Village SOS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
This week it's the Barge Inn at Honeypot. If you look at the photo in my signature that was taken when a German Policeman had had a beer there , got into his hire car and read the sat nav. Thought the canal was a road.

Just watched it as up until a couple of months ago we lived a mile along the road from there. Interesting info about your sig photo :) It's Honey Street by the way.

Regards,

just down the road from me, pub is now owned by a co-operative I think, you meet some interesting folks there.

Had a boat at Pewsey for a while. Often stopped there but it wasn't too pleasant. We ate on the boat but had a drink. :D

just down the road from me, pub is now owned by a co-operative I think, you meet some interesting folks there.

Like, German U-boat commanders.

The Barge Inn at Honeystreet

A good 35 years ago when I was a kid, my parents used to drag a caravan from south east London to just outside Pewsey for our summer holiday. While I was under age to go in the bar of a pub, there were a number of pubs in the area that had "snug" bars where kids like me could partake of games like Bar Billiards and enjoy soup in a basket (or whatever was on the menu) while the adults had a pint. I remember many happy times in the snug bar and garden at The Barge Inn and also at the Bar Billiards table of the French Horn pub, which is right on the canal on the Marlborough road.

Fast forward to earlier this year and my now 81-year-old father was spending the weekend with us. Knowing that he hadn't been around that area for many years (neither had I come to that!) and being a rather pleasant Sunday morning we took a drive out to Pewsey and then tried to search out some of the places he and my mum took me as a kid. Neither of us could remember the name of The Barge, nor the name of the village, but as soon as I passed The Seven Stars I knew we were heading in the right direction. Once I saw the sign for Honeystreet I knew we'd found it! We had a most pleasant ploughman's lunch and a pint in the garden followed by a walk up the towpath and back.

Happy days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom