Village car meet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is the SM as streamlined as it looks - what's the cd factor ?

Indeed it is, if not moreso. Drag coefficient was 0.26, which was outstanding for a production car in 1972.

EDIT: There seems to be some dispute about this, as some sources quote 0.33, which seems more realistic. The 0.26 figure was published in Motor Trend some time before the car's launch, so may have related to a prototype version.

Last edited:
outstanding for a production car in 1972./QUOTE]

Brake discs all round and rain sensing wipers too. :cool:

I think most, if not all SM's are manual though. Anyone know the reason for this?

I guy I know (;)) told me that many of the useful/desired things on todays cars were first invented, or first used by Citreon.

[
Brake discs all round and rain sensing wipers too. :cool:

I think most, if not all SM's are manual though. Anyone know the reason for this?

They come as manual or Automatic. Personally I prefer the manuals.

Watch how little you have to turn the steering wheel...it's only 2 turns lock to lock and self centring even when stationery.
It's proper speed variable power steering, with no direct connection between the steering wheel and rack when powered.

[YOUTUBE]1zhHr3CJbz8&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

First pic spoiled by that green 107 getting in the way! :devil: Redeemed later though I see.

Also, your Lanchester is actually a Daimler DB18 convertible. ;)

Looks like a great meet - is it a monthly thing? I'll have to pop down myself if so.

2nd Tuesday, May to September.

I expect you in the Jag and Jay in the Widebody next meet. Get there before 6:30pm latest as otherwise the cricket pitch is full and you have to park in the overspill field...with all the general riff-raff..

Does this actually happen at a car meet like this? I would expect this at the Fast Car meets/barry boy cruises

This seems to make hte Police nervous for soem reason.

This month it was four traffic cars, two motorcycles and two ANPR (I hope) vans.
last month got the helicopter as well.
Also I don't think they like people dragging really old cars out of hay bales and driving them there.

[YOUTUBE]5gcgrkmDb7M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DAuB2DvX8Zk&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

They come as manual or Automatic. Personally I prefer the manuals.

Watch how little you have to turn the steering wheel...it's only 2 turns lock to lock and self centring even when stationery.
It's proper speed variable power steering, with no direct connection between the steering wheel and rack when powered.

[YOUTUBE]1zhHr3CJbz8&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Just had a read about the gearboxes. The Automatics are a 3-speed gearbox.

It really is a fantastic looking car and if I could take a car home from the show it would be that SM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Citroen_SM_at_Anet.jpg

It really is a fantastic looking car and if I could take a car home from the show it would be that SM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Citroen_SM_at_Anet.jpg

There should be a few at the Citroen national rally this w/e near Peterborough, including the Guy who's I was looking around/sitting in on Tuesday after I told him.

More on the SM...note the headlamps bit... tri-xenons, here I come..:D

Indeed it is, if not moreso. Drag coefficient was 0.26, which was outstanding for a production car in 1972.

EDIT: There seems to be some dispute about this, as some sources quote 0.33, which seems more realistic. The 0.26 figure was published in Motor Trend some time before the car's launch, so may have related to a prototype version.

It's definitely in the 2's. Even the Citroen GS which was launched at the same time is only 0.31 in the X1 guise.
Citroen pioneered low drag cars because French taxation rules made large engines unsaleable.

It's definitely in the 2's. Even the Citroen GS which was launched at the same time is only 0.31 in the X1 guise.
Citroen pioneered low drag cars because French taxation rules made large engines unsaleable.

I wonder what the MPG figures are for the 2.7 and 3.0ltr engines?

Nice thread, Will. I like this kind of thing.

:thumb:

Great post - thanks. Loved the sound of the BSA Rocket 3 with the raygun silencers. The modern Triumph triples never sound as 'sweet' despite having the same 120 degree firing interval.

Don't get too excited - I'm guessing most of those were requiring some degree of restoration. Good ones will be well into five figures.

I agree, MOCAS. Maybe I should have said varying prices. I stated earlier that £20,000 - £30,000 was a fair indicator to values, although as you say, some will be sold for less/more.

The exceptions are the SM opera (HERE) of which only 8 were made and the replica Presidential limousines (HERE). :)

I wonder how an ANPR camera would handle the front number plate situated behind the grille window?

Looking at the photo of the US-spec car in post #28, it can be virtually impossible to even see the number plate with the naked eye when it's behind glass, so I don't hold out much hope for ANPR cameras.

Can't think of any cars that follow this practice today, but some buses still do. Both the examples below are sporting rear number plates, but they are completely obscured by reflections and/or viewing angle. Time for a tightening of the display regualtions, perhaps...

stnp.jpg

This months meet is Tommorrow evening, if anyone is interested.

Jay, a widebody SEC would be a rare beast... ;)

Nice thread, Will. I like this kind of thing.

:thumb:

Just for you I went along this month too..I got there early so it wasn't quite as packed with bikes, but still too late to park in the main field.

There was another eclectic mix of stuff..

P1020163-1.jpg

Do you really need 1400cc for a sports bike?

P1020164-1.jpg

Another XK120

P1020166-1.jpg

P1020167-1.jpg

P1020168-1.jpg

P1020170-1.jpg

Nissan GT-R

P1020171-1.jpg

P1020249.jpg

The Po-lice... looks like they got lost on vacation...

P1020247.jpg

P1020175-1.jpg

A few Mercs...

P1020174-1.jpg

including this immaculate W123CE..

P1020197-1.jpg

With only 42k on the clock..

P1020199-1.jpg

Grr...Targa..

P1020203.jpg

And a few more Beetles.

P1020184-1.jpg

P1020208.jpg

More German luxury motoring...

P1020209.jpg

'Vette.

P1020216.jpg

P1020223.jpg

Very Noble cars..

P1020220.jpg

P1020182-1.jpg

Packard.

P1020188-1.jpg

Healey doing what it's made for.

P1020192-1.jpg

Uprated herald.

P1020225.jpg

P1020226.jpg

Home designed and built... 2.0 litre Vectra mechanicals.

P1020227.jpg

Look at this detail.

P1020228.jpg

Riley.

P1020206.jpg

P1020183-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom