Vileroy Boch vs B&Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Guys, just thinking out loud again.

We have a nice cloakroom suite from B&Q (Cooke and Lewis). It looks good but isn't 100% perfect.

For the bathroom we have ordered a steel Bette bath for longevity.

Now, for the toilet SWMBO has fallen for Vileroy and Boch basin, toilet and vanity unit - great fit and finish.

Question is, why is it so darn expensive compared to 'standard' stuff.

Is it just the name or is it generally better ?

It works out roughly four time expensive than a (identical in appearance) Cook and Lewis.

Thanks again

Chris

I don't know where the B&Q stuff is made but along with Villeroy and Boch most probably in the Far East, Turkey, Egypt, China.
As far as quality goes I would imagine there will be less imperfections in the glaze but other than that not much, so essentially you're paying for the name. The brassware is far more important, quality product made in the UK from people like Pegler is always worth paying more for.

Because it can be is the answer. Good products, well made and better engineered than your B&Q stuff. They are clearly well marketed and that costs a lot to appear in the right publications around the globe. The cost of producing them will probably not be much more than than cheaper stuff from Asia as German companies tend to continuously reinvest in technology and training to stay competitive (GB politicians are you listening?) however their indirect costs will be considerably higher and that's what you are helping to pay for.

Some payment for design and brand, but some payment for quality. Another upscale brand is Kohler - have seen these being made (and if you want the V&B to seem like good value show her the Kohler Numi toilet ;))- no seconds are allowed to leave the factory, good quality glaze applied where it makes a difference, not just where it can be seen, so pits or pinpricks in the glaze etc....

Of course if you ever sell, your estate agent can say "Villeroy and Boch" suite, rather than "Cooke and Lewis" suite. That is probably worth another £50 on the value of your house....

Thanks for the replies.

I have already been using Pegler for my plumbing, so will possibly go Pegler for taps/shower mixers.

The glaze on what I have seen has been flawless with their Ceramic Plus tech to help water bead.

Fitting the B&Q stuff wasn't great tbh I had to bodge a few bits unfortunately and instructions were dire.

We'll go back to the showroom and have an indepth look at what is inside the toilet and under the basin - the person their already thinks I am mad as I spent more time looking under the units (for plumbing purposes) than looking at the appearance !

£200 for a toilet seat is still a hard pill to swallow though !!!

that is probably worth another £50 on the value of your house....

haha very true.

As we are not planning to move (unless they abolish stamp duty) I don't mind spending the extra as I can enjoy it for the next 30 years.

Also the bath will be out of warranty after then !

Have Pegler taps in kitchen and utility and they are excellent. You can feel from the action they are better made and look as good as they day they were fitted (if I wipe them)

Have Pegler taps in kitchen and utility and they are excellent. You can feel from the action they are better made and look as good as they day they were fitted (if I wipe them)

And Pegler are a Doncaster company too!

haha very true.

As we are not planning to move (unless they abolish stamp duty) I don't mind spending the extra as I can enjoy it for the next 30 years.

And there's your dilemma...I hope you still like it in 10 years let alone 30.

We had a V&B sink in the kitchen which got chipped when a mug fell on it. The insurance paid us well for it and we got a £50 SS sink and used the rest to put a new cloakroom in. The V&B was then recycled into a rental property we had.

Last edited:
haha very true.

If you're going for an over bath shower with mixer look at Aqualisa Aquamixa Thermo, for seats and accessories Roper Rhodes are also well worth a look.

Whitey said:
^ cheers Stevie, now you got me looking at digital showers !

Mira also do some decent digital showers. (Note - I am biased here!)

MIRA attempted to flood my house last month when the plastic clamp which holds the connection of the mains inlet to the shower unit decided to just break in the middle of the night. MIRA's first response was that I must have had a severe mains water surge...then they decided the unit being 13 years old was only designed to last 10 years.

Luckily the shower door was closed because the water was going in all directions at mains pressure.

Absolutely, across the range probably better than Aqualisa, I think Aqualisa have the edge with their bath/shower mixer though.
Mira are a part of Kohler aren't they, how's that working out?

stevieb15 said:
Absolutely, across the range probably better than Aqualisa, I think Aqualisa have the edge with their bath/shower mixer though. Mira are a part of Kohler aren't they, how's that working out?

Pretty well - about 12 years since the takeover now. The companies are a very good fit. Look out for more Kohler products coming online in the UK - to date it's been a more limited offering but more lines coming in. New factory near Hull now making some very good shower trays as well.

I was always a fan of Alstone, indeed all the old Caradon brands.
Much easier to work with than Blue Circle.

V and B stuff is the nuts.

Forget cheapo Mira and Aqualisa. Grohe is the only way.
Certainly another premium brand

I remember going round all this a few years back when we upgraded our bathroom and , after looking at lots of products , ended up putting in Phillipe Starck components .

The bathroom still looks modern , even futuristic , and stands out from most others .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom