle.

Thanks chaps. I did not know about that brake module problem, but this is why I joined this excellent forum!

So really I want to be looking at 07-09 cars then?

How reliable are the auto boxes in the 280/320 models?

As regards to that seller on eBay, I've been watching what he has for sale for the last few weeks.
I'm probably being overly suspicious, but he always seems to have cars that only have full dealership service histories. Even obscure models, god knows where he finds them, does seem to have some nice cars though.

Oh and also, can anyone recommend a good reliable indy in Birmingham that won't rip me off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom