Vintage 2 Gallon Fuel Cans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
Does anyone know anything about the old 2 gallon fuel cans and in particular what colours they would have been originally?

I have a 1937 Shell Aviation Spirit Can, that I have just had bead blasted and I want to re-paint it as it would have been. I have been told that it may have been painted gold originally but I can't find anything to confirm.

There are many of these type of cans around that have just been painted whatever the owner thought.

I also have two others to restore so any help would be much appreciated.

Leigh.

GIYF...

513.jpg

This advert from 1920 suggests that they would indeed have been gold. That may just be for show, though, and it could have changed by 1937...

3.jpg340x234.730769231.jpg

This advert from 1920 suggests that they would indeed have been gold. That may just be for show, though, and it could have changed by 1937...

3.jpg340x234.730769231.jpg

That looks like the one, think I'll paint it Gold and see what it comes out like.

Now to find the right shade of Gold!

A quick email to Shell UK would probably work. There's a dedicated company for aero fuels (Shell Aviation) who I'm sure would know.

I've already been on Google Keith and spotted that one but it's not original. Thanks anyway.

No worries mate. I had a quick google, and the description alongside that image made a big play about it being the original colour scheme. And me being admittedly ignorant to colour schemes of 1937 Shell fuel fans took it at face value!

No worries mate. I had a quick google, and the description alongside that image made a big play about it being the original colour scheme. And me being admittedly ignorant to colour schemes of 1937 Shell fuel fans took it at face value!

The lettering and emblems were never picked out on original cans, they were all one colour.

never ceases to amaze me- the wealth of knowledge on here!
... even trivia!:thumb:

whats a good can worth? I still use one for my lawnmower fuel! its knocking around in the boot of the car at the moment until I get it filled again.

Cheers

:)

whats a good can worth? I still use one for my lawnmower fuel! its knocking around in the boot of the car at the moment until I get it filled again.

Cheers

It depends on the condition and how rare it is. I recently saw a rare 'Pratts' petrol that needed restoration go for £300.

The run of the mill ones go for between £7-15 unrestored. The slightly rarer ones go for around £20-30 unrestored.

Run of the mill restored ones go for around £40-50.

Which one do you have?

I have 3 or maybe 4 knocking around ... they are mostly users as I just liked them as fuel cans, nice brass tops and threads, easy to use.

Just went out to look for them before it got too dark ...

BP x 1
Esso x 1
unknown x 1
Shell x 3
Pratts x 2

Some are needing repairs, most have still old paint on them. Thought I might have hit the mother load, but looks like I'll have to keep working for a year or two yet! ;)

Cheers

I have 3 or maybe 4 knocking around ... they are mostly users as I just liked them as fuel cans, nice brass tops and threads, easy to use.

Just went out to look for them before it got too dark ...

BP x 1
Esso x 1
unknown x 1
Shell x 3
Pratts x 2

Some are needing repairs, most have still old paint on them. Thought I might have hit the mother load, but looks like I'll have to keep working for a year or two yet! ;)

Cheers

Cool, post some pics up when you have time, be interested to see them:)

Does anyone know anything about the old 2 gallon fuel cans and in particular what colours they would have been originally?

I have a 1937 Shell Aviation Spirit Can, that I have just had bead blasted and I want to re-paint it as it would have been. I have been told that it may have been painted gold originally but I can't find anything to confirm.

I doubt it would have been painted gold, the golden coloured ones are made from brass, the painted ones from steel.

I doubt it would have been painted gold, the golden coloured ones are made from brass, the painted ones from steel.

My one is steel, I've just had it bead blasted back to bare metal. The only part of the can that is brass is the spout and the cap. I have never seen a brass one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom